Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim parents not letting me marry a white girl watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I've never understood this whole converting for marriage malarkey.
    You can't just choose to push aside the wordview you've built up over a lifetime and take on a whole new set of beliefs and values all of a sudden. It's totally superficial and surely anyone with half a brain would be able to see that?
    This 100%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Elaborate?
    Converting for marriage, in terms of faith is a sham. You're not converting because you like the belief, you're converting because you like the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVth)
    It amazes me as to how someone can forego their personal beliefs and adopt those of their partner, and 'genuinely' believing them just like *clicks* that. It just doesn't make sense to me
    Ah, I didn't realise you were agreeing I'd like to ask what's going through the heads of these parents who decide on their child's future based on something so meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    "i like you and I know that you believe the world is really a cube and it was created by the fairies that live in the undergrowth. However ridiculous that idea is, because I know you won't marry me unless I say I believe that, I am willing to say it's true."

Simple. I think all married couples pretend to enjoy or believe something that they don't in order to keep the other person happy. Is religion such a differing concept? If I wanted to spend the rest of my life with someone because of multiple other reasons, I would be more than willing to tell a white lie about something that they believe is firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiator123)
    Im 22
    What's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    They aren't marrying her, you are. It is nothing to do with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    You can't just choose to push aside the wordview you've built up over a lifetime and take on a whole new set of beliefs and values all of a sudden. It's totally superficial and surely anyone with half a brain would be able to see that?
    Tbh I cant talk on behalf of them because I am not one of them. But I do know of couples who have done this and live successful lives married together with kids accepting the same religion.
    I guess the converter loves their partner enough to see the beauty in another persons belief system, because after all that belief system created them.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god, seriously. Man the **** up, you are not a kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I agree man, just accept for who she is. By converting her and changing her lifestyle which she probably won't be happy with sounds like a good way to get a divorce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dictator)
    Quite Islam.

Quit****

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this a topic someone discusses with their parents before actually dating, or getting serious in a relationship? Thus completely eliminating the chance of this issue occurring in the first place?

If you both are Muslim, and want to be together in hope to better each other in deen, then I don't see a problem....
    Didn't you talk to your parents before you got engaged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophicoco)
    Tbh I cant talk on behalf of them because I am not one of them. But I do know of couples who have done this and live successful lives married together with kids accepting the same religion.
    I guess the converter loves their partner enough to see the beauty in another persons belief system, because after all that belief system created them.
    Seeing beauty in an idea does not so simply equate to believing in said idea. Surely they could accept moral teachings due to their appeal or beauty, but where does accepting the Islamic God and Muhammad as his prophet come into that? Ofc those things are essential to being a Muslim.

I'd be pessimistic and vouch that anyone who converts for marriage is not a true believer. Sorry :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    S
    (Original post by humzzay)
    Well it underatanding for your parents to oppose because shes non Muslim and with islam your only allowed to marry a muslim women your parents only want good for you so just think about it ... also are you a practicing muslim?
    Are u a practicing muslim hummzy? I don't want to sound patronising but i don't think you have studied Islam very well. I am a practising muslim lady and have studied Islam quite a bit. In Al-Bukhari it states that a muslim woman is not allowed to marry a non-muslim under any circumstances. A man though is permitted to marry a non-muslim. He must treat her with the same respect and love that has been ordered for a muslim wife. Our prophet (pbuh) never forced anyone to convert to islam. Hence we are not allowed to force anyone to change their beliefs. Contrary to popular belief a man can marry someone from another religion. I sympathise with the parents but 99% parents do go along with thir childs wishes. I know you have been engaged for 4 yrs mayb giv it another yr and try to make your parents understand that its better for you to marry her then commit a big sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    Won't a marriage potentially fail if couple do not share the same religious beliefs?

If your parents love you, then surly they will be willing to listen to you.
    Religion will only be important in a relationship if both people are extremely into their religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Seeing beauty in an idea does not so simply equate to believing in said idea. Surely they could accept moral teachings due to their appeal or beauty, but where does accepting the Islamic God and Muhammad as his prophet come into that? Ofc those things are essential to being a Muslim.

I'd be pessimistic and vouch that anyone who converts for marriage is not a true believer. Sorry :dontknow:
    Thats fine you can believe whatcha want. Islam allows convertees in order to spread the religion and clearly it worked as you can see the percentage of Muslims today.
    And as far as accepting Allah and Muhammad (saw) goes... What you might not have thought is that not everyone has concrete beliefs already. I doubt if you have strict feelings upon another religion you'd want to settle down with a muslim anyway (it probably does happen, but less likely). Personally I can't say I was brought up religious, the idea was introduced to me, and I found comfort in exploring it and happiness in accepting it by myself. Maybe thats a result for those who convert.

ReputationRep:
    Im half Egyption and half Palestinian. My parents are not strict muslims but they want me to marry someone from my background. Im 22 and i want to get married to this girl, we have been engaged for 4 years now. Her parents are fine with it, i go to her mums house quite often. I argue with my parents everday about it. I know Im older enough to leave but i really want my parents at my wedding.
    Arab girls are qt3.14s. The real mystery is why you're wanting to marry a white girl.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I mostly joke, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Do it anyway OP :borat:

(Original post by vis break)
    Converting for marriage, in terms of faith is a sham. You're not converting because you like the belief, you're converting because you like the person.
    Believing something because you 'like' it is already a pretty silly idea tbqh. 'Believing' something because you like someone who believes it is just crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Im half Egyption and half Palestinian. My parents are not strict muslims but they want me to marry someone from my background. Im 22 and i want to get married to this girl, we have been engaged for 4 years now. Her parents are fine with it, i go to her mums house quite often. I argue with my parents everday about it. I know Im older enough to leave but i really want my parents at my wedding.
    Talk to your parents, and if you have a close relationship with your mum for example then talk to her in particular, but don't swear at your parents or shout at them, we owe them ALOT then to stay anything vulgar any who it must be difficult but whatever happens remember your parents did everything for you to be HAPPY AND HAVE A Good life, so respect their decision and be patient

Peace !

ReputationRep:
    Marry her anyway, your life not your parents.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2015
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.