Turn on thread page Beta

Do you see drug dealing as immoral? watch

ReputationRep:
    If I was a dealer I'd only sell weed, MDxx, dissociatives, and psychedelics (and no dangerous ones either - I'd certainly sell things as they are and not try to pass off NBOMes or DOx as LSD). Heroin, benzos and stimulants would be a no-go area.
    I think what is worse than selling heroin/crack is pretending a substance is something else - this is the most dangerous aspect of buying drugs and people have died thinking bromo-dragonFLY is LSD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressedByDay)
    What about those 9 people who get executed , the consequences are detrimental.
    Was that in Indonesia? Yeah, consequences of drug dealing can be very bad.

(Original post by SSJ100)
    To be fair you don't know how you'll react unless it's actually happened to you, at the end of the day I doubt you're some poorly brought up turned drug dealer unless you turn out to be Walter White
    I'm not a drug dealer and I never intend to be one. It's just my mindset, I might feel guilt but I wouldn't blame myself for it. You're right though, if it happens I might feel differently.

(Original post by Sir Candour)
    True: most heroin addicts started with the agency to choose to take the drug. I'd personally take a route of compassion: understanding that people, in the depths of their darkest despairs, may, just once, try to escape their realities. . Everyone has their methods - games, smoking, drinking, meditating, music - just some pick poorer than others. The problem being that 'only once' is all that these most pernicious intoxicants need.

Humans have an endless capacity to install happiness, warmth, wealth in the lives of those around them; equally though, that potential is easily ruined.
    Yeah, I see that as the good thing. I don't see drug dealing as bad though, I see it as in the middle. Those people made their own choices.

(Original post by Xin Xang)
    Its people like you that make drug dealing immoral.
    aight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    If I was a dealer I'd only sell weed, MDxx, dissociatives, and psychedelics (and no dangerous ones either - I'd certainly sell things as they are and not try to pass off NBOMes or DOx as LSD). Heroin, benzos and stimulants would be a no-go area.
    I think what is worse than selling heroin/crack is pretending a substance is something else - this is the most dangerous aspect of buying drugs and people have died thinking bromo-dragonFLY is LSD.
    I agree with this, just because you're a drug dealer it doesn't mean that you can't be straight with people.

ReputationRep:
    "young ****** black but he selling white,
    twenty grand a night if he get it right"

ReputationRep:
    Drug dealing is not immoral, although drug dealers can certainly be immoral.

The imprisonment of people who sell things to willing buyers is truly immoral however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    I personally don't see anything wrong with drug dealing. As long as it involves no deception I don't have a problem with it, whether it's weed or cocaine. If I was a drug dealer I'd feel no responsibility for the effects on the people buying it. They made their choice and I'd just be making money off of it. The only rule I'd have is to not sell to children.
    Eh, 1) what about breaking the law 2) what about people that are already hopelessly adicted and you are complicit in ruining their lives 3) what about earning a living doing something which actually benefits society. You are a morality free zone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    I personally don't see anything wrong with drug dealing. As long as it involves no deception I don't have a problem with it, whether it's weed or cocaine. If I was a drug dealer I'd feel no responsibility for the effects on the people buying it. They made their choice and I'd just be making money off of it. The only rule I'd have is to not sell to children.
    They're enabling natural selection, but I still hate the producers more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSJ100)
    If the user died from heroin misuse you wouldn't feel responsible at all?
    If the user died from alcohol abuse, you wouldn't feel responsible at all?
    If the user died from solvent abuse, you wouldn't feel responsible at all?
    If the user developed lung cancer, and died a painful death from cigarettes, you wouldn't feel responsible at all?

Let's not make these emotionally loaded questions, and let's think about it logically instead. Personally I'd prefer them to be legalised, regulated and taxed, so we have a "safer" market. If heroine becomes legal tomorrow, people are hardly going to buy it en mass are they? IIRC, with Amsterdam, when they made weed legal, the number of people (From Holland) who smoked weed actually went down, cos it lost that "cool" factor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Eh, 1) what about breaking the law 2) what about people that are already hopelessly adicted and you are complicit in ruining their lives 3) what about earning a living doing something which actually benefits society. You are a morality free zone..
    1. Breaking the law in itself isn't morally wrong.

2. Their problem, not mine. They're ruining their own life.

3. I wouldn't like to be a drug dealer but I don't think anyone should always be obligated to 'benefit' society. Living in a place like Britain where the government does a great deal for people I would like to benefit society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenon7)
    They're enabling natural selection, but I still hate the producers more.
    Mhm, those that make bad choices wipe themselves out. I have no hatred towards the producers but I definitely don't see drugs as a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (illegal recreational) Drugs are a disgusting substance and business. It lowers you as a person to use them - if life isn't satisfying enough, why use drugs to make yourself feel better? If you need to escape from life, then don't, get off your ass and try to improve rather than surrendering your mind and body to biochemical torture. Substance abuse has a good chance of making you less attractive, less employable, more prone to many bodily and mental conditions, much poorer, and more likely to suffer serious injury or die.

