Turn on thread page Beta

Why is university accommodation generally cheap looking and ugly? watch

ReputationRep:
    On a real level the student accommodation I've seen personally is a lot better than my actual room. I'm starting to feel sorry for myself now (perspective of a poor, suburban, working-class student)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    I don't think the main aim is to provide ****ty furniture only to have students break it so that the university can gain. Whatever it is probably wouldn't have broken in the first place if it was of a decent quality.
    Can tell you've never rented a place before! You wouldn't believe the utter tat you get provided by some of the more penny pinching private landlords in the hope light use will break or mark or ruin it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lengyi)
    Yeah, while looking for unis I would often have to reject some based on the "cheapest" (shared bathroom) being like, £5000 and they would look like the creepy basement in horror films (SLIGHT exaggeration )But I did find quite a few nice ones, I think Edge Hill's is one my favourite: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/undergrad...-carousel-2316 (about £112/week)Also, I think I would be fine with most rooms if it wasn't for the walls making it look like a prison....I just got my accommodation offer from Uni of East Anglia for this September and it looks pretty decent tbh but I'll be paying around £5100 for my en-suite room :eek::nooo::shock::zomg:Guess I'll have to sell a few organs...
    Are you sure, IIRC you only rent it for 36 weeks or whatever the term is so it sounds like you might be calculating 52 weeks there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Meanwhile, in the Dignitas "departures lounge".
    That was dark even by my standards

ReputationRep:
    http://www.downingstudents.com/locat.../the-railyard/
    I like the accommodation I'm staying at. It's one of the newly built accommodations and doesn't look as hideous as some of the other accommodations provided by the uni though.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Are you sure, IIRC you only rent it for 36 weeks or whatever the term is so it sounds like you might be calculating 52 weeks there
    It's actually around £132 per week for 38 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Alchemist)
    Iooks like the places old people go to die

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by jape)
    Meanwhile, in the Dignitas "departures lounge".
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    Looks like my Grandad's retirement home
    (Original post by Captivated)
    That looks terrible.
    You have no taste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by titration)
    http://www.downingstudents.com/locat.../the-railyard/
    I like the accommodation I'm staying at. It's one of the newly built accommodations and doesn't look as hideous as some of the other accommodations provided by the uni though.
    That looks decent for university accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.