Turn on thread page Beta

I am turning 17 tomorrow. Tell me something you wish you'd known at that age. watch

ReputationRep:
    Get a job. NOW, a driving licence would also come in handy. One bad grade doesn't necessarily determine your future unless you let it and when applying to university do what you WANT not necessarily what you do the best in or what other people expect you to. Someone told me to go into a book-store and find where you naturally gravitate to and that's a starting point of where you should be thinking(there's no point in saying what I wold apply for here because that's me). If you do something you don't enjoy you're just going to make yourself miserable. You are capable of more than you think but don't let yourself become complacent. As for exams try not to stress in the exam hall- seriously don't, Find a way to deal with it (I would list coping mechanisms but they won't apply to you)
    Get some relevant work experience/volunteer and begin extra reading done before you apply to uni. Also its never o late to call up an old friend. You have absolutely nothing to lose. Keep your head up high and have a firm handshake.
    bit more general than I would actually say but eh, im not actually speaking to myself.

ReputationRep:
    Sixth form friends aren't your real friends, so focus on your studies. Don't take this part of your life for granted.

ReputationRep:
    1. Don't procrastinate.
    2. People are almost always willing to help young people - never be afraid to ask for obscure things regarding work experience etc (all they can say is no).

ReputationRep:
    It's downfill from 17 on. I wish I knew that before I turned 17.

ReputationRep:
    The main one is really that it's not worth worrying about things. I also wish I knew how fast life goes and to appreciate my youth a bit more. I think when you're a teenager you're so concerned with the future that you forget about the present.

So yeah, basically to enjoy being young and with few responsibilities and to try to enjoy your education because working is worse than school/college/uni.

ReputationRep:
    That going to uni straight out of high school is not the only option, or necessarily the best option.

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer in outdoor work in your free time. Would have given me something else to do in the long summers that would be coming up

ReputationRep:
    That it doesn't matter what people think, who cares if certain people don't like you... After you leave school you will probably never see them again. Just focus on yourself and being a good friend to the people who actually matter.

Also. Those boys you obsess over, you'll get over it. Sooner than you think.

Don't stress about the future too much, despite what it seems hardly any 17 year olds ACTUALLY know what they want to do when they are older. Make sensible choices but don't beat yourself up over the fact you don't have a plan yet.

(Original post by BookBird)
    That going to uni straight out of high school is not the only option, or necessarily the best option.
    True. I definitely want to go to university, but I still have no idea what I want to do degree wise, so I guess I need to take time out before applying. It doesn't help that I have no idea what to do career wise either.

ReputationRep:
    You'll never feel like a "proper grown up". Even adults who appear to have everything together are quite often freaking out, deep down. So don't worry when everyone else seems to have everything in place, and you don't. It'll be reet

ReputationRep:
    I am not the only one

ReputationRep:
    I wish I knew that it was okay if everything in my life didn't go according to plan. And to stop pressuring myself to achieve things ; according to the timetable I created in my head .

ReputationRep:
    It's the most boring year of your life. Too old to do kid stuff, too young for adult stuff.

ReputationRep:
    get a part time job and go to every social thing you're invited to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satanicwarmaster)
    True. I definitely want to go to university, but I still have no idea what I want to do degree wise, so I guess I need to take time out before applying. It doesn't help that I have no idea what to do career wise either.
    I would recommend taking time out, because there are a wealth of opportunities available that you can pursue during a gap year, and you learn a lot about yourself and what you enjoy during that time. On the other hand, you can do that in uni as well by not specifying a major (although this depends on the uni, most UK universities don't let you do that) until the end of 1st year, or by picking a major you're somewhat interested in and seeing how it goes, perhaps a joint degree. However, I would recommend the year off, but only if you know you have the funds to pay for whatever you choose to do, and if you're ready to do a lot of research.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry so much!

(Original post by BookBird)
    I would recommend taking time out, because there are a wealth of opportunities available that you can pursue during a gap year, and you learn a lot about yourself and what you enjoy during that time. On the other hand, you can do that in uni as well by not specifying a major (although this depends on the uni, most UK universities don't let you do that) until the end of 1st year, or by picking a major you're somewhat interested in and seeing how it goes, perhaps a joint degree. However, I would recommend the year off, but only if you know you have the funds to pay for whatever you choose to do, and if you're ready to do a lot of research.
    Thanks a ton! This was very helpful.

I'm entering Year 13 and I don't feel ready to apply to university this year. Do/can I take a gap year after completing my A-levels? I've completed my AS levels and now have A2 levels to contend with. Additionally, I'm considering resitting an AS module or two alongside my A2 exams. I couldn't decide on a degree or even think about university while I was in the middle of AS levels, so I doubt I'd be able to in the middle of A2 levels.

ReputationRep:
    Develop yourself asap

(Original post by The_Blade)
    Develop yourself asap
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Some friends may move out of your life and may not speak to you (these were my 6th form friends), but it doesn't mean it happens to everyone. Do what you believe in and stand up for yourself when you need to. Life may not go the way you want it to, but remember to make the most of it and enjoy the challenges of life. You may not feel 17, haha I'm not sure if many of us do feel our age (well I don't at times) . I wish you the very best. Happy birthday for tomorrow!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.