Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jai Sandhu)
    I loved Warwick, thought the campus was amazing so I turned down UCL and Imperial for Warwick firm and Bath insurance.
    if it works for you there that is all good ...
    everybody is different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    if it works for you there that is all good ...
    everybody is different
    Fair enough, Bath is nice, Bristol was my other option which is also nice, but Bath has a better reputation than Bristol so I decided Bath as an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    when I was doing my PhD I was unfortunate to be sharing office space with another 4 students from Warwick. (Warwick is non existent for physically applied maths; just pure, stats, more pure and more stats ...)
    well all 4 were "R-soles".
    I heard that Warwick has one of the most (if not the most) flexible maths courses in the country, meaning you can pick all your optional modules from say the physics department and essentially do applied maths alongside the core maths modules, so if that is true then yes, applied maths definitely exists at Warwick.

Just an update: I've decided to keep Warwick firmed after further research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnperp)
    I heard that Warwick has one of the most (if not the most) flexible maths courses in the country, meaning you can pick all your optional modules from say the physics department and essentially do applied maths alongside the core maths modules, so if that is true then yes, applied maths definitely exists at Warwick.

all the best ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    when I was doing my PhD I was unfortunate to be sharing office space with another 4 students from Warwick. (Warwick is non existent for physically applied maths; just pure, stats, more pure and more stats ...)
    well all 4 were "R-soles".
    I know this was a small sample but I have formed an opinion about the type of student who goes to Warwick.

My opinion for the institution has not changed much ...
    I see them as Cambridge "wannabbies"
    Across all departments you only need to look at UCL and Warwick Internationally
    (read also post 8)
    They don't have mechanics there?
    I'd like quite a lot of mechanics in my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demigawdz)
    They don't have mechanics there?
    I'd like quite a lot of mechanics in my course.
    I think it is mostly pure and stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I think it is mostly pure and stats
    Even more reason to work harder for Cambridge then lol

I've heard Southampton doesn't have much pure math- is this true? (anybody?)

ReputationRep:
    definitely!!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    definitely!!!
    lol
    it's not that hard

im intrigued by your quick pic response
    just curious to how many random pics like that you must have on your pc lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I've heard Southampton doesn't have much pure math- is this true? (anybody?)
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/maths/u...s_modules.page

It looks like there's a lot of pure maths in first year, but you get to choose what you want to do from second year on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/maths/u...s_modules.page

It looks like there's a lot of pure maths in first year, but you get to choose what you want to do from second year on.
    Thanks

Maybe the person wasn't a good source of info-
    in all fairness he didn't even want to do maths anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnperp)

I know this thread is a week old now, but for future readers it's really Bath which has the ultra flexible degree which gives you an incredible amount of flexibility in its maths degree, right from second year, giving choice from pure, various mechanics, statistics, probability, physics, computer science, economics, management, ...

Bath's is way, **way** more flexible than Warwick's.

ReputationRep:
    1 in II, why didn't you go for Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omghacklol)
    1 in II, why didn't you go for Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They want A level done over 2 years, that would probaly be the reason.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for the University of Bath, but I can, as a soon to be graduate of Warwick, speak for the University of Warwick.

Make no mistake, the content is genuinely challenging, but it is supposed to be. I remember my first year vividly, for all the wrong reasons: I came from being a high achiever in A levels (and STEP) to barely scraping a pass in my first two January exams. I eventually pulled myself up to a 2.1 after the first two years, but that initial experience has never departed from me. It has stayed with me and made me a very strong person. One thing to also note is that the content is very heavily pure based. I believe Bath have a few more applied modules available so whether this comes into your thinking or not is another consideration you might need to have.

Aside from the academic side of things, Warwick is a very social place; since the university is somewhat isolated from the more urban areas of Coventry and Warwickshire, we have extremely active societies here and we do in fact have the most societies of any university in the UK. I got heavily involved during my time here on two society executive committees - it's great fun and has truly added a lot to my experience here that I am not sure I would have got somewhere else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.