Turn on thread page Beta

Integration by parts trig substitution FP2 watch

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by notnek)
    By the way this integral is beyond A Level Maths i.e. wouldn't be in an exam.
    Now you're making me sad and nostalgic - this used to be a 'standard' A level integral
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dingooose)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b^2}e^{bx}sin(cx) - \frac {c^2} {b^2} \int cos(cx)e^{bx}dx

\displaystyle \frac {c^2} {b^2} \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx + \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b^2}e^{bx}sin(cx)

Then we can factor out \displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx

\displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx (\frac {c^2} {b^2} + 1) = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b^2}e^{bx}sin(cx)

And the final step is division and putting in a constant of integration:

\displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx=\frac{\frac{1}{b  }e^{bx}cos(cx)+\frac{c}{b^2}e^{b  x}sin(cx)}{\frac{c^2}{b^2}+1} + C
    That's correct And very impressive for a GCSE student.

You can tidy it up a little bit more by multiplying top and bottom by b^2.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by davros)
    Now you're making me sad and nostalgic - this used to be a 'standard' A level integral
    It appears so much in this forum that it's hard to believe that it isn't an A Level integral.

It might be the most common integral question asked here.

ReputationRep:
    That's correct And very impressive for a GCSE student.

You can tidy it up a little bit more by multiplying top and bottom by b^2.
    Thanks! This totally beats my GCSE maths classes. They should bring calculus into the GCSE maths syllabus.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Thanks! This totally beats my GCSE maths classes. They should bring calculus into the GCSE maths syllabus.
    Are you doing the Level 2 Further Maths course? It's a nice course for pre-A Level students who need a bigger challenge.

I wish it existed back when I did GCSEs. Year 11 was a boring maths year for me.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing the Level 2 Further Maths course? It's a nice course for pre-A Level students who need a bigger challenge.

I wish it existed back when I did GCSEs. Year 11 was a boring maths year for me.
    Nah, my state school is kinda bad in some ways because they don't offer further maths GCSE or course of any kind. They do, however, offer a Level 3 Algebra course which I think I'm taking. And I want to take GCSE further maths somewhere because I already know quite a lot of the content as I've self-taught myself a lot of things.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Nah, my state school is kinda bad in some ways because they don't offer further maths GCSE of any kind. They do, however, offer a Level 3 Algebra course which I think I'm taking.
    The Level 3 course is better than nothing but probably won't be much of a challenge if you're doing these kinds of integals.

I assume you're learning A Level in your own time?

ReputationRep:
    The Level 3 course is better than nothing but probably won't be much of a challenge if you're doing these kinds of integals.

I assume you're learning A Level in your own time?
    Yeah, I'm self teaching some stuff. Dabbled around with C1, C2, C3 and FP1 (proof by induction is by far my favourite topic from FP1), but I'm by no means an expert and I don't know these modules inside and out. Though I guess I am learning A level maths in my own time. I should probably worry about my other GCSE subjects a little bit more in truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highestmountain)
    Could anyone help me with this?

Find the integral of e^{xcosa} * cos(xsina) dx

Supposedly I could use a substitution and take it from there but this one seems a little tricky.
    Any help appreciated!
    As this is fp2 you could also say that cos(x)=R(e^ix) then integrate using index laws and some rearrangement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    As this is fp2 you could also say that cos(x)=R(e^ix) then integrate using index laws and some rearrangement
    Could you elaborate on this please? I'm very keen to know what you mean by cos(x)=R(e^ix).

ReputationRep:
    Could you elaborate on this please? I'm very keen to know what you mean by cos(x)=R(e^ix).
    The R stands for real part. I cba to latex the solution so I'll just link it from Wikipedia, see example 3
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...er%27s_formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    The R stands for real part. I cba to latex the solution so I'll just link it from Wikipedia, see example 3
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...er%27s_formula
    This method is pretty neat!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.