Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Personal profile is to brief. It needs to say a bit more about your interpersonal skills and a bit on things you are good at ie, talking to customers etc.
    Education bit needs to be easier to read remember the people reading this are probably reading 40 others at the same time and it's probably not their favorite job in the works so you've got about 20-30 seconds to peak thier interest. Make it easier to read with the best bits at the top.
    Will look at the rest when i get home if you still need input

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    Re the informal/formal grammar: I was told by a school or college careers person a while ago that you should go between them rather than stick to one - otherwise it comes across as either too formal or too informal, so changing it up to make it "on the fence" is better. Should I ignore her? Lol. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know who you are getting this advice/feedback from but it is awful!

No - stick to one or the other for consistency purposes. Otherwise it just looks odd. And if anything go with the formal as this is a formal document!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I don't know who you are getting this advice/feedback from but it is awful!

No - stick to one or the other for consistency purposes. Otherwise it just looks odd. And if anything go with the formal as this is a formal document!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with this formal is best

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference with writing being formal (such as grammatically) and your language being overly formal and pompous. Make sure your grammar is formal, but the language you use to describe yourself and your experiences isn't (if that makes sense).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone that offered advice (and basically rewrote my CV for me!!) - I have revised it and think it looks better. Let me know if I've made any glaringly obvious mistakes!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8unvcu5kk...dated.doc?dl=0

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone that offered advice (and basically rewrote my CV for me!!) - I have revised it and think it looks better. Let me know if I've made any glaringly obvious mistakes!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8unvcu5kk...dated.doc?dl=0
    It looks like your formatting is inconsistent. Your heading for your work in Sri Lanka is not in bold like your other work experiences.

Don't put any body of text in underline like seen with the first example in your extra curricular section

I still think it's a bit verbose, but that's a style and personal preference thing more than anything.

I think your first sentence of your about me section should actually be in your opening statement.

It get rid of the word "General" in the heading General Skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It looks like your formatting is inconsistent. Your heading for your work in Sri Lanka is not in bold like your other work experiences.

Don't put any body of text in underline like seen with the first example in your extra curricular section

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I noticed the bold and underlining after I posted it thanks tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I noticed the bold and underlining after I posted it thanks tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See the other comments in the edited version of my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Customer service and time/task management do not need to be capitalised.

You can get rid of the "Dates" wording in all the entries of your work experience - it is clear they are dates!

In your Sri Lanka experience it would read better as presentation skills rather than presentational skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Customer service and time/task management do not need to be capitalised

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What does verbose mean?

They were capitalised in the revised CV someone sent over to me and I never changed them but I did that too just now. Will move over the sentence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What does verbose mean?

They were capitalised in the revised CV someone sent over to me and I never changed them but I did that too just now. Will move over the sentence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Verbose = too wordy

You can afford to be more concise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    merge the summary and about me, into one, then change the about me into hobbies and interests and use that for things like cooking and reading etc

Also in your general skills i'd take out the excellent, good, proficient stuff. and change it all to one positive point. as these are your skills and your expected to be good at them you dont want to tell them which your best at or they might right you off before even giving you a chance if say, they were after really good IT skills and your only "proficient" whereas you'd probably be able to do it just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of saying "For two years I..." when you talk about your blog, I would put "From 2012 to 2014 I....."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Change to

"but I am also a great team player"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replies ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.