Turn on thread page Beta

do we deem the lifes of certain people more important than others? watch

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, yes. This is not something to be proud of, but is rather a demonstration of human irrationality.

Today, 17,000 children will die of preventable, extreme-poverty related diseases, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. If 17,000 children died in Britain today, there would almost certainly be a massive outcry, and a massive charitable campaign.

Humans tend to value the lives of those in close proximity to them more than the lives of those overseas or further away from them, which is why many people support local charities even though the good that they do (for relatively better off people) is far outweighed by the good that the most cost-effective global charities aiming to tackle extreme poverty do (for people who are much worse off).

Of course, humans value the lives of their family and close friends more than the lives of others as well. To some extent, this can be justified: the only people a son or daughter can rely upon in their everyday lives are their parents.

Our inconsistency extends to nonhuman animals as well. When a fire broke out in a dogs' shelter in Manchester, there was a highly publicised campaign to help it rebuild and a lot of sympathy for the dogs themselves. Yet, billions of pigs (who are just as intelligent, if not more so, than dogs), are slaughtered each year and the same people would not bat an eyelid. Again, humans are more familiar with dogs than with pigs, so they have a greater emotional response to the plight of dogs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and that is right and normal.

ReputationRep:
    its an inherrant fact that people are going to value others lives more than someone else, it just depends on what criteria you use but either way people arent equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    I believe the lives of some people are more important than others based on them, not their ethnicity or religion.

For example, I would consider your average joe more important than a serial killer.
    Are you talking about yourself or generally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Are you talking about yourself or generally?
    I'm talking about myself, I can't speak for everyone. But I imagine that many would also view the life of an average law abiding citizen as more valuable than a serial killer or a rapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    I'm talking about myself, I can't speak for everyone. But I imagine that many would also view the life of an average law abiding citizen as more valuable than a serial killer or a rapist.
    The lives of my family and friends are most important to me, other then that I see all life as equal whether it be a serial killer or your average joe. I was getting at your comment about ethnicity or religion, I wrongly thought you was talking generally about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    The lives of my family and friends are most important to me, other then that I see all life as equal whether it be a serial killer or your average joe. I was getting at your comment about ethnicity or religion, I wrongly thought you was talking generally about that.
    Oh, right. I view the lives of my family and friends as important but I still think that their lives are equal to most others. I see people such as serial killers or rapists as sub-human, I don't care about their lives one bit. I don't mind rehabilitation but I would lose all respect for a person if I found out that they had committed such an atrocity.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.