Turn on thread page Beta

Were you taught how to draw at school? watch

ReputationRep:
    No, I was never taught. But I don't think I would be any better if I was taught tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Yes, just curiosity. Art seems to be a subject that is not taught. I picked on Drawing because it is such a foundational skill and I would like to be better at it. And there are actually a lot of techniques and exercises out there, but you do have to go digging for them.Compare: Music is taught. I wonder if Creative Writing is taught? I suppose that could be a subject where pupils are just left to get on with it as well.Edit: look at this tool and think what you could learn with such a simple thing: isn't that fantastic?
    creative writing was never taught for me either lol. The last time I did creative writing while in school was in year 6

(Original post by llys)
    J
    I can give you advice if you want I'm pretty good at drawing.

Here's a drawing some record company in Istanbul bought off me
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velleity)
    That's what they do for GCSE art
    Makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Just curious how many people are taught drawing and painting as a skill in schools. I wasn't, but my experience could well be unusual. At least our art teacher could draw from life, so I think perhaps he just considered drawing ability a natural talent, something that could not be taught in a systematic way.

Here are two interesting articles / websites:
    Don't go to art school if you want to learn to paint
    Compare and contrast:
    About the New Masters curriculum (a course of systematic instruction in drawing and painting)
    What do you mean by taught how to draw? Do you mean had to waste loads of time attempting to draw(in which case yes) or do you mean I know how to draw(in which case no)?
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    Don't take art gcse so who knows what they do.....
    I spent the whole time making 3d models of plants. We were just told to do what we wanted and I couldn't draw so had to think of something else to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I wonder if Creative Writing is taught? I suppose that could be a subject where pupils are just left to get on with it as well.
    No, creative writing isn't taught either. It's very annoying because to study maths at a university in the UK you need to master creative writing.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    They couldnt teach me if they tried,got D s in art the whole time at school,sometimes E s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    creative writing was never taught for me either lol. The last time I did creative writing while in school was in year 6

Spoiler:
    Show
    You are awesome.

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll do a course; I need systematic help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    You are awesome.

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll do a course; I need systematic help.
    Courses in drawing are a massive waste of money imo. They don't teach you anything you can't find online and they usually all say the same thing. "Practice"

Life drawing classes are helpful though. But again you can do them for free by sitting in a bar or cafe drawing people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    What do you mean by taught how to draw? Do you mean had to waste loads of time attempting to draw(in which case yes) or do you mean I know how to draw(in which case no)?
    An example of a systematic course of instruction in drawing would be starting with simple line drawing, grid drawing (to help you see angles and proportions), progressing to free-hand line drawing (once you've learned to see) and life-drawing, gradually developing your sense of observation (of edges, cross-contour, sizes, angles, proportions, perspective, shading, patterns, texture etc.) from simple to complex. The idea is that if you can see, you can learn to draw well.

Of course, in a systematic course of instruction, if a pupil can't do something right away, you must hold him to high standards and insist on mastering the simple skills before he moves on to something more complex - because complex skills build on simple skills. So in a way this is much harder for both the teacher and the pupil because it demands more from the pupil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)

I spent the whole time making 3d models of plants. We were just told to do what we wanted and I couldn't draw so had to think of something else to do.
    I can just about draw a daisy. Roses look like messed up galaxy things. And not even that cool.
    Our year did plants as their topic... I escaped didn't I.

Basically, I can't draw. Clay was fun (pottery - though we never made pots so what a terrible name...) though.

And I think they meant 'taught to draw' as in drawing techniques like shading, hatching, face structure and stuff...? Though for the life of me, I could never 'learn' to do that.

ReputationRep:
    My sister would draw for me because I was rubbish and had no natural talent..

I never liked art anyway and saw it as a pointless subject.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not well. I can draw a fantastic penis, though.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Not well. I can draw a fantastic penis, though.
    Think most guys can draw that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Art was for me a case of if you're good at it the teacher is interested but if you're not then they probably don't remember your name. Much like pe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    That's pretty cool. Gonna steal that idea in the future if you don't mind
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Our teacher only taught us how to colour neatly i.e. colouring in one direction rather than in different directions
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by llys)
    (.-.)so I think perhaps he just considered drawing ability a natural talent, something that could not be taught in a systematic way.(...)
    Yeah, he had right! art is in the eye of the beholder, that is why it can't be teached systematically.

I have learnt to draw pictures by myself at home. And without hesitate I would say that I am good at it.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. In primary school we had "art lessons" which were of no regular schedule (I felt, even at age 10, that this was just a way to fill an unplanned rainy afternoon) and consisted of draw/paint something related to whatever topic we are studying elsewhere. The only good one was when we were studying WW2 and made a skyscape to represent the blitz.

In secondary we had an hour a week of art, but I don't think we were taught how to do stuff in a lot of cases. I remember being taught about the colour wheel and mixing colours, and that in a lot of lessons we would look at a series of artists' work and pick one to 'do a transcription'. We were taught about 3D perspective drawing, and then in gcse year a little bit of how to get proportions right on faces...but that's about all I can remember actually having instruction on...

ReputationRep:

I think it's an important part of the education system's strategy to churn out drones and little workers.
    Yup.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Green22)
    (...)
    I never liked art anyway and saw it as a pointless subject.
    I see art as a pointless subject insofar, as it is useless to teach people in art who have no talents and passion for it. But in contrast to you I like it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.