Turn on thread page Beta

what do you think happens when we die? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ni909)
    Thx so much like
    Fwiw, I agree with your analysis

ReputationRep:
    What happens when a dog or a chimpanzee dies? It dies, and nothing more. The reason why human beings want to believe in an afterlife is because we cannot handle the possibility of the end of our existence. We are smarter than other animals and we can therefore speculate about the future which other animals can't, but we cannot imagine a world or place where we don't exist, because our existence is everything, it's called pure survival instinct. Which is also the reason why man created religion, but that's another question.

To summarize;
    We die. We cease to exist and we go unconscious. Nothing happens to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
    We die. As in brain stops workings so 'we' don't exist. Remember what it was like before you were born? Yer same as that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So if I can't remember what I did Yesterday, it means yesterday never existed?

I understand the idea we cease to exist but to come to that conclusion because we can't 'remember' what happened before we were born is wrong.

Do you remember your life as a baby?

I know I'm nitpicking lol

ReputationRep:
    I have no recollection of ever dying, so I really couldn't tell you. Perhaps you should ask someone who is dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizah)
    What happens when a dog or a chimpanzee dies? It dies, and nothing more. The reason why human beings want to believe in an afterlife is because we cannot handle the possibility of the end of our existence. We are smarter than other animals and we can therefore speculate about the future which other animals can't, but we cannot imagine a world or place where we don't exist, because our existence is everything, it's called pure survival instinct. Which is also the reason why man created religion, but that's another question.

To summarize;
    We die. We cease to exist and we go unconscious. Nothing happens to us.
    Where's the evidence that nothing happens to animals after they die? Obviously the bodies will rot, just as ours will but on that so called holy and spiritual level, animals and humans are pretty much the same in the sense that nobody knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Where's the evidence that nothing happens to animals after they die? Obviously the bodies will rot, just as ours will but on that so called holy and spiritual level, animals and humans are pretty much the same in the sense that nobody knows.
    I didn't mean that there's proof that animals die and nothing happens to them and therefore, the same would be true for us.
    I mean that nobody actually believes (unless, perhaps, you're a Buddhist and believe in reincarnation) that beetles go to beetle hell. Nobody ever stops a second to think that gorillas or other arbitrary animals go to heaven or hell. The reason why man created heaven/hell is because we have the intellectual capability of analyzing and thinking about the future, but our relatively low intelligence stops us from imagining a place or somewhere where we don't exist. That's the reason why quite a few humans are actually scared of death.
    Nothing happens to us. We don't go to hell if we eat shellfish or are gay or get divorced and we don't go to heaven if we believe in Jesus. We aren't reincarnated, because if we did, population growth would be static, which it isn't.
    Our consciousness stops and we die.
    That is all.

ReputationRep:
    What I think happens when we die?

I think the heart stops beating.

ReputationRep:
    Our physical body goes away but our spirit stays.

ReputationRep:
    Elysium, Asphodel or the Fields of Punishment.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe that my body stops and over time decomposes and turns into the **** that is used in my mums allotment.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.