Turn on thread page Beta

Calling someone fat isn't bullying... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gijops)
    I agree... if someone lights up a cigarette next to you, you have the right to say "are you trying to kill yourself mate?" so we should do the same thing to fat kids who be munching their stupid chocolates in my lectures /endrant
    No you do not. That's tremendously obnoxious.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
    Calling a fat person fat isn't bullying. I don't understand why this is classed as being not sociably acceptable and taken so seriously. If a person is fat surely I am just stateing facts? At what point did we become to scared to say the truth and have to tip toe around the truth.
    This. When someone tells a person to be a fat one, so it is not offensive or bullying. But when someone is making offensive jokes about a fat person, so it can be regarded as bullying indeed. But this is a completely different thing.

ReputationRep:
    Saying someone is fat is not bullying. Putting down someone for being fat is bullying. Pointing out that someone is fat in a condescending and judgmental manner is bullying. Implying that being fat means you're not beautiful is bullying.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BookBird)
    Saying someone is fat is not bullying. Putting down someone for being fat is bullying. Pointing out that someone is fat in a condescending and judgmental manner is bullying. Implying that being fat means you're not beautiful is bullying.
    Agree with you without any contradictions. But among us, I have hardly seen fat people who I regard as beautiful for myself. But being beautiful or not is still a matter of opinion, am I right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Agree with you without any contradictions. But among us, I have hardly seen fat people who I regard as beautiful for myself. But being beautiful or not is still a matter of opinion, am I right?
    Yes. Beauty is relative. You may not be attracted to fat people but that doesn't mean that they are not beautiful. A size 14 is just as beautiful as a size 6.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Beauty is relative. You may not be attracted to fat people but that doesn't mean that they are not beautiful. A size 14 is just as beautiful as a size 6.
    No they aren't. There are objective standards of beauty, things that not only appeal to us aesthetically but also hint that the person is an ideal one with which to create offspring. Beauty is not relative and a size 14 is not as beautiful as a size 6.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that whether or not it is bullying would depend on the intent and the delivery, not the objective fact itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    No they aren't. There are objective standards of beauty, things that not only appeal to us aesthetically but also hint that the person is an ideal one with which to create offspring. Beauty is not relative and a size 14 is not as beautiful as a size 6.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
    I disagree, thinner does not always equate to more beautiful. Weight is only one factor we use when judging a person's appearance, and it is not the determining factor. There are no objective standards of beauty because that would imply that the entire world agrees on at least one standard of beauty, which is untrue. What appeals to you aesthetically is based on your ideals and the society you grew up in; in some cultures being fat equates to being wealthy and prosperous, and so being fat is seen as being beautiful because of the association with wealth.

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I would add is that, in my opinion, bullying takes place over an extended period of time.

Calling some fat once is not bullying, calling them fat every day for a month, that'd be bullying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosferatuzodd)
    Please develop your emotional intelligence "Wannabe Doctor".
    keyword: wannabe

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't think there is anything 'wrong' with calling someone fat but where is the need? What do you gain from it? Would you just randomly call someone ugly? If someone is fat then calling them so shouldn't be considered offensive - call a spade a spade - but I can't imagine a situation where it would ever really be necessary for you to call someone fat. What do you have to gain from it really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Only thing I would add is that, in my opinion, bullying takes place over an extended period of time.

Calling some fat once is not bullying, calling them fat every day for a month, that'd be bullying.
    Sure, however with the scenarios I mentioned in my first post, I would still consider them as bullying, even if they only happened a few times. Simply because of the emotional damage the person in question would suffer.

ReputationRep:
    So:
    - what is the juvenile obsession with obesity on TSR all about
    - I imagine everyone is, or at least should be, quite clear what represents bullying
    - no one is forcing anyone to find anything attractive that they don't. Just mind your own bloody business and don't be so ****ing judgemental
    - one might hope that the high IQ membership of this forum would appreciate that being over weight, like many other matters, is a complex issue.
    Just my thoughts..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Unlike smoking or drinking, many fat people aren't fat because of a choice they've made necessarily. For instance someone might be depressed or have a joint condition to take two common examples. I put on 50lbs from a medication in a month so saying every fat person is a "glutton" is pretty shortsighted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Except many fat people are fat because of choice. If someone is depressed, thyroid conditions, joint conditions etc they can still watch what they eat. Yes it contributes the weight gain however not obesity. If you ate right with those conditions you would not become obese.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A size 14 isn't fat it's average (proving the person is of average height)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's fat though? Most people use the term to put people down and insult someone who isn't slim or have a models body

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    So:
    - what is the juvenile obsession with obesity on TSR all about
    - I imagine everyone is, or at least should be, quite clear what represents bullying
    - no one is forcing anyone to find anything attractive that they don't. Just mind your own bloody business and don't be so ****ing judgemental
    - one might hope that the high IQ membership of this forum would appreciate that being over weight, like many other matters, is a complex issue.
    Just my thoughts..
    I would 'mind my own business' and someone else's health is my business especially if has knock on affects on my family and personal health. Obesity costs the NHS billions and is partly why isn't being pushed into more and more debt. If the reason I can't reach the NHS When I want to have children, if I'm
    In accident or when I'm old is because obesity (and other self inflicted illnesses) ran it into the ground I think it is might right to be able to judge overweight people. And yes being overweight is a complex issue but there are a very slim number of reasons that are valid (a lot of people make excuses).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    What's fat though? Most people use the term to put people down and insult someone who isn't slim or have a models body
    I'm talking BMI of around 30+ (obese) because BMI isn't very accurate and I know personally that I'm not unhealthy and yet my BMI is 23 ish (near overweight). I'm talking fat as in when weight severely/long term impacts the health of someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Except many fat people are fat because of choice. If someone is depressed, thyroid conditions, joint conditions etc they can still watch what they eat. Yes it contributes the weight gain however not obesity. If you ate right with those conditions you would not become obese.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And people who smoke or drink too much should give up, people that are academically weak should study harder and do better, people that are depressed should focus on the positive and cheer up. So easy. Considering a career in health care or counselling? You'd be a natural..

ReputationRep:
    I would 'mind my own business' and someone else's health is my business especially if has knock on affects on my family and personal health. Obesity costs the NHS billions and is partly why isn't being pushed into more and more debt. If the reason I can't reach the NHS When I want to have children, if I'm
    In accident or when I'm old is because obesity (and other self inflicted illnesses) ran it into the ground I think it is might right to be able to judge overweight people. And yes being overweight is a complex issue but there are a very slim number of reasons that are valid (a lot of people make excuses).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok but the thing is if you saw a thin person eating a massive donut or something would you care about their health because it's not a healthy thing to eat even though they are thin, or do you only care when it's fat people? Because a lot of people who just hate fat people use this whole 'oh I care about your health!!!' thing as a smokescreen when actually it's just the yuck factor of seeing a fat person. Thin people can be unhealthy too, a thin person with a terrible diet wouldn't be any more healthy than an obese person who ate a very healthy diet but overate on healthy foods (which would still cause weight gain).

I agree with you that people make excuses, I would love to see statistics on how many people are overweight through a genuine medical condition and how many are just overweight through poor diet/overeating/lack of exercise.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.