Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    I don't think Russia is totally benign. I just don't think the Western countries and the EU are either.
    While I would agree in so far as no state is totally benign, I don't see anything that the EU, US, or Canada have done that parallels what Hitler did.

The Russians simply do not have a leg to stand on as signatories to the UN Charter invading a UN state without a security council resolution and annexing part of it, especially after having criticised the US for a decade or more over Iraq and Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    They've been doing it for years. Rest assure they will probably target southern cities and leave northerners alone.
    I have written to that nice Mr Putin to ask him to exclude Bethnal Green. Got an answer back in Russian which Google Translate thinks says "you purple not nuclear go happy back and sweep with brushes your Green is total out of nuclear not go button press and then we strike hahah" or similar.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who want to invade a kip like the UK?Apart from chip and fish shops and bad weather,we have nothing to offer (joke).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    While I would agree in so far as no state is totally benign, I don't see anything that the EU, US, or Canada have done that parallels what Hitler did.

The Russians simply do not have a leg to stand on as signatories to the UN Charter invading a UN state without a security council resolution and annexing part of it, especially after having criticised the US for a decade or more over Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Yes, their conduct has been far worse, especially the current action in Ukraine - Crimea is arguably different because of the unclear status of that region, it does seem to be a valid argument that it was always part of Russia traditionally and in modern times has identified as Russian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)

I wasn't saying that what they have done parallels what Hitler did. I'm saying that there aren't innocent in this and the situation in Ukraine came about as a direct result of their actions.

It's not really fair to compare the Crimean annexation to Iraq or Afghanistan in my opinion. The people of Crimea want to be part of Russia and Crimea was historically part of Russia. This isn't even close to the situation of Iraq and Afghanistan even if there may have been high-minded reasons for those wars. I recognise that this is the same argument that Hitler made over the Sudetenland. Crimea wouldn't even be part of Russia now if the political situation in Ukraine hadn't changed so drastically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    I wasn't saying that what they have done parallels what Hitler did. I'm saying that there aren't innocent in this and the situation in Ukraine came about as a direct result of their actions.

It's not really fair to compare the Crimean annexation to Iraq or Afghanistan in my opinion. The people of Crimea want to be part of Russia and Crimea was historically part of Russia. This isn't even close to the situation of Iraq and Afghanistan even if there may have been high-minded reasons for those wars. I recognise that this is the same argument that Hitler made over the Sudetenland. Crimea wouldn't even be part of Russia now if the political situation in Ukraine hadn't changed so drastically.
    Afghanistan was authorised by a security council resolution and Iraq arguably was (that is the position of the US, although it's open to dispute), neither country was annexed or lost territory, and both were returned to the control of elected civilian governments as soon as possible.

Annexing bits of other countries is simply illegal and it does not matter what post-facto referendum one holds.

Now Russia is free to state that the UN is just a lot of old codswallop and appeal to the inherent justice of its cause - and I'm not completely unsold on that although I think it sets a very dangerous precedent - but that has not been its position in so far as it has been able to use international law against its own rivals.

Ultimately Russia is just an amoral power player straight out of the 18th century. I don't want to go on some crusade to destroy them but equally I want them to be clear that there is a fence between me and them and that if they cross that fence they are going to be squashed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    Every time I go on on the DailyMail, Russian planes have been flying over the UK, what is going on?????
    I found your problem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Every time I go on on the DailyMail, Russian planes have been flying over the UK, what is going on?????
    The DM have only been making a big thing of it recently, it's happened since the end of the cold war on average once a fortnight or more.

ReputationRep:
    All that's a long-term game that's been played on both sides for decades.

What I'm actually concerned about is Crimea, and what it suggests about Putin. That's quite terrifying really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    I wouldn't bother trusting the Daily Mail on this. Russia is testing our airspace responses in retaliation for years of NATO doing the same thing (and more intensely) to them.

This anti-Russian rhetoric is really worrying, not because they never do anything wrong, but because it's constantly with the thought of war and nationalism.
    Wise words there Professor, but I may start building a bunker just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comeback)
    I found your problem.
    hmmmm the Daily Mail do chat a lot of **** but they have the BEST pictures

ReputationRep:
    You obviously haven't read the articles properly, they have been flying in international airspace not in UK airspace. They are just testing our pathetic air defences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasonpt)
    You obviously haven't read the articles properly, they have been flying in international airspace not in UK airspace. They are just testing our pathetic air defences.
    Why are our air defences pathetic? I don't think our security is bad, my dad was pinching a handful of some spinach from a farmer a few weeks ago (on the motorway) and I'm not lying, 5 police officers caught up to him, 5 minutes after he left.

ReputationRep:
    Why are our air defences pathetic? I don't think our security is bad, my dad was pinching a handful of some spinach from a farmer a few weeks ago (on the motorway) and I'm not lying, 5 police officers caught up to him, 5 minutes after he left.
    Compared to Russia's they are, we have ordered some naval planes for an aircraft carrier that we don't have etc

ReputationRep:
    Compared to Russia's they are, we have ordered some naval planes for an aircraft carrier that we don't have etc
    Why would we do something so dum? There HAS to be more to this.........

ReputationRep:
    Why would we do something so dum? There HAS to be more to this.........
    Because the British government thought it would be a good idea to order F-35 fighter jets that are still in the prototype stage with fundamental electronic and weapon systems problems that have costed the US tax payer over 1.25 Trillion USD

ReputationRep:
    Because the British government thought it would be a good idea to order F-35 fighter jets that are still in the prototype stage with fundamental electronic and weapon systems problems that have costed the US tax payer over 1.25 Trillion USD
    OH DEAR

So now what's going to happen?

ReputationRep:
    yes, start learning russian if you want to have a job in the future. And name your son Vladimir

ReputationRep:
    OH DEAR

So now what's going to happen?
    Nothing,we just wont have a capable navy until they are made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmp)
    yes, start learning russian if you want to have a job in the future. And name your son Vladimir
    looooooool

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.