Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizard54142)
    I am feeling reasonably confident, this is one of my nicer modules. I need full UMS though, so that will be tough.

I am also doing C4, M1, FP2, NM. I have already done FP3, D1 and M2 this exam season. Long way to go...
    Ah, good luck i'm sure you can get full ums! And good luck in your other exams, it will all be over soon lol...

I'm taking up further maths next year so hopefully I won't have to retake any of this years exams alongside it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leechayy)
    Atm I can see myself get 80% in C3 and 100% in C4
    FP3 vectors makes C4 EZPZ:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    cross product ftw

ReputationRep:
    Can't do proof at all. The jan 12 proof I don't understand like what does that even mean. 'prove or disprove: no cube of an integer has 2 as its units digit' ehhh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _caz_)
    can't do proof at all. The jan 12 proof i don't understand like what does that even mean. 'prove or disprove: No cube of an integer has 2 as its units digit' ehhh?
    8^3 = 512

qed.

ReputationRep:
    Sup! I've finished all my AS exams so I can focus all my attention on this exam now- my last one Planning to get through all papers from June 14 to Jan 07 between now and next Thursday so yeah, hopefully I should be okay
    Does anybody have any good resources for C3?

ReputationRep:
    8^3 = 512

qed.
    Oh wow. And there I was trying to throw algebra at it. great. I really am not good at proof :/ Thanks for that

(I'm going to sound really dumb now but what does qed mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Oh wow. And there I was trying to throw algebra at it. great. I really am not good at proof :/ Thanks for that

(I'm going to sound really dumb now but what does qed mean)
    If it looks complicated it's probably not true, so you have to find a counterexample QED is Latin, "quod erat demonstrandum", meaning "which had to be proven (has been proved)". It's something nerds like me say

ReputationRep:
    If it looks complicated it's probably not true, so you have to find a counterexample QED is Latin, "quod erat demonstrandum", meaning "which had to be proven (has been proved)". It's something nerds like me say
    ahhh you learn something new everyday- and thanks for the tip!

ReputationRep:
    The only bit I don't 'get' in C3 is the when you have two curves, and you're asked to calculate the area of the shaded region - do we just minus the two area?

Jan 12 had a really tricky one where you had to use a rectangle - integral to find the area.

Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    *subscribing to thread*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbo54)
    The only bit I don't 'get' in C3 is the when you have two curves, and you're asked to calculate the area of the shaded region - do we just minus the two area?

Jan 12 had a really tricky one where you had to use a rectangle - integral to find the area.

Can anyone help?
    Can you link the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Can you link the paper?
    http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2012_Jan_c3.pdf

9(iv) and 8(iii)

What are the different ways to prove something?

ReputationRep:
    I did this paper a couple days ago! You only need one integration for both questions, the other areas you can work out geometrically as they are triangles and rectangles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    What are the different ways to prove something?
    The best proof is an algebraic proof. However you can also prove by exhaustion.

ReputationRep:
    I did this paper a couple days ago! You only need one integration for both questions, the other areas you can work out geometrically as they are triangles and rectangles.
    That's the bit I don't understand, I couldn't figure out how a rectangle - integral would give the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbo54)
    That's the bit I don't understand, I couldn't figure out how a rectangle - integral would give the area.
    I'm assuming this is 9iv)

Consider the line x=2, and the horizontal line that passes through Q. These lines (and the x and y axes) make a rectangle. f(x) and g(x) are inverse functions, so the same applies to g(x)

ReputationRep:
    So this unit is basically 70% Integration + Differentiation (Calculus)

I really like questions like 'show that the exact area of the shaded region shown in Fig. X is bla bla'

Because in the end you'll realise whether your steps were right / wrong

ReputationRep:
    Is there a quick way or rule to know when to use integration by substitution or by parts? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papayarama)
    Is there a quick way or rule to know when to use integration by substitution or by parts? Thanks
    If its one x term, sub.
    If there's more than 1, parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 20, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.