Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    OK before I give you the full solution I'll try and lead you through it as it will be more useful than me just telling you how to do it. What have you done on the last question so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So I said let the position vector of the Lighthouse be (xi + yj)
    then I plugged in 1 in the equation in the previous part and made it equal to x

then I plugged in 1.5 to the equation in the previous part and made the i vector equal to -1 and the j vector equal to 1.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozo123)
    So I said let the position vector of the Lighthouse be (xi + yj)
    then I plugged in 1 in the equation in the previous part and made it equal to x

then I plugged in 1.5 to the equation in the previous part and made the i vector equal to -1 and the j vector equal to 1.?
    Try doing this. Firstly work out the position vector of the boat at both t =1 and t =1.5. As the lighthouse is directly west at 10 am, what can you deduce about the J component of the lighthouses position vector?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try doing this. Firstly work out the position vector of the boat at both t =1 and t =1.5. As the lighthouse is directly west at 10 am, what can you deduce about the J component of the lighthouses position vector?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the J component of the lighthouse is 0?

ReputationRep:
    the J component of the lighthouse is 0?
    Correct. Now if I move south west, the distance I move down is the distance I move west. Can you work it out from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Correct. Now if I move south west, the distance I move down is the distance I move west. Can you work it out from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes but if you gave me another question and it wasn't the same format I wouldn't be able to do it

ReputationRep:
    yes but if you gave me another question and it wasn't the same format I wouldn't be able to do it
    Its exactly the same principle every time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its exactly the same principle every time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the questions are always different, for example when Ship A is moving (2i-3j) of Ship B? you wouldn't use that method would you?

ReputationRep:
    the questions are always different, for example when Ship A is moving (2i-3j) of Ship B? you wouldn't use that method would you?
    There is some variation but they are all essentially using the same prinicples

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is some variation but they are all essentially using the same prinicples

Posted from TSR Mobile
    may you give me some instructions on what to learn please?

ReputationRep:
    may you give me some instructions on what to learn please?
    I mean in maths you can't really 'revise' as such. I would recommend that you look back at the vectors chapter in the textbook and between that and past papers just do as many questions as you can. The more you practice, the easier questions will get

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2015

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.