Turn on thread page Beta

I wish my parents were wealthy... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro14)
    Being wealthy and coming from a wealthy area can be so beneficial in life. Its no wonder white people who do average at gcse, A level and uni still manage to get jobs as lawyers and bankers in the city while an ethnic individual with amazing qualifications does not get nothing.
    Yes it can. But being wealthy and coming from a wealthy area doesn't necessarily mean you will obtain good grades. Not is a wealthy area exclusive only to certain ethnicities.

If you rely on your family's wealth to gain footing in life, is it really your life at all? My family is able to support us comfortably, and while we are above the national average income, that has in no way caused me to have a better access to education than people with lower incomes.

Affluence comes from a good job which is earned by working hard. The odd few skirt around, but going into life wishing you were rich so you had contacts to appoint you jobs is no way to live life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by redwhiteandbrit)
    Yes it can. But being wealthy and coming from a wealthy area doesn't necessarily mean you will obtain good grades. Not is a wealthy area exclusive only to certain ethnicities.

If you rely on your family's wealth to gain footing in life, is it really your life at all? My family is able to support us comfortably, and while we are above the national average income, that has in no way caused me to have a better access to education than people with lower incomes.

Affluence comes from a good job which is earned by working hard. The odd few skirt around, but going into life wishing you were rich so you had contacts to appoint you jobs is no way to live life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By whose standard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Like the title says. But not so that they could pay for my fancy gadgets or any other temporary material possession but more so that I could have a good start in life with things like properties etc like so many of my friends have :/

Anyone else relate?
    No, stand up on your own two feet and earn a living..

ReputationRep:
    By whose standard?
    What are you referring to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are not wealthy . Get over it . You want to be rich ? Then work hard and not waste your time on TSR moaning

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean, which is why I'm going to do a job I don't even enjoy when I'm older all for money and when I'm at school I don't eat breakfast and lunch so I can spend the money on designer clothes instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rulezz)
    Get a life ..tujhay pathan hi mile Gha
    Get a different website. No comprehendé what you saying G.

ReputationRep:
    I agree OP. I wouldn't be interested in the fancy gadgets either, just the security.

ReputationRep:
    What an ungrateful comment.

Your parents struggled through life, just put food on the table for you to eat and to have a place to sleep.

Now, you wish that your parents were wealthy so you can have a good start in life and fit in with your "friends"?

If you don't learn and appreciate the struggle, then you won't be able to grow a backbone to look after yourself in any situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Quaggie)
    What an ungrateful comment.

Your parents struggled through life, just put food on the table for you to eat and to have a place to sleep.

Now, you wish that your parents were wealthy so you can have a good start in life and fit in with your "friends"?

If you don't learn and appreciate the struggle, then you won't be able to grow a backbone to look after yourself in any situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They didn't struggle though...

ReputationRep:
    They didn't struggle though...
    They must have struggled at some point to get to where they are today.

They weren't spoon fed into success.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    My grandparents have stopped building projects near their house because they didn't want it.
    How did they manage that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    How did they manage that?
    They had "friends" at the council planning department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    They had "friends" at the council planning department.
    I very much double having "friends" would be able to stop a development. The developers would have taken the council to court if it was blocked for no legal reason.

ReputationRep:
    Like the title says. But not so that they could pay for my fancy gadgets or any other temporary material possession but more so that I could have a good start in life with things like properties etc like so many of my friends have :/

Anyone else relate?
    My parents have always been so busy with their respective careers that material possessions are the only things that I've ever got. I rarely get to see either of them.

Even though I just try to pass my time by having as much fun as possible, I sometimes feel like something's missing. I mean, there's only so much that money can buy you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    Don't compare yourself to other people, be grateful for what you do have.

Having fancy gadgets and owning a property cannot bring true happiness and satisfaction.

There are probably people on here and irl who wish to have what you have.
    Why bother goign to university, we should all just be grateful with a street sweeper job. See how your logic is retarded? It's natural for humans to want to aim high.

Anyway I still don't agree with OP because he is trying to use his parents to improve his life. He can always get rich himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plutonian)
    Why bother goign to university, we should all just be grateful with a street sweeper job. See how your logic is retarded? It's natural for humans to want to aim high.

Anyway I still don't agree with OP because he is trying to use his parents to improve his life. He can always get rich himself.
    Completely disagree, people go to uni to better their lives but little do they know, uni does not guarantee employment and satisfaction, in fact most graduates are finding themselves in non graduate jobs anyway.

What I was saying is completely different to your scenario and should not even be compared to that because that(as stated above) is a different issue.

Its natural for us to aim high but in order for us to be successful we must be grateful for the littlest of things and invest in them.

Edit: I highly doubt rich people would throw a penny in the dust bin because every penny counts.

ReputationRep:
    I your friends parents buy thier kids houses then they are probably in the minority stop being self pitying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plutonian)

Going*

Jeez! Learn how to spell before you argue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quaggie)
    Going*

Jeez! Learn how to spell before you argue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He thinks he won the argument because he pointed out a typo.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2017
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.