Turn on thread page Beta

Revision technique for a* candidate watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpmeoutplease)
    Revision cards are key! I made hundreds of them for my subjects especially sciences, and tbh I didn't even read them after but what I learnt from just writing them helped me surprisingly well, you read it from your textbook/revision guide then write it out in your own words using colours (highlight key words) and there you've covered it twice.
    Also past papers- not just doing past papers however, but having open the unwritten paper and the mark scheme, just read the question and see what the mark scheme wants, learn the things which crop up repeatedly, then maybe actually do some papers after if you have the time. (Examiners reports are quite helpful too, it's a shame many people bypass those during revision).

My year 11 mock results for sciences were D's, C's and B's however just using those techniques enabled me to get all A/A* grades in all 12 science exams I sat.
    Good luck, however!
    wow, fantastic results - well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrycarson)
    thanks a lot, I'll try the revision cards and see whether it's helpful. I have tried past papers and they seem the best for me. Do you recommend only writing points on the cards about stuff you don't know about
    Most people just write key facts or words on them however I filled up my cards with the most important facts from the revision guide trying not to miss out important bits. So I did about one to two sides for each page, then highlighted key words or phrases. In my opinion I wouldn't skip EVERYTHING you believe you know as going over it again may help to reinforce it, but that is your decision, if you are willing to risk it.
    I'm glad past papers are working for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpmeoutplease)
    Most people just write key facts or words on them however I filled up my cards with the most important facts from the revision guide trying not to miss out important bits. So I did about one to two sides for each page, then highlighted key words or phrases. In my opinion I wouldn't skip EVERYTHING you believe you know as going over it again may help to reinforce it, but that is your decision, if you are willing to risk it.
    I'm glad past papers are working for you!
    ok, thanks for help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrycarson)
    Do you really recommend 8 hours because I've heard that you should start earlier with shorter sessions rather than long sessions as you're more likely to loose your concentration. Thanks for the advice
    If you have the determination, which you must do aiming for 13 A*s, then yes I would. I suppose doing earlier revision as well can't hurt, but I can only suggest what worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jorus)
    If you have the determination, which you must do aiming for 13 A*s, then yes I would. I suppose doing earlier revision as well can't hurt, but I can only suggest what worked for me.
    ok

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.