The Student Room Group

structure of a levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karzen
Thanks! Do you happen to know if there are any fees for A-levels? I am thinking of doing a distance learning course so that will be around £370 but do you have to pay for each exam itself? If so, then how much are the fees?

yes, there are fees. The exam board only charges £12-£20 for most units, but you have to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a 'private candidate' and they add their admin and invigilation charges on. These can be considerable, particularly were the Chemistry and Biology practical units are concerned as you have to undertake experiments at the exam centre. The prices vary massively, but anything under £250 to take Maths will probably be reasonable value and £500 each for Biology and Chemistry..

Original post by karzen
Also, can I take A-levels in Polish if I am Polish?

You can. AQA offers A level Polish. However, if you are hoping to use it as an A level for university entrance you will find that many universities will not accept a candidate's home language as an acceptable A level.
Reply 21
Original post by Compost
yes, there are fees. The exam board only charges £12-£20 for most units, but you have to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a 'private candidate' and they add their admin and invigilation charges on. These can be considerable, particularly were the Chemistry and Biology practical units are concerned as you have to undertake experiments at the exam centre. The prices vary massively, but anything under £250 to take Maths will probably be reasonable value and £500 each for Biology and Chemistry..

You can. AQA offers A level Polish. However, if you are hoping to use it as an A level for university entrance you will find that many universities will not accept a candidate's home language as an acceptable A level.

Thanks! Say I take a regular two-year long course, will I take As at the end of year one and then A2 at the end of year two, or As and A2 both at the end of year two?
Reply 22
Original post by LuiEmmitt
The New Qualifications will be Linear but the current ones are already linear... thats not the reason there changing.

So let's say I decide to take a regular, two year long course- will I take As exams at the end of year one and then A2 exams at the end of year 2, or both As and A2 at the end pf year two?
Original post by karzen
Thanks! Say I take a regular two-year long course, will I take As at the end of year one and then A2 at the end of year two, or As and A2 both at the end of year two?

For Maths nothing's changing immediately and you can take some units at the end of year 1 (as many as you want) and the rest (plus any re-sits you want to take of the ones you've already taken) at the end of Year 2.

For Biology and Chemistry you could take AS exams at the end of Year 1 but they will not count for your overall A level grade and it will just be added expense. At the end of Year 2 you will take A level exams which will cover all the content of both years. (The new specifications do not have practical exams but you do have to complete some designated practicals during the course. I don't know hw this is going to work for private candidates.)
Reply 24
Original post by Compost
For Maths nothing's changing immediately and you can take some units at the end of year 1 (as many as you want) and the rest (plus any re-sits you want to take of the ones you've already taken) at the end of Year 2.

For Biology and Chemistry you could take AS exams at the end of Year 1 but they will not count for your overall A level grade and it will just be added expense. At the end of Year 2 you will take A level exams which will cover all the content of both years. (The new specifications do not have practical exams but you do have to complete some designated practicals during the course. I don't know hw this is going to work for private candidates.)

So it means that for those new specifications in Bio and Chem I'll only sit one test for each, meaning there won't be one exam for each module? :frown:
Original post by karzen
So it means that for those new specifications in Bio and Chem I'll only sit one test for each, meaning there won't be one exam for each module? :frown:

I don't know the planned format of the new A level Biology and Chemistry exams, but I get the impression it is likely to go back to the old system where A levels were mostly assessd by 2, 3 hour exams at the end of 2 years (as there is no longer any need to chop exams up into shorter exams for each unit).
Reply 26
Original post by Compost
I don't know the planned format of the new A level Biology and Chemistry exams, but I get the impression it is likely to go back to the old system where A levels were mostly assessd by 2, 3 hour exams at the end of 2 years (as there is no longer any need to chop exams up into shorter exams for each unit).

That sucks :frown:. So could I still take each module exam(I believe modular A-levels is what it's called) if I enrolled onto an intensive course which lasts 1 year so I would take the exams in June 2016? Or will I already have to sit the new linear A-levels? I am talking about Bio and Chem.
Original post by karzen
That sucks :frown:. So could I still take each module exam(I believe modular A-levels is what it's called) if I enrolled onto an intensive course which lasts 1 year so I would take the exams in June 2016? Or will I already have to sit the new linear A-levels? I am talking about Bio and Chem.

If you complete A levels next year then the only otpion is the current system.
Reply 28
Original post by Compost
If you complete A levels next year then the only otpion is the current system.

Sorry for asking so many stupid questions, but by saying I'll be taking the exams in current system you mean I will have one exam for each module?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by karzen
Sorry for asking so many stupid questions, but by saying I'll be taking the exams in current system you mean I will have one exam for each module?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest