The Student Room Group

Is medicine no longer an option?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Thanks, just trying to decide between Exeter and Keele tbh, I like that Exeter score the predicted grades then rank ukcat scores (can't remember where I read this, hopefully it's true) but then again Keele doesn't consider applicants with ukcat in the lowest 20% of the ukcat scores so I was thinking Keele's cut-off might be slightly lower…maybe it would be more of an advantage to apply to Exeter because of my high ish predicted grades. Was thinking of applying to Barts, Imperial and UCL for my other choices :smile: Where are you thinking of applying to??

If you're predicted A*A*A*AAB (excluding general studies and critical thinking) then most definitely apply to Exeter. Last year A*A*A predictions got you an interview.

apply to keele as well - your ukcat will not be in the bottom 20%. Bottom 20% is around 2320 forlast year.

Definitely apply to Barts - with an exceptionally high UCAS tariff like yours based on A*A*A*AAB predictions you will get an interview no doubt

If you wanted to apply to imperial and UCI just bear in mind you'll have to do a bmat
Original post by Brownclown
If you're predicted A*A*A*AAB (excluding general studies and critical thinking) then most definitely apply to Exeter. Last year A*A*A predictions got you an interview.

apply to keele as well - your ukcat will not be in the bottom 20%. Bottom 20% is around 2320 forlast year.

Definitely apply to Barts - with an exceptionally high UCAS tariff like yours based on A*A*A*AAB predictions you will get an interview no doubt

If you wanted to apply to imperial and UCI just bear in mind you'll have to do a bmat

Thanks so much for your advice!! Yep I thought about it and I decided to go for Keele instead of UCL :smile:
Thanks, just trying to decide between Exeter and Keele tbh, I like that Exeter score the predicted grades then rank ukcat scores (can't remember where I read this, hopefully it's true) but then again Keele doesn't consider applicants with ukcat in the lowest 20% of the ukcat scores so I was thinking Keele's cut-off might be slightly lower…maybe it would be more of an advantage to apply to Exeter because of my high ish predicted grades. Was thinking of applying to Barts, Imperial and UCL for my other choices :smile: Where are you thinking of applying to??

I applied last year so I'm off to Imperial to study Medicine in October :smile: it's very exciting!

I think Exeter and Keele would both be great options for you, and the others are all great universities - obviously I'm going to love Imperial because I'm going there so I'm a tad biased. You do need the BMAT for UCL and Imperial, personally I found the BMAT hard but OK but it's definitely harder than the UKCAT. Your predicted grades are fine for both UCL and Imperial though.
Original post by LeFailFish
I applied last year so I'm off to Imperial to study Medicine in October :smile: it's very exciting!

I think Exeter and Keele would both be great options for you, and the others are all great universities - obviously I'm going to love Imperial because I'm going there so I'm a tad biased. You do need the BMAT for UCL and Imperial, personally I found the BMAT hard but OK but it's definitely harder than the UKCAT. Your predicted grades are fine for both UCL and Imperial though.

Wow congrats!!! I have always wanted to go to Imperial for years so I'm biased towards it too!:biggrin: How did you prepare for the BMAT??
Wow congrats!!! I have always wanted to go to Imperial for years so I'm biased towards it too!:biggrin: How did you prepare for the BMAT??

I had a book called 400 BMAT Practice Questions - similar to the 600 Practice Questions one for the UKCAT. The BMATs designed to be difficult to revise for, but I did find that that helped me familiarise myself with the sort of questions I'd be facing. I also got out my GCSE science revision guides (Which conveniently I still had because my youngest brother is sitting his GCSEs this year so I kept them for him) and looked at the GCSE topics not covered at A level. That's useful if you dropped physics and maths too - I hadn't but those are asked about in the BMAT so it's worth revising them if you haven't done them for a while. Finally, I read one of the Oxford very short introduction books - the one about Medical Ethics - to prepare for the essay section.

I know other people prepared differently, and you know how you revise best, but that worked for me :smile:
Original post by LeFailFish
I had a book called 400 BMAT Practice Questions - similar to the 600 Practice Questions one for the UKCAT. The BMATs designed to be difficult to revise for, but I did find that that helped me familiarise myself with the sort of questions I'd be facing. I also got out my GCSE science revision guides (Which conveniently I still had because my youngest brother is sitting his GCSEs this year so I kept them for him) and looked at the GCSE topics not covered at A level. That's useful if you dropped physics and maths too - I hadn't but those are asked about in the BMAT so it's worth revising them if you haven't done them for a while. Finally, I read one of the Oxford very short introduction books - the one about Medical Ethics - to prepare for the essay section.

I know other people prepared differently, and you know how you revise best, but that worked for me :smile:

Thanks! Yep I did physics, maths and further maths this year, do you remember any topics not in your A level syllabus but in the bmat?? Thank you so much for the advice and good luck at Imperial!!
Thanks! Yep I did physics, maths and further maths this year, do you remember any topics not in your A level syllabus but in the bmat?? Thank you so much for the advice and good luck at Imperial!!

I was on AQA for biology, chemistry and physics A level and Edexcel for maths, so my syllabus may be different to yours.

Biology: I hadn't done genes since GCSE as they don't come up until unit 5 which I didn't start studying until January of A2 year. I also hand't done hormones for the same reason. I hadn't studied the kidneys since GCSE and did not at A level at all. My A level syllabus did not include the structure of the large intestine but some syllabuses do and that can come up. I also hadn't yet done muscles as they were in unit 5. The structure of the eye I covered at GCSE but not in any detail at A level beyond 'rods and cones exist' - it was the same with the structure of the ear.

Physics: Focal length hadn't come up since GCSE and didn't until Physics unit 5, surprisingly started in January :tongue:. Also specific heat capacity and heat transfer were unit 5 things. I hadn't done radiation since GCSE as it was in unit 5. (I have to be honest though, at least half of physics was mechanics so lovely and easy and mathematical).

Chemistry: Colloids. I didn't do these at GCSE or A level but they came up in practice questions. I also didn't do entropy until unit 5 (sensing a pattern here?) and hence needed to revise/ learn that.

Maths: If you're still studying it you'll be fine, nothing too complicated is asked - the challenge with the maths questions is the time limit!

To be honest, the best way to figure out what you don't know is to look at practice questions and research any that you get wrong.

Theres an official bmat spec list on the bmat website so tailor your revision to cover each spec point - your a level syllabus probably won't cover each point so don't get caught out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending