Turn on thread page Beta

Why is slavery depicted as White? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    ye because they moan the most lol.
    are you jel that people care about their needs? I don't get the racism between minorities...

what would you like them to do? wallow in poverty and destitution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 90sBabyy)
    are you jel that people care about their needs? I don't get the racism between minorities...

what would you like them to do? wallow in poverty and destitution?
    The oppression Olympics are annoying. It's annoying when people say "I'm more important than you"

ReputationRep:
    The oppression Olympics are annoying. It's annoying when people say "I'm more important than you"
    where exactly are you getting this from again?

ReputationRep:
    where exactly are you getting this from again?
    lol
    Really? "moan?" And actually no. All ethnic and minority groups "moan" it's just the black "moans" are the most obligatory to concede to...for obvious reasons.
    Pretty standard attitude. Different person same attitude.

ReputationRep:
    I mean the Atlantic slave trade was horrific in terms the sheer number of people enslaved and its despicable nature, so its important for people to be aware of it.

But slavery as a whole being portrayed as white is ludicrous as its something that not only did modern Europeans and Americans not take part in, but most of their ancestors wouldn't have either. Also most civilisations around the world have had forms of slavery at some point or another.

One interesting thing that was never pointed out in education until University for me, was that most (I think) African slaves in the Atlantic slave trade were actually kidnapped by other Africans. Therefore the Europeans didn't have to go searching in unknown lands and risk catching deadly diseases, and then the African kidnappers would make large profits by selling the slaves to the Europeans.

History is mostly a grey area, and it is not helpful and can even be harmful to portray it as black and white (no pun intended).

ReputationRep:
    lol
    Pretty standard attitude. Different person same attitude.
    why are you laughing?

And stop evading the question. Where are you getting "I'm more important than you from?" Just where?

ReputationRep:
    The biggest and well documented slavery event was the American Slave trade. That's why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why are you laughing?

And stop evading the question. Where are you getting "I'm more important than you from?" Just where?
    I just answered. the bolded part lol.

black "moans" are the most obligatory to concede to...for obvious reasons.

You just stated blacks are more important than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I just answered. the bolded part lol.

black "moans" are the most obligatory to concede to...for obvious reasons.

You just stated blacks are more important than everyone else.
    not my fault you have reading deficiencies, because that hardly translates to "blacks are more important." You said blacks moan, but the bold is clearly saying it seems that way because they get the most attention when they suffer. And yes. For obv reasons.

ReputationRep:
    not my fault you have reading deficiencies, because that hardly translates to "blacks are more important." You said blacks moan, but the bold is clearly saying it seems that way because they get the most attention when they suffer. And yes. For obv reasons.
    Not my fault you have communication difficulties.

It clearly does not say that. You stated that they are the most obligated to recieve attention.

Which reinforces what I said about the entitlement, I deserve better treatment than everyone else attitude. You wouldn't be saying one group is more obligated to attention than other if you though everyone should be treated equally.

But what are these obvious reasons that put blacks before others? lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no no no!

This is absolutely not allowed!

Only white people are allowed be to racist slave owners! Such a logical, well informed attitude will NOT be tolerated by the left wing white knight police on TSR!

I'd start running, before they execute you and all of your family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesG987)
    I mean the Atlantic slave trade was horrific in terms the sheer number of people enslaved and its despicable nature, so its important for people to be aware of it.

But slavery as a whole being portrayed as white is ludicrous as its something that not only did modern Europeans and Americans not take part in, but most of their ancestors wouldn't have either. Also most civilisations around the world have had forms of slavery at some point or another.

One interesting thing that was never pointed out in education until University for me, was that most (I think) African slaves in the Atlantic slave trade were actually kidnapped by other Africans. Therefore the Europeans didn't have to go searching in unknown lands and risk catching deadly diseases, and then the African kidnappers would make large profits by selling the slaves to the Europeans.

