Turn on thread page Beta

Can I go into Investment Banking Without A-Level Maths. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasmine_6780)
    having Eco is not a core requirement compared to Maths, not sure about Hist.
    I think you don't understand what i'm saying, the person said he has only one core subject there which is history, which is wrong as he also has economics.

ReputationRep:
    I know an English grad who is an investment banker. And a music grad. Granted they both went to Cambridge and had maths a level, but...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The misinformation on here just makes me lol really hard sometimes.

OP, choose 3/4 traditional subjects you enjoy (A-level Maths is recommended to show numerical competence), get good grades, apply to some targets/semi-targets and do stuff that you actually care about in your spare time.

No one gives a **** about what A-level subjects you did nor do they care about your degree choice - within reason, Golf Management isn't going to help you for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasmine_6780)
    Hi,
    I suggest you do A-Level maths because firstly, the best routes into IB are through a degree in Maths, Eco or an Engineering degree. To do all of these degree's you HAVE TO have done Maths A Level otherwise securing a place on these degree's will be hard. Yes, even for Eco Maths is required. Also, your taking Eco & Business Studies? They both are very similar A-Levels and I don't think uni's would prefer this. Yes Eco is more respected than BS but it really depends on you as a person. Eco is very hard compared to Business Studies. I chose Eco thinking it would have a lot of Maths, but it did not really. I did not enjoy the subject as well. Think carefully between Bus and Eco, do a LOT of research. Don't choose Eco because it is respected etc. If you enjoy the subject you are likely to do well.
    Also I've noticed Uni's get irritated when students choose subjects based around the subject too much which you have done. They like at least 1 subject that is unique. Try switching either His or G&P for something else like Socio or English Lit (this can help you with your essay skills in Hist & Eco) ?
    I hope this helps!
    Advice taken, thanks so much !!

ReputationRep:
    Haha switch history for sociology?? That's terrible advice!!

If you take sociology you will be laughed out of an investment bank...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    Only one core subject? So you saying economics is not one of them. Lmfao some people make me laugh on here
    If you think Economics is a core subject that lmfao... I do it myself and it's more respected than business but it's really not a facilitating subject. It's people like you that make me laugh. OP, make sure you take another facilitating subject along with History because Economics isn't one of them, but it is still respected. A science would be perfect if you don't want to do Math

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer. Yes you do need maths. If you want to be a successful investment banker at a good firm then one of the main pieces of criteria is a strong maths background. That means yes you do need A level maths. I suggest you go back to school and take the course, get onto fastrack so it only takes a year to complete and focus all your time on getting a high grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    If you think Economics is a core subject that lmfao... I do it myself and it's more respected than business but it's really not a facilitating subject. It's people like you that make me laugh. OP, make sure you take another facilitating subject along with History because Economics isn't one of them, but it is still respected. A science would be perfect if you don't want to do Math
    Are you a clown? Of course economics is more respected than business don't state the obvious i think we know. OP Economics is a good subject, the main aim is to get good grades in them, there's no point doing the toughest subject and not succeeding as well as you could have done. It's not all about doing 3 sciences and maths.
    OP take a look at this website as well as this person who think's economics is not a core subject and thinks he knows it all.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations

PSST it was a rhetorical question at the start(just in-case)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    Are you a clown? Of course economics is more respected than business don't state the obvious i think we know. OP Economics is a good subject, the main aim is to get good grades in them, there's no point doing the toughest subject and not succeeding as well as you could have done. It's not all about doing 3 sciences and maths.
    OP take a look at this website as well as this person who think's economics is not a core subject and thinks he knows it all.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations

PSST it was a rhetorical question at the start(just in-case)
    You say it's all about doing well and not taking the hardest subjects which is true but for investment banking it just so happens these core subjects are the ones that give the skills investment banks are looking for. Its all good with your do the easy subjects and get good grades mentality but this gets you no where when investment banks give you the entrance test and your math is rusty, for example.

ReputationRep:
    You say it's all about doing well and not taking the hardest subjects which is true but for investment banking it just so happens these core subjects are the ones that give the skills investment banks are looking for. Its all good with your do the easy subjects and get good grades mentality but this gets you no where when investment banks give you the entrance test and your math is rusty, for example.
    My point is Economics is not an easy/non-core subject, when indeed is is. Even look at the ink i showed you. Unless you classify any other subject as easy outside the a1 list, your opinion i guess nothing i can do about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    My point is Economics is not an easy/non-core subject, when indeed is is. Even look at the ink i showed you. Unless you classify any other subject as easy outside the a1 list, your opinion i guess nothing i can do about that.
    1) Easy is debatable, I do it myself so just because you find it hard doesn't mean I do, so maybe for your ability it is hard, but not for many people. It's easier than all my other subjects for sure and I know this is the case for many people.

