Turn on thread page Beta

How to you avoid muscle imbalances when weightlifting, is this an ok session? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfrost)
    I will look on youtube for the proper technique. See I won't have a spotter/anyone with me I will be on my own.
    These are some good deadlift form videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJZu0o-fSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aln2NGzS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFpHWEi6UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRZ7DyPPzUM
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You haven't said why it's a disaster, what muscles I'm missing etc I'm just trying to include the opposites ie abbs back, bicep/tricep, squats, hamstrings. So I should forget about the front arm raises and exercises that don't really work compound/large areas of muscle then. Though Some of those exercises are the main ones I need for my running and sports events ( squats, inclined bench press, pull ups and hamstring curls) so they are not a disaster for that but that's all I've been focusing on I just want to make sure I don't cause any muscle imbalances and was looking for a proper weightlifting routine. Maybe I should ask a physio about the anterior pelvic tilt too. I'm struggling with my diet too I'm eating very low carb meals and feel hungry all the time I lost weight last time but for some reason this time seems harder.
    Because you've got too much isolation before or mixed in randomly with compounds. You've got no set progressions, it isn't a proper routine.

Why are you eating such low carb? Dieting needn't suck so bad

Ok yea just been reading about the strong lifts routine the actual routine seems simple enough I like the look of it I will just need to practice the deadlift and overhead press after making sure I have the right technique. As I said I have no spotter will just be in the weights room on my own so are most people ok doing these exercises on their own or is a spotter essential? Also, because I do a lot of sport/running throughout the week do you think twice a week will be enough for some muscle again, as opposed to 3 times a week as the programme recommends? I could do the weight routine twice a week and spend the extra day on strengthening abbs as I know I need to strengthen abbs in particular.
    No spotter is fine, learn to fail.

Twice a week is sort of absolute bottom, you can run stronglifts off twice a week, progress is just going to be slower. That said as you are female, training only twice a week on whatever programme is going to be much harder for you to make progress as you lack the androgens of men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenCampbell)
    If you are training twice a week I wouldn't do stronglifts. Because of the A/B style you will only be hitting bench, ohp, rows and deadlifts once a week. I would do something like this on monday & thursday, or any two days that are spaced apart enough...
    Squats - 4x6
    Bench - 4x6
    Deadlifts - 2x6
    OHP - 4x6
    Chinups - 4x6

You don't really need a spotter. It can be helpful for the bench press to get a lift off but you can use a power rack for safety. You definitely don't need a spotter for deadlifts, if you fail the weight falls to the floor, not like bench press where it falls on your neck.

Heavy squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and chinups will be enough for your abs. Especially if you do them belt-less. Do some planks at home if you really want to do some ab work, you certainly don't need an entire day in the gym for your abs.
    Ok thanks for that I'l just focus on those 5 exercises twice a week then. Planks ive never been good at them which means i probably should do them so yea, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Because you've got too much isolation before or mixed in randomly with compounds. You've got no set progressions, it isn't a proper routine.

Why are you eating such low carb? Dieting needn't suck so bad

No spotter is fine, learn to fail.

Twice a week is sort of absolute bottom, you can run stronglifts off twice a week, progress is just going to be slower. That said as you are female, training only twice a week on whatever programme is going to be much harder for you to make progress as you lack the androgens of men.
    Ok hm I'l take this into account, what if i lifted twice a week but did just upperbody weight exercises the third day. I will still build a little muscle on twice a week though right.. See Ive always been fairly muscly to start off with (under my thickish layer of fat lol) and gaining strength has always come quite easy to me like i progressed from 6 to 14 pullups in weeks im not an ectomorph build like some girls/guys so probably have more of a tendancy to put muscle on.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.