Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    I have severe doubts I'll even meet my predicted grades.
    Don't be like that! Please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldiers)
    Nice one! I got a provisional mark of 73 or 74 out of 75, so I'm pleased. Did you print yours off single-sided? Mine was 400 pages and I printed it off double-sided a while ago and I can't remember it being that thick.

I'm taking Business Studies and Psychology and I'm neglecting Computing for a bit because of all the essay-based work I'm doing and that Computing is a very late exam (23rd June I believe).

How are you guys finding COMP3? It's great that there's finally a thread here for us A2 students.
    It was printed single sided, which made the people in our reprographics room nearly have a heart attack when I told them it needed printing!

Yes I'm trying to neglect it too, but I'm trying to also get rounded revision in before the cramming starts!

ReputationRep:
    Nice one! I got a provisional mark of 73 or 74 out of 75, so I'm pleased. Did you print yours off single-sided? Mine was 400 pages and I printed it off double-sided a while ago and I can't remember it being that thick.

I'm taking Business Studies and Psychology and I'm neglecting Computing for a bit because of all the essay-based work I'm doing and that Computing is a very late exam (23rd June I believe).

How are you guys finding COMP3? It's great that there's finally a thread here for us A2 students.
    Have complex is your system? I have a feeling that I overdid the work I had to do. I think either my teacher marked us harshly or that other teachers are marking very leniently. What did you in cooperate to show complexity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petick)
    It was printed single sided, which made the people in our reprographics room nearly have a heart attack when I told them it needed printing!

Yes I'm trying to neglect it too, but I'm trying to also get rounded revision in before the cramming starts!
    Haha I see! My Computing class nominated me to print everyone's coursework at the same time and I sent it to the Math's department printer and a Maths teacher went insane after I told her that I'm printing over 2000 pages all in one go. :P

Yeah my Computing lessons are very relaxed at the moment, so I'm trying to do a lot more COMP3 work during them to make sure I covered everything. Good luck with your revision!

(Original post by Async)
    Have complex is your system? I have a feeling that I overdid the work I had to do. I think either my teacher marked us harshly or that other teachers are marking very leniently. What did you in cooperate to show complexity?
    It's nice to talk to you again, Async.

I got 20/20 on my technical solution so I'd say it is pretty complex. It's a CMS for a Scout Group, so the main complexities would include the adding of skills and badges, managing the relationships between parent and scout and just general administration for the users system.

I'm not too sure whether my teacher marked leniently. In my class, we have 4 A*s, 1 A and 1 B, but we all are pretty good at the subject.

The algorithm designs and the testing would support the complexity of the project I suppose. Seeing that my screenshots of the testing was over 30 pages long, it shows the complexity in itself as it measures different aspects of what my system can actually do. I strengthened the marks on my technical solution by commenting thoroughly on major aspects of my back-end code and cross-referencing it with my algorithm design in order to show complexity, so I hope this answers your question.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to talk to you again, Async. I got 20/20 on my technical solution so I'd say it is pretty complex. It's a CMS for a Scout Group, so the main complexities would include the adding of skills and badges, managing the relationships between parent and scout and just general administration for the users system.I'm not too sure whether my teacher marked leniently. In my class, we have 4 A*s, 1 A and 1 B, but we all are pretty good at the subject.The algorithm designs and the testing would support the complexity of the project I suppose. Seeing that my screenshots of the testing was over 30 pages long, it shows the complexity in itself as it measures different aspects of what my system can actually do. I strengthened the marks on my technical solution by commenting thoroughly on major aspects of my back-end code and cross-referencing it with my algorithm design in order to show complexity, so I hope this answers your question.
    Well done on your grade..
    If you were wondering, I got an A one mark of an A*(not happy). But I'm still not content with that A lol. An A* would look solid.

Anyway, we should all showcase our projects after we all get our A2 results. Maybe to help the new A2 students on what to do for their Comp4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Well done on your grade..
    If you were wondering, I got an A one mark of an A*(not happy). But I'm still not content with that A lol. An A* would look solid.