Drug dealing is an equally disgusting occupation. Even if you can separate yourself from the guilt of someone suffering the above consequences by the excuse of "It's their decision, I'm just a part of the machine", your role in enabling people to ruin their own lives has knock-on effects for many more people than the person taking the drugs. There's a good chance that their friends and family will end up having to suffer indirectly by trying to convince them to give up, seeing them come home smelling and looking vile, and perhaps suffer financially too. If a parent gets addicted to drugs, that could lead to ruined childhoods for their children - no money spent on them, the parent's career being lost or going nowhere, and perhaps even going through divorce and the fractured life that follows.

Any 'positive' effects (other than medically prescribed) you can whittle out of thin air are nothing compared to the harm they do to people. There's no need for drugs in society or anywhere, anyone who supports the trade is doing a disservice to all of their customers, anyone who knows their customers, and communities as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    Its very often the individuals hiding behind a veneer of middle class respectability that are the real scrotes. Some of the managers we have had at work have not one iota of humanity between them.

ReputationRep:
    Drug dealers merely provide a service, it's up to everybody else whether they employ that service or not. As someone else has already stated, personal responsibility needs to be taken into account here. Drug dealers don't ruin lives, the users total lack of respect for the dealers wares combined with the ignorant attitude towards an addictive personality ruin lives.

Put it this way: if I bought a knife from any good cutlery store, then proceeded to go all Roman Bath on myself, the cutlery store wouldn't be at fault nor should they be. They merely provided the means for me to end my own life, they didn't make the decision to end my life for me.

(Original post by Star Light)
    x
    Your attitude towards drugs is horrifically narrow-minded. It's almost as if you think all drugs are the same

ReputationRep:
    If they were dealing drugs they knew were mixed and could be way more lethal than the pure product, then I think that is completely wrong. Otherwise, not really.

ReputationRep:
    It's a business, it's a criminal business personally I don't care one way or the other namely because there are only drug dealers because theres a market for it. Legalize it and there shall be no more drug dealers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Drug dealers merely provide a service, it's up to everybody else whether they employ that service or not. As someone else has already stated, personal responsibility needs to be taken into account here. Drug dealers don't ruin lives, the users total lack of respect for the dealers wares combined with the ignorant attitude towards an addictive personality ruin lives.

Put it this way: if I bought a knife from any good cutlery store, then proceeded to go all Roman Bath on myself, the cutlery store wouldn't be at fault nor should they be. They merely provided the means for me to end my own life, they didn't make the decision to end my life for me.

Your attitude towards drugs is horrifically narrow-minded. It's almost as if you think all drugs are the same
    Of course drugs are different - they all give slightly different forms of pleasure, they have different rates of addiction and different types and chances of potential consequences. Perhaps there's a line at which doses of certain drugs, produced safely, will fit into society much like caffeine and alcohol - in moderation. Weed still smells vile in my opinion, but it does seem to be less harmful than some legal drugs.

However, beyond that very carefully monitored line, I consider the 'harder' drugs to be as bad as each other (not in terms of statistics, but the general nature of them). I personally find people who require drugs to have a good time, or worse, are addicted, weak and pathetic like smokers - relying on an artificial fix, and throwing away money and health for the privilege.

Speaking objectively, I am aware that my experience of watching a close family member descend into drugs use and become irritable and weak, as well as stink out half of the house and start stealing money, does put emotional bias into my viewpoint. But I have always found dependance on substances of any kind to be an unattractive quality.

There is a line which is difficult to define, bound between safety and autonomy, pleasure and dependancy, which I think will one day be accepted by society as the safe level of use of certain drugs. But drug dealers in today's context? Immoral. We have a social responsibility. Knives are sold with the primary function of utility and a very low risk of self-harm, drugs are sold with the primary function of synthetic pleasure and a much relatively higher risk of self-harm through no intention of doing so.

ReputationRep:
    It causes massive misery in Latin America, the whole drug trade. And to the parents of teenagers who OD. Women are raped under the influence of drugs and young people can be exploited. The drug gangs in this country inevitably involve violence, yes maybe to one another but other people can get caught up-parts of London, estates are like war zones with drug gangs. Some run massive empires and are rich and brutal. I think the people who say it isn't immoral are in denial.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.