Turn on thread page Beta

Which mechanical pencil is the best mechanical pencil? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy182)
    I must admit, I have a Rotring Tikki. It's a pencil that has never let me down. It does its job well. It's a reasonable weight. It's a reasonable price. I just don't find it particularly inspiring in any individual areas. If it were a car, it would be a Ford Focus. But, in many ways, that's a very good thing indeed.
    Rotring is much better imho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiminaM)
    Rotring is much better imho
    I have often contemplated splashing out £50'ish on a Rotring 800+

Maybe even just the standard Rotring 800 as the only advantage of the + is the inbuilt stylus.

Which Rotring do you use?

ReputationRep:
    I have often contemplated splashing out £50'ish on a Rotring 800+

Maybe even just the standard Rotring 800 as the only advantage of the + is the inbuilt stylus.

Which Rotring do you use?
    The basic 2 pounds one lol. 1.0

ReputationRep:
    I like these ones: http://www.wilko.com/pens-and-pencil...l/invt/0261573

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiminaM)
    The basic 2 pounds one lol. 1.0
    Ha ha, is't that the Tikki?

ReputationRep:

I do pick some of those up whenever Amazon has them at a good price. They are good for bulk note taking due to the longer length of the lead. However, it's difficult to write/draw accurately and neatly with them due to the amount of spring in the lead holder.

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, is't that the Tikki?
    Yup, that one. I love that pencil

ReputationRep:
    I do pick some of those up whenever Amazon has them at a good price. They are good for bulk note taking due to the longer length of the lead. However, it's difficult to write/draw accurately and neatly with them due to the amount of spring in the lead holder.
    I only need to do sketches that don't have to be accurate, so they work well for me. They sell them at Wilko for around £1 when they do the back to school sales. I managed to get a full pack of pink ones for £1 from there, and it would have cost like £5 in Wh Smith!

I really like how the bottom of them twists though so you can get out exactly the right amount of lead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    I only need to do sketches that don't have to be accurate, so they work well for me. They sell them at Wilko for around £1 when they do the back to school sales. I managed to get a full pack of pink ones for £1 from there, and it would have cost like £5 in Wh Smith!

I really like how the bottom of them twists though so you can get out exactly the right amount of lead.
    Yeah. One of the other nice things about them is that you consider them as disposable right from the start. You don't ever need to worry about replacement leads and erasers. Something which I often do when using my Pentel Graphgear 1000.

ReputationRep:
    I like the Zebra mechanical pencils, I find them very comfortable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I like the Zebra mechanical pencils, I find them very comfortable

Wow. The Zebra ones are really cheap. I see that you can get a stainless steel one for less than £3.

Is there a particular model that you'd recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. The Zebra ones are really cheap. I see that you can get a stainless steel one for less than £3.

Is there a particular model that you'd recommend?
    Any is fine, though the expensive ones do feel a tad bit better.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I have just sat my Maths GCSE exam and another mechanical pencil now holds a special place in my heart.

I have seen really good on-line reviews for the Pentel P205. Now, it's worth pointing out that there are no outstanding features with this pencil. No rotating lead. A tiny eraser, no retractable lead sleeve. In fact, in terms of spec, the only thing that appears just a little bit more luxurious than basic is the strong metal clip.

The great reviews that I have read on-line mostly speak of the classic design, build quality and durability. I recently saw them on Amazon for £3.25, so I ordered a couple. I hadn't really used one properly until today. My God, this is a solid pencil. Zero flex in the lead sleeve and a very positive click on the lead advance.

It doesn't look expensive. But when you use it, you just want to keep on writing with it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.