Anyway, we should all showcase our projects after we all get our A2 results. Maybe to help the new A2 students on what to do for their Comp4
    Thanks. Well done on that A, still impressive. I've had worse back in GCSE where I was 1 UMS mark (the grade boundaries were 30 UMS per grade) off an A*. I was still very pleased getting an A though.

Yes we totally should. I'll try and do my part by giving some advice in the COMP4 section of the wikibook.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Well done on that A, still impressive. I've had worse back in GCSE where I was 1 UMS mark (the grade boundaries were 30 UMS per grade) off an A*. I was still very pleased getting an A though.

Yes we totally should. I'll try and do my part by giving some advice in the COMP4 section of the wikibook.
    There's nothing worse than being one mark from the next grade. Life is shambolic sometimes ahahaha. Good luck with yours. Hows psychology going? I'm going to flunk that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    There's nothing worse than being one mark from the next grade. Life is shambolic sometimes ahahaha. Good luck with yours. Hows psychology going? I'm going to flunk that..
    Haha definitely! Psychology is going well I guess. I'm neglecting Computing because of all the essays I have to remember for Psychology. It's a pain learning over 20 essay plans and also the research methods. Hopefully it goes well for both of us.

How are you doing in it?

ReputationRep:
    Haha definitely! Psychology is going well I guess. I'm neglecting Computing because of all the essays I have to remember for Psychology. It's a pain learning over 20 essay plans and also the research methods. Hopefully it goes well for both of us.

How are you doing in it?
    Terrible, ain't nobody got time to be preparing for 20 essays. LOOOL. I'm going to play it risky and do practice the essays that I suspect will come up... That's sorta my only hope..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Sadly the computing thread won't be anywhere as popular as the other subjects one. Apparently there's a less than a thousand students in the whole of the UK taking the Comp3 paper.
    Seriously? Where did you hear that statistic from? That's crazy if it's true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamGrip)
    my teachers. they might be wrong tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Terrible, ain't nobody got time to be preparing for 20 essays. LOOOL. I'm going to play it risky and do practice the essays that I suspect will come up... That's sorta my only hope..
    I might do the same as I'll be focusing more on Loopa's predictions.

(Original post by JamGrip)

Last years statistics showed that over 2000 students did Computing. I'm not sure about this years though.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2014.PDF

Type: CTRL + F Computing

ReputationRep:

Last years statistics showed that over 2000 students did Computing. I'm not sure about this years though.

I never even knew that, it's so weird! I knew not everywhere offered it, but I thought it was the more popular course board at least.

ReputationRep:

Remember that's both AS and A2. More students would be in AS, so I assume the amount that were A2 would be so much less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petick)
    I never even knew that, it's so weird! I knew not everywhere offered it, but I thought it was the more popular course board at least.
    Is good, it means we're the special ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Is good, it means we're the special ones
    Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I find my downfall with COMP 3 is Explain-type and Define-type questions. I've got everything else cracked, but I find it difficult to anticipate what the exam wants from such a question. Does anyone have a good resource for key definitions and comparisons, which (for example) covers definitions of handshaking, or LAN vs WAN? I know what the difference is, just how to put it in terms the mark scheme accepts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackmatic)
    I find my downfall with COMP 3 is Explain-type and Define-type questions. I've got everything else cracked, but I find it difficult to anticipate what the exam wants from such a question. Does anyone have a good resource for key definitions and comparisons, which (for example) covers definitions of handshaking, or LAN vs WAN? I know what the difference is, just how to put it in terms the mark scheme accepts!
    The AQA book is actually quite good with some of their definitions this includes the handshaking and LAN vs WAN. I was doing a past paper and a question about handshaking came up and I wrote down what I read in the book and upon checking the mark scheme I found out that my answer was on point. This is similar with the LAN vs WAN. So just read the book it's better than most of the board books such as OCR. You don't have to word for word copy what the mark scheme says there are always AW marks (Alternative wording). So as long as you make sense and the answer is correct you should get your marks.

ReputationRep:
    Also does anyone have any revision guides for Comp 1, there was one last year but i lost the file.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielb7)
    Also does anyone have any revision guides for Comp 1, there was one last year but i lost the file.
    How did your Comp4 go? Was it good?
    Are you also resitting Comp1? Welcome to the club!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 12, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.