Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know the reforms of stats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owainew)
    Im going to study stats
    Magistrates
    Judiciary
    Deg leg
    I did some looking around, the law mentor site is the best place to go for info. Does anyone know how you would answer this question:

Discuss the impact of European Community Law on the law of England and Wales.(14)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspirationhitme)
    I did some looking around, the law mentor site is the best place to go for info. Does anyone know how you would answer this question:

Discuss the impact of European Community Law on the law of England and Wales.(14)
    Thanks, but i have no idea. Today was my first day to revise la2

ReputationRep:
    Did you get much done today then?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get much done today then?
    I did stats today, im going to do my notes tonight and delegated leg tomorow!

ReputationRep:
    Just seen a pass paper for the first time. How do you answer "consider whether an offence has been committed" question?

ReputationRep:
    I think you are on LA3.

Just seen a pass paper for the first time. How do you answer "consider whether an offence has been committed" question?

ReputationRep:
    Judiciary came up last year, what's the ods that it will come up again this year?

ReputationRep:
    Judiciary came up last year, what's the ods that it will come up again this year?
    It’s really hard to tell with this paper - they put law reform in the last 3 papers so it’s not that unlikely for it to come up twice in a row. Personally, I would go over every topic just to be safe

ReputationRep:
    Nothings going in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky Barnes)
    It’s really hard to tell with this paper - they put law reform in the last 3 papers so it’s not that unlikely for it to come up twice in a row. Personally, I would go over every topic just to be safe
    I have got a feeling that judiciary will come up. Aswell as delegated legislation and law reform (probably the question on the law commission).

I am not sure whether to do stat. It's difficult to know if what you are doing is right or wrong. I would rather come out of the exam knowing that I got some marks.

ReputationRep:
    Nothings going in...
    Come on keep going.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be able to explain the effect of the 1898 ban set down in the case of London street tramways v London county council in the topic of Judicial Precedent? I’m having trouble understanding what it actually did Did it prevent the supreme court from overruling it’s own previous decisions?

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be able to explain the effect of the 1898 ban set down in the case of London street tramways v London county council in the topic of Judicial Precedent? I’m having trouble understanding what it actually did Did it prevent the supreme court from overruling it’s own previous decisions?
    London Street Tramways v London County Council was a case before the Practice Statement was issued. Basically, there were problems with the Supreme Court where they were bound by their own previous decisions, which consequently affected the flexibility of the Supreme Court. The Lord Chancellor, Lord Gardiner introduced the Practice Statement to make the Supreme Court more flexible. Basically, London Street Tramways v London County Council was the case in which the Supreme Court realized that there were situations where they shouldn't be bound by its own decisions.

I think Precedent will come up, if so I believe it will ask you the hierarchy. Also please note that the Court of Appeal (Civil Division) and the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) are two seperate things. Even though they can both use Young v Bristol Aeroplane, the Criminal Division has an extra power because someone's liberty is at stake. In the case of R v Taylor the Court of Appeal (Civil Division) need not follow its own previous decisions if it believes the decision has been 'misapplied or misinterpreted.'

Furthermore, I would also look at Lord Lowry's guidelines in the case of C v DPP. It is very useful for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    When was the last time a magistrate question came up?

ReputationRep:
    When was the last time a magistrate question came up?
    January 2012:
    1) Precedent
    2) Judiciary
    3) Delegated Leg
    4) HRA+ Stat

May 2012:
    1) EU law (direct applicability) with Stat
    2) Lay Magistrates
    3) Precedent
    4) Delegated Leg

January 2013:
    1) Eu Law
    2) Law Reform
    3) Intrinsic and External Aids + Stat
    4) Judiciary

May 2013:
    1) ECHR
    2) Law Reform
    3) Methods of Interpretation with Stat
    4) Judiciary

January 2014:
    1) Precedent
    2) EU Law
    3) Law Reform
    4) Presumptions+Aids+Stat

June 2014:
    1) Law Reform
    2) EU Law
    3) Intrinsic and Extrinsic Aids + Stat.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    January 2012:
    1) Precedent
    2) Judiciary
    3) Delegated Leg
    4) HRA+ Stat

May 2012:
    1) EU law (direct applicability) with Stat
    2) Lay Magistrates
    3) Precedent
    4) Delegated Leg

January 2013:
    1) Eu Law
    2) Law Reform
    3) Intrinsic and External Aids + Stat
    4) Judiciary

May 2013:
    1) ECHR
    2) Law Reform
    3) Methods of Interpretation with Stat
    4) Judiciary

January 2014:
    1) Precedent
    2) EU Law
    3) Law Reform
    4) Presumptions+Aids+Stat

June 2014:
    1) Law Reform
    2) EU Law
    3) Intrinsic and Extrinsic Aids + Stat.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the effort!!

ReputationRep:
    London Street Tramways v London County Council was a case before the Practice Statement was issued. Basically, there were problems with the Supreme Court where they were bound by their own previous decisions, which consequently affected the flexibility of the Supreme Court. The Lord Chancellor, Lord Gardiner introduced the Practice Statement to make the Supreme Court more flexible. Basically, London Street Tramways v London County Council was the case in which the Supreme Court realized that there were situations where they shouldn't be bound by its own decisions.

I think Precedent will come up, if so I believe it will ask you the hierarchy. Also please note that the Court of Appeal (Civil Division) and the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) are two seperate things. Even though they can both use Young v Bristol Aeroplane, the Criminal Division has an extra power because someone's liberty is at stake. In the case of R v Taylor the Court of Appeal (Civil Division) need not follow its own previous decisions if it believes the decision has been 'misapplied or misinterpreted.'

Furthermore, I would also look at Lord Lowry's guidelines in the case of C v DPP. It is very useful for the exam.
    Thank you so much, I’ve been trying to get my head around this for ages - my notes are so unclear hahah

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, I’ve been trying to get my head around this for ages - my notes are so unclear hahah
    No worries, it's a tricky thing to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone understand what the European Community Law is and what the hell direct applicability is? I am stuck on them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.