Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Annika_x)

I would say this would be a good 9/10, the content is good, and every point you have made has been backed up with evidence and a fairly detailed analysis. You have used linking words to join the piece of writing up, and given different ideas and perspectives on what quotes could mean. To improve and get full marks I would say zoom in on key words and see what they mean in relation to the whole novel, things such as foreshadowing. For example: 'She stood still in the doorway, smiling a little at them' This shows she is being flirty and provocative, leading them on even though she is married. Try to find a word that sums her up, and link it to the novel as a whole, I think it impresses examiners. Hope this was helpful.
    Thank you so much! That was really helpful

What would you guys say for these questions:
    2006 - To what extent canyou blame Curley’s wife for the tragic events in the novel?
    2008 - ‘Of Mice and Men’presents a world of harshness and violence’ To what extent do you agree withthis?
    2010 - A CRITIC SAID ABOUTOf Mice and Men: ‘the characters are powerless’ Do you agree? Give reasons tosupport your opinions

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=shrl0;55890423]What would you guys say for these questions:
    2006 - To what extent canyou blame Curley’s wife for the tragic events in the novel?

2006 - Blaming Curley's Wife:
    I would lay it out in paragraphs depending on the amount of marks, if it was a 10 mark question I would give 7 points, each with as much evidence you can cram in! So Curley's wife COULD be blamed because:
    - She had seen what Lennie was like, she saw that he 'bust up Curley's hand', and so she therefore knew what he was capable of, yet she still insisted on getting him to touch her hair. 'Go on feel it'
    - She also could be blamed because ultimately, it was her death and her actions which lead to the hopes and dreams of George, Lennie and herself to be destroyed. All three end up lonely or dead.
    She COULDN'T be blamed because:
    - She was just as lonely as many of the ranch workers, and all she wanted was 'someone to talk to', she clearly got on with Lennie, and so she talked to him.
    - At the end of the day, no matter how much she insisted, it was ultimately Lennie who killed her, and to an extent she can't be blamed for that.

Hope this helped, would you like me to help with the other two?

[QUOTE=Annika_x;55891293]
    (Original post by shrl0)
    What would you guys say for these questions:
    (Original post by shrl0)

2006 - Blaming Curley's Wife:
    I would lay it out in paragraphs depending on the amount of marks, if it was a 10 mark question I would give 7 points, each with as much evidence you can cram in! So Curley's wife COULD be blamed because:
    - She had seen what Lennie was like, she saw that he 'bust up Curley's hand', and so she therefore knew what he was capable of, yet she still insisted on getting him to touch her hair. 'Go on feel it'
    - She also could be blamed because ultimately, it was her death and her actions which lead to the hopes and dreams of George, Lennie and herself to be destroyed. All three end up lonely or dead.
    She COULDN'T be blamed because:
    - She was just as lonely as many of the ranch workers, and all she wanted was 'someone to talk to', she clearly got on with Lennie, and so she talked to him.
    - At the end of the day, no matter how much she insisted, it was ultimately Lennie who killed her, and to an extent she can't be blamed for that.

Hope this helped, would you like me to help with the other two?
    Thank you and yes please The questions are worth 20 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momoney)
    candy is likely, i have this book with all the past papers since the exam started and the only character that hasn't been mentioned is candy. BUT loneliness has been mentioned. racism and women hasn't...
    Candy was mentioned back in 2004 and in 2009 they was an 'imagine you are candy..' question.

I'm just hoping we get a simple 'How is .. important to the novel' question :3

ReputationRep:
    I can kind of see George coming up. There's been questions on his and Lennie's relationship but nothing on just him. Curley's wife is another possibility too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrl0)
    Slim could come up for extract but he's come up in whole text

· Imagine you are Slim. At the end of the novelyou think back over what has happened since George and Lennie arrived at theranch. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Slim would speakwhen you write your answer.
    How would you go about answering this type of question?

ReputationRep:
    [I][QUOTE=shrl0;55891409]
    (Original post by Annika_x)

Thank you and yes please The questions are worth 20 marks

Ok, I'll do the 2010 one now and the other one later - A CRITIC SAID ABOUT Of Mice and Men: ‘the characters are powerless’ Do you agree? Give reasons to support your opinions

Ok so for 20 marks, you want a good 15-16 points each again crammed with evidence.

It could be argued that the characters are all very powerful and that their individual actions have immediate consequences on the other characters. For example:
    - (You would want to go in chronological order, but for this I am just going to state my points) Curley's wife telling Crooks 'Listen here, ******. You know what I can do to you if you don't shut your trap?' Which causes him to become powerless again, and sink back down to being 'helpless' Showing that she has power over him.
    - George telling Lennie if he gets in trouble he should 'Hide in the brush' Influences his actions, George has power over Lennie.
    - 'Slim's opinions were law' Suggesting that Slim has a clear power over all the ranch workers.
    - The Boss taking his anger out on Crooks, ie He has power over Crooks.