History is mostly a grey area, and it is not helpful and can even be harmful to portray it as black and white (no pun intended).
    The reason for the emphasis on the atlantic slave trade in comparison to others are due to several reasons.
    Most recent.
    History is eurocentric in the west.
    While Black people did sell their own into slaverly it was white people who provided a market for it
    The atlanic slave trade is also quite different from others. It was based on the premise of white superiority. It degraded and destroyed the history of a race. The institution of white superiority was so deep that it can still be seen today. Furthermore the hypocrisy of white slave owners at the time attempting to justify slavery as 'civilisation'. Other instances of slavery were usuallt based on an economic need or prisoners of war. This doesnt make it right but this is what makes the atlantic slave trade so significant.

ReputationRep:
    What people need to understand is that there are different types of slavery. Today the most common are probably sex slavery (human trafficking) and child slavery (sweat shops.)

Back in the day there was also indentured labourers - and although their conditions were deplorable those were poor people who CHOSE to work, got paid (albeit poorly), and once their contracts ran out were able to go home.

There was also bonded and debt servitude. As the terms imply, for criminals and those in debt who could eventually work their way out.

The trans Atlantic slave trade was Chattel slavery. You need to understand. Black people were looked at as nothing more than commodities. Not people at all. They were property to be owned and used however. Everything about chattel slaver was indisputably grotesque, and inhumane. The point being to dehumanize and degrade the enslaved.

Imagine- you were taken fron your home in the dark of night, shoved into the bottom of a ship covered in the **** and piss of those around you, so cramped you cant move, chained from head to toe, fed a pile of mush once every few days if you were lucky, dehydrated, the only time you saw the sun was if the people who took you had to throw some of your old neighbors overboard. Why? They over packed the ship with too many of you and cant feed you all. There's less than half of you left that started. If they werent thrown into the see they were starved or got cholera. This is just the journey there. The servitude hasn't started yet.

No, slavery is not just a "white" person thing. However, the trans Atlantic slave trade should NEVER, EVER be understated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePaul22220)
    O - Please.

Whites feel no guilt about the past and how they benefit from it.

Whites ENJOY ( secretly ) the doings of the past BECAUSE of the power it gives them.

White man’s burden is a myth.

The white man feels no burden to anyone but himself.

Most whites would be more than happy if we were back in chains. Most would never admit it. But deep down they know it’s true. The only reason why some whites put on airs is purely political. It LOOKS bad to be racist. It carries a bad feeling and tone. Never mind that it IS bad but the LOOK is more important than the actual thing.
    Well you're mostly right about the first part, until the myth part. It's not a myth, it's a reality. Pressure groups and governments consistently attempt to create a collective guilt for white people to make this race feel responsible for the doings of the past, regardless of whether their family were even remotely related to the slave trade or not.

Personally? Like your first part. I couldn't give a **** about it, I just ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePaul22220)
    Every problem in Africa has it roots in white peoples miss-deeds.

Your argument also overlooks how some parts of Africa got to be so poor and the roots of the reasons why some are coming to Europe. You turn a blind eye to the effect of the Atlantic slave trade on Africa and the effect of white rule, both direct (colonial empires) and indirect (banana republics).

Second, you assume that blacks are richerin Europe because Whites have been kinder to than Africans would be. Wrong: blacks are richer in Europe because America is richer.

The pie is so big in Europe that even when it is divided unjustly, as it is, it still leaves most people with more pie than any ordinary person certain parts of Africa.

You name the problem, the disease, the human suffering, or the abject misery visited upon millions, and I'll bet you a tenner I can put a white face on it faster than you can name the members of The Beatles..
    Well, sucks to be in Africa. Glad I'm born in the UK and don't have to suffer it. #Perksofbeingwhite

If the plight of Africa is really so meaningful to you, and the unfair unjust white folk are that bad, please feel free to buy yourself a one way ticket to Africa. Preferably Sierra Leone, could do with your help over there.

ReputationRep:
    Not my fault you have communication difficulties.

It clearly does not say that. You stated that they are the most obligated to recieve attention.

Which reinforces what I said about the entitlement, I deserve better treatment than everyone else attitude. You wouldn't be saying one group is more obligated to attention than other if you though everyone should be treated equally.

