Turn on thread page Beta

Thoughts on my final university list? watch

ReputationRep:
    In hindsight I think my list is pretty good.

KCL
    Durham
    Warwick

Herts

As you guys said I need a medium/lower choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    I'd go: 3 from high risk, 1 medium and 1 low risk (they're not necessarily 'risky' I just needed a way to categorise them into three sections)

High risk:
    Oxford / Durham
    Bristol
    Edinburgh / Warwick (although Warwick isn't as well known for the arts)
    KCL

Medium risk:
    Nottingham / Southampton / Leeds

Low risk:
    RHUL / Loughborough / Cardiff

Note: i didn't put Cambridge in there as they care a lot about UMS in AS and expect 90% + average

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for highlighting that, I can't be too sure if I did so I won't take the risk.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham! It was always a uni I considered, and the requirements can be met right?

Durham
    KCL
    Warwick
    Birmingham
    Hertfordshire.

I think this is my definitive choice, nothing there (besides Durham) which seems TOO too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Birmingham! It was always a uni I considered, and the requirements can be met right?

Durham
    KCL
    Warwick
    Birmingham
    Hertfordshire.

I think this is my definitive choice, nothing there (besides Durham) which seems TOO too hard.
    Yep looks good although id still encourage you not to apply to hertfordshire, if you really want a safe bet apply to RHUL but I wouldn't drop your standards as low as Hertfordshire. Lets say everywhere rejected you and you went to herts, can you honestly say you would be happy there? Would you not always be thinking you could be somewhere much better? Its up to you though, just my personal opinion, other than that though the list looks great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Yep looks good although id still encourage you not to apply to hertfordshire, if you really want a safe bet apply to RHUL but I wouldn't drop your standards as low as Hertfordshire. Lets say everywhere rejected you and you went to herts, can you honestly say you would be happy there? Would you not always be thinking you could be somewhere much better? Its up to you though, just my personal opinion, other than that though the list looks great
    Ooh, you are helping me a lot here! Good idea. Herts always seemed attractive as it isn't too far from London, the area seems nice and the entry requirements somewhat "easy" (not easy, but thats my wording). And you make a superb point, I think I should swap it out for RHUL, somewhere I would like to go and wouldn't mind settling.

I take my hat off to you, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Ooh, you are helping me a lot here! Good idea. Herts always seemed attractive as it isn't too far from London, the area seems nice and the entry requirements somewhat "easy" (not easy, but thats my wording). And you make a superb point, I think I should swap it out for RHUL, somewhere I would like to go and wouldn't mind settling.

I take my hat off to you, thank you!
    Haha no worries, best of luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just to play devil's advocate #didyouknow - History research at Hertfordshire is rated as ‘world leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’ in this year’s Research Excellence Framework (REF) results. The University's research impact for history when compared to all UK universities is rated the best and its quality of history research topped all other University Alliance Group universities. Overall in this discipline the University is joint fifth when compared to all UK universities.

ReputationRep:
    I can find any statistic I want to make something look good, there will always be a weird quirky table out there that will give you the result you want. At the end of the day Hertfordshire is **** and no employer would actively target it. Just look at the average person going there, we're not talking about A*AA students, more BBC students so why bucket yourself into a lower category when you're getting higher grades?

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.