Turn on thread page Beta

6000+ people dying in the ocean whilst noone gives a hoot watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha Lamb Meme)
    Saw this in CEMB twitter...

Its sad how no country is trying to be supportive..

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to see that America have tried to tell the Burmese government to change their ways but ultimately it's their problem. I don't blame the other poor countries for not taking them in but I think it would be nice if a country was willing to take them in.

ReputationRep:
    And thousands of people starve to death in Africa every day. Why are you not posting about how we should be feeding all of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    What do you expect us to do about it? As brutal as it is to say and as heartless as it sounds, I don't think it's Britain's problem.
    Yeah you're right it's none of Britain's business but neither was Iraq or Afghanistan but those guys just killed hundreds of thousands over there.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Feline_Nymphet)
    Who told them to get on a ship and demand entry into a foreign country?
    Last time people were stuck on a ship in sail to a new country with no idea what awaited them, it was slavery

It's just totally unrealistic and insensible to journey to a new place without any confirmation that they are awaiting you, and it's infeasible to take care of them.
    precisely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    It's nice to see that America have tried to tell the Burmese government to change their ways but ultimately it's their problem. I don't blame the other poor countries for not taking them in but I think it would be nice if a country was willing to take them in.
    "nice." This is politics and economics. Nice is nonexistent, unfortunately. I don't think anyone here wants these people to die or suffer but there is just no solution without their country's cooperation. ****ers :grumble:

(Original post by al_94)
    Yeah you're right it's none of Britain's business but neither was Iraq or Afghanistan but those guys just killed hundreds of thousands over there.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feline_Nymphet)
    "nice." This is politics and economics. Nice is nonexistent, unfortunately. I don't think anyone here wants these people to die or suffer but there is just no solution without their country's cooperation. ****ers :grumble:
    Not really, the UK is a very large donor in foreign aid.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get this 'it's not my business/problem' stance people seem to have.

Reminds me of this poem from GCSE:

They picked Akanni up one morning
    Beat him soft like clay
    And stuffed him down the belly
    Of a waiting jeep.
    What business of mine is it
    So long they don't take the yam
    From my savouring mouth?

They came one night
    Booted the whole house awake
    And dragged Danladi out,
    Then off to a lengthy absence.
    From my savouring mouth?

Chinwe went to work one day
    Only to find her job was gone:
    No query, no warning, no probe -
    Just one neat sack for a stainless record.
    From my savouring mouth?

And then one evening
    As I sat down to eat my yam
    A knock on the door froze my hungry hand.
    The jeep was waiting on my bewildered lawn
    Waiting, waiting in its usual silence.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a shame people are dying, but I don't actively care. And I certainly don't want them to be brought here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I thought this comparison might come up (though the situations are a little different). By that reckoning, we can't win. If we intervene in the problems of another country, people will die, whether through war, or through poverty caused by economic sanctions. If we don't intervene we are accused of looking the other way.

If you could instruct the UK government on the refugee issue, what would you tell them to do? That is a genuine question, not rhetorical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha Lamb Meme)
    Saw this in CEMB twitter...

All the countries do not want to take them in, (yes that includes Australia ) almost unanimously has a lot to do with the behavior of these rohingya themselves. Many people might be unable to believe that even muslim brothers won't help them. The Rohingya are well known for rioting, violence and committing crimes in whichever country that adopted them. They had raped and beheaded people in Myanmar thats why they are getting kicked out. Adopting them will pose a security threat to the host country. SEA countries have no problem accepting vietnamese refugees (during the vietnam war) and palestinian refugee, but Rohingya? they'll want a second thought.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...sands-stranded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32770390

Apparently, ISIS militants take 50% of the cut from the traffickers they're co-operating with.

The longer this continues, the more funding they'll get. And by the looks of it, the flow of migrants won't be stopping anytime soon.
    All the more reason to discourage it, by proving it doesn't work.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnomeMage)
    Bengali mobs in burma? Boy, such a failed video to justify the killing of the Rohingya. I mean they could've atleast put the bengali mobs in bangladesh. Video gets simple things wrong lol.

I don't know whether you're seriously trying to justify the killings of rohingya because you hate Muslims or whether you're just innocently ignorant of the facts.

ReputationRep:
    Tragic. No idea what to do about the situation, but on a side note, Britain really needs to stop handing out any aid to ****hole racist countries like Burma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    Bengali mobs in burma? Boy, such a failed video to justify the killing of the Rohingya. I mean they could've atleast put the bengali mobs in bangladesh. Video gets simple things wrong lol.

I don't know whether you're seriously trying to justify the killings of rohingya because you hate Muslims or whether you're just innocently ignorant of the facts.
    Unrelated but the Burmese call the Rohingya "Bengali", in fact the failure of other people to do so is one of their reasons to try and dodge a conference about it, so it is indeed about them and not about actual Bengali people in the way we know it.

As for the validity of the video, I don't know how you can say either way.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less, exams tomorrow. I'll focus on them instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)

Rohingya people originated from bengali. And speaks a dialect very similar to bengali. And bengali refugees are found among rohingya refugees and live with them.

Since myanmar refuse to recognise rohingya as myanmar people, calling them bengali makes the most sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    Unrelated but the Burmese call the Rohingya "Bengali", in fact the failure of other people to do so is one of their reasons to try and dodge a conference about it, so it is indeed about them and not about actual Bengali people in the way we know it.

As for the validity of the video, I don't know how you can say either way.
    I won't argue this point because I don't personally how the rakhine people personally refer to them.

After following the issue for years, I heavily doubt it's validity. And yh I do hold the buddhists to blame.

Anyone without any conformation bias would acknowledge the massacres. Heck even some media outlets and human rights organisations comment upon the issue every few years at points which they can't ignore.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.