But what are these obvious reasons that put blacks before others? lol.
    Ugh. Crack open a book or flick on the news, sweetie. And what part of "obligation" do you not understand? That's ok. Keep your racist mentality; you'll hit a brick wall soon enough.

This is interesting. Since you're so focused on making white people look bad rofl. Kings in Africa willingly sold their slaves to the Atlantic slave trade as well :fyi:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/slavery/...modern_1.shtml
    Oh yes. Let's justify slavery. Since you say every culture has had racism, which I'm not disagreeing with, then I guarantee you most of those people enslaved each other.

People call the Japanese evil for their invasions all over Asia like in China and the Philippines but I'm sure no one would call them evil if they enslaved their own people as before European imperialism of Africa and indigenous America exploited slavery into this cruel barbaric practice, slavery was a pretty standard thing.

Apparently there has been slavery since the dawn of civilisation aka the establishment of the hierarchic pyramid between royalty, nobility and serfdom. There is a difference between building economy and bombarding someone else's land for hundreds of years and torturing their people. Of course African Kings participated in the franchise as Idk any royal family that isn't corrupt to keep their throne confined to themselves.

However, what form of slavery besides African slavery punishes everyone with the like skin tone to a constant racist indoctrination and stigma that is clearly unbeatable?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Crack open a book or flick on the news, sweetie. And what part of "obligation" do you not understand? That's ok. Keep your racist mentality; you'll hit a brick wall soon enough.

Oh yes. Let's justify slavery. Since you say every culture has had racism, which I'm not disagreeing with, then I guarantee you most of those people enslaved each other.

People call the Japanese evil for their invasions all over Asia like in China and the Philippines but I'm sure no one would call them evil if they enslaved their own people as before European imperialism of Africa and indigenous America exploited slavery into this cruel barbaric practice, slavery was a pretty standard thing.

Apparently there has been slavery since the dawn of civilisation aka the establishment of the hierarchic pyramid between royalty, nobility and serfdom. There is a difference between building economy and bombarding someone else's land for hundreds of years and torturing their people. Of course African Kings participated in the franchise as Idk any royal family that isn't corrupt to keep their throne confined to themselves.

However, what form of slavery besides African slavery punishes everyone with the like skin tone to a constant racist indoctrination and stigma that is clearly unbeatable?
    So you're basically saying slavery is fine if it's not whites doing it? lewl.

No one is justifying slavery apart from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    We live in the West and, generally, the history curriculum in every country teaches the history relevant to its own society.

Thus, it's perfectly justifiable that the enslavement of blacks supported by Britain and the United States is taught and other slave trades are less emphasised. I'd say it's even more important to teach slavery in the United States, though, seeing as it was one of the two original sins of the United States - the other being the genocide of the Native Americans - as it entails that the United States was founded upon slavery and genocide.
    If you learn about slavery in History in the UK (I don't actually remember doing it, but I fled the country just before GCSEs) then you should learn about slavery and its effects everywhere, not just the UK. It was a global market. Also, it should be noted that Slavs and the Irish were the more common slaves in the area. They lived closer and the journey was less likely to kill them. Hell, the word comes from "slav". To ignore the history of slavery for propagandistic purposes is really taking the biscuit when it comes to History education.

The part of slavery Britain is most involved in,and should be most known for, is the abolition of slavery. Also, I'm sorry to burst your bubble on United States founding: it was not based on genocide at all. Those Red Indians found there died off for one very good reason- they were at war with each other. There wasn't just one tribe versus the British and French and Spanish. They were weak, and we made them work for us. It's just bad planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soldieroffortune)
    Its associated with Whites because us europeans were the first ones to turn it into a massive market shipping thousands around the world to the Americas and so on. The African and Arab Kingdoms that did it didn't do it to any degree as to the European slavers plus its more modern history.
    That is nonsense. The Arabs shipped almost as many slaves into Asia and across the Indian Ocean as were shipped over the Atlantic (and those slaves were originally enslaved mainly by Africans and Arabs), and for hundreds of years longer. Large scale slavery in the Moslem world is still going on - there are about 25 million slaves in the world right now, most of them in Moslem countries.

ReputationRep:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.