2) As for non-core, what I mean is it's not a facilitating subject. You clearly don't know what these are so I'll tell you: English Lit, History, Geography, Maths, Languages and the three sciences. This is a confirmed published list from various University website. I'm not saying they're the only good ones, but they're certainly the most respected ones and I know you need 2 of them to stand a chance in investment banking.

Op, Make sure you do at least two of these or you really will struggle to get a job in this incredibly tough industry. I'm sure you have the ability to do well. Economics is a good subject but just make sure you have two of these facilitating ones too alongside it

ReputationRep:
    1) Easy is debatable, I do it myself so just because you find it hard doesn't mean I do, so maybe for your ability it is hard, but not for many people. It's easier than all my other
    for sure and I know this is the case for many people.

2) As for non-core, what I mean is it's not a facilitating subject. You clearly don't know what these are so I'll tell you: English Lit, History, Geography, Maths, Languages and the three sciences. This is a confirmed published list from various University website. I'm not saying they're the only good ones, but they're certainly the most respected ones and I know you need 2 of them to stand a chance in investment banking.

Op, Make sure you do at least two of these or you really will struggle to get a job in this incredibly tough industry. I'm sure you have the ability to do well. Economics is a good subject but just make sure you have two of these facilitating ones too
    Economics > Geography and English lit if you want to go into IB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Economics > Geography and English lit if you want to go into IB
    That's such a vague assumption. Do you work or know anyone that works in an investment bank? My dad does so I think i'm just a bit more knowledge than you as to what you need and don't need to go into investment banking. Anyway lets just forget A levels for a while, it's what OP mainly gets in his degree that will be most important!

ReputationRep:
    That's such a vague assumption. Do you work or know anyone that works in an investment bank? My dad does so I think i'm just a bit more knowledge than you as to what you need and don't need to go into investment banking. Anyway lets just forget A levels for a while, it's what OP mainly gets in his degree that will be most important!
    Yes I work in Investments and I can tell you that the majority of people have pretty much entirely numerate subjects at A level with the odd essay maybe, but they all pretty much have numerate degrees...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Yes I work in Investments and I can tell you that the majority of people have pretty much entirely numerate subjects at A level with the odd essay maybe, but they all pretty much have numerate degrees...
    Agreed, that's what I get told to haha. I personally want to study Accounting and Finance at Uni as I know for a fact my Math is not good enough to be an Investment banker because I've seen some of the work my Dad does.

ReputationRep:
    1) Easy is debatable, I do it myself so just because you find it hard doesn't mean I do, so maybe for your ability it is hard, but not for many people. It's easier than all my other subjects for sure and I know this is the case for many people.

Op, Make sure you do at least two of these or you really will struggle to get a job in this incredibly tough industry. I'm sure you have the ability to do well. Economics is a good subject but just make sure you have two of these facilitating ones too alongside it
    The simple point im trying to make is economics is a good subject, so op do not hesitate to take it. I don't understand why you are typing up mini essay's lmfao. I gave you a link to Cambridge's subject list, and if you still wanna be ignorant then let it be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    The simple point im trying to make is economics is a good subject, so op do not hesitate to take it. I don't understand why you are typing up mini essay's lmfao. I gave you a link to Cambridge's subject list, and if you still wanna be ignorant then let it be.
    Mini essay? No wander you think Economics is a good subject if you think that's a mini essay lmfao. You're really blunt. I never said it wasn't, hence why I did it. I simply said it is not a facilitating subject, do you understand this? This is why I said to OP take it alongside 2 facilitating subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Mini essay? No wander you think Economics is a good subject if you think that's a mini essay lmfao. You're really blunt. I never said it wasn't, hence why I did it. I simply said it is not a facilitating subject, do you understand this?
    Pfft, your telling me do i understand whats going on? Looking at your spelling mistake looks like your the blunt one, and essays can vary in length. I simply said Economics is a good strong subject that Op should take. I don't know what your trying to say Alex with this non-core etc etc etc. Give it a break lad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    Pfft, your telling me do i understand whats going on? Looking at your spelling mistake looks like your the blunt one, and essays can vary in length. I simply said Economics is a good strong subject that Op should take. I don't know what your trying to say Alex with this non-core etc etc etc. Give it a break lad?
    I'm typing on a mobile, kindly accept the spelling mistakes. This is very simple, Economics is a strong subject that OP should take along with two other facilitating subjects. Perfect combination there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm typing on a mobile, kindly accept the spelling mistakes. This is very simple, Economics is a strong subject that OP should take along with two other facilitating subjects. Perfect combination there.
    agreed.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.