Turn on thread page Beta

Sitting the New York bar exam after LLB law in UK? watch

    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by christianlaw)
    A JD for foreign graduates is generally a better option yet more expensive. If is just to sit the New York Bar Exam you won't need a JD or an LLM either. I still think that qualifying in the UK first would be the best course of action.
    Ok, just one other question if you don't mind, I heard that completing the JD or LLM (can't remember which one) Allows you to work in the US for a year. Is this true?

    (Original post by zigglr)
    Ok, just one other question if you don't mind, I heard that completing the JD or LLM (can't remember which one) Allows you to work in the US for a year. Is this true?
    I don't think either allows you to work unless you apply for another type of visa. The F-1 visa only allows on-campus work during your studies. In principle you need to go back once your studies are completed.

    see http://www.llm-guide.com/article/400...udent-visa-faq

    "Employment of international students is carefully regulated by U.S. immigration laws. It is illegal for a student on a non-immigrant visa to work without permission. To apply for permission, use Form I-765, available from the Office of theRegistrar. However, since international students are expected to show evidence of financial support before they are permit-ted to enter the United States, be advised that the immigration authorities will not grant work permission to students duringthe first twelve months of their stay in the country. If you do apply for permission to work because of a change in financialcircumstances or financial necessity, you must be prepared to show your sources of income and yearly expenses. For furtherinformation, consult the Office of the Registrar.
    " see https://www.brooklaw.edu/academics/L...ctions_V6.ashx

    Regarding visas you should really ask an immigration attorney or the school you plan to apply to.

    Narrow down your choice for an LLM in New York that can prepare you for the bar some examples:


    My advice is to complete your LLB and then consider taking the NY Bar Exam by taking the Bar Bri course:
    http://www.barbri-international.com you don't need an LL.M to do that.

    As you are planning in advance I would contact barbri international and ask for some further information. Of course much depends on your budget. If money is not an issue taking an LLM in New York might increase your chances to pass the bar exam.

    Is there any reason not to consider qualifying in the UK first? The costs of education in the UK (even self-financing the LPC) are much lower than any U.S. Law School. There is no bar exam in the UK so the whole process is much more streamlined. As a British Solicitors your chances to find some form of employment in the U.S. will increase dramatically.
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.