Could also be argued that the characters are POWERLESS and they change nothing.
    - Here you would talk about fate, ie, was it fate that Lennie was going to die? The ominous foreshadowing of earlier in the novel where he killed the mouse, or where Candy's dog was shot, all suggest that Lennie was going to get into trouble. You would have to read the book and find quotes to remember, but there are many examples of where Lennie does something or something happens which foreshadows the death of Lennie, take what happened in Weed?
    - Was Curley's wife's death fateful? She was lonely and unhappy with her life, would she have changed what happened had she been able to see it coming?
    - Everyone is under the power of everyone else, each character ultimately cannot change the bigger picture, or what is happening in society, they are all perfect examples of the sexism and racism happening in society at the time (1930's)

I will do the last one later. If this was helpful please could you leave a positive rating or rep? Hope it helped! So scared about tomorrow....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runningcat)
    How would you go about answering this type of question?
    We were talking about this question in class last week, and seeing as this would be a multiple choice one, I would definitely recommend choosing the other question. This is a horrible question because there is a no easy way of adding all the techniques to get a good mark. How are you supposed to add quotes and good analysis to a 'thoughts and feelings' entry? If I really had to, I would probably pick on a key point of Slim and relate it to something that happened. For example, Since George and Lennie arrived at the ranch, there has been a lot more activity and dramatic events. Here you could use examples such as Lennie killing the puppy or Lennie fighting Curley. And then I would pick another and repeat, so maybe their friendship? I don't know, I mean its a hard one, Don't forget slims character is respected and he's smart, seen as the best. 'Slim's opinions were law'
    Its a horrible question but I hope this helped a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camilledanielsen)
    Great thankyou. Heard its heavily marked on content this year.
    It definitely is, I had a talk from an expert of this paper and she said that it is really important now.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth would you write in a 20 mark question about slim?! His character was so underdeveloped; he was called the prince of the ranch and, apart from a few inert, lacklustred quotes about his respected status, nothing really happened apart from the assumption of an affair with curleys wife (and ultimately not being afraid of Curley which is representative of his power) and him being present at some of the key events.

I got two marks off full marks for my Lit coursework and I absolutely love English but some of the questions on the papers are so innately awkward that it frustrates me.

What does everyone reckon will come up as the twenty marker? I'm hoping it's Curley's wife because I remember all of her quotes but she was the basis of my coursework so I doubt it :/ so ridiculous that it is a closed book exam.

ReputationRep:
    Also, do you suppose context will come up? I hope it does, historical and social contexts in relation to the novels overall message are so much easier to remember than whole loads of character quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp31)
    I thought the Imagine you are Slim question already came up... January 2012
    Yeah, it has already come up, but in class we were talking about the awkwardness of the style, because you can't show off with analysis, however it could just a easily come up again for a different character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsyaboy_tj)
    So far, there has been George and Lennie, Crooks, Curley, Slim and Lennie by himself
    For themes, there has been: Dreams, Strength, Victims, Animals, Fear and suspicion, and Friendship.
    My guess is the only main characters not to appear are Curley's Wife, Candy and George by himself
    Themes along the line of Loneliness or Discrimination/Role of Women.

Reply with your predictions!
    It might be Curley's Wife , Candy or Slim Or on loneliness or Nature/Setting And if they are mean it's only ever come up once but a question like Imagine you are _______ Think back over the novel

ReputationRep:
    If one of the 'imagine you are' questions show up and the other question is equally as awkward I will be so angry. What kind of bloody question is that?!

ReputationRep:
    People saying that content is important, how do you tackle that and what exactly does it mean?

ReputationRep:
    Are you guys doing the exam tomorrow ? Anyone give me some help with Curley and slim please ? Curley wife came up last time I'm banking on crooks because I know the character inside out ! But just incase ...?
    good luck if there is anyone !

ReputationRep:
    I hope animals come up; there's so much to write about.

ReputationRep:
    It's really unlikely an empathy question ("imagine you are...") will come up due to the fact context has to be included. It would be very difficult to incorporate context when writing as the character at the time, in fact it's basically impossible because when writing as Slim/Candy/whoever you're not going to suddenly say "and this suggests that in 1930s America, women were..." So yeah, I wouldn't worry about empathy questions at all, I think WJEC is done with them.

I'm really hoping loneliness is the theme question because it's really easy to link to context (the lives of itinerant workers, discrimination at the time) and that the character/other question will be something to do with Curley's wife and the treatment of women or Crooks and racism. Although I suppose Candy wouldn't be too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp31)
    I hoped it would be loneliness, but it has already come up twice But maybe it could still come? Could it be possible for there to be a question like "How it this novel relevant for the modern reader?"
    It's unlikely because the context is geared towards American society in the 1930s and not how it's relevant today, but if it does I'll probably just choose the other question haha.
    And also, where has loneliness come up because I haven't seen it anywhere?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.