Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No. I cannot justify voting for something that involves spending an unknown amount of money to reopen a line, possibly relay parts of the line, fit signals, refurbish stations, employ staff, and a subsidise a service where demand is low, making it a waste.
    Hear, hear.

Also, who cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Hear, hear.

Also, who cares?
    People who want to use those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    I'd give you more rep if I could, sorry!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But is it a big issue for parliament? Members have demonstrated the existence of bus routes between these places, why are we moving to open lines which could (quite rightly) be acquired by private organisations? What evidence is there of the demand for train services between these places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    But is it a big issue for parliament? Members have demonstrated the existence of bus routes between these places, why are we moving to open lines which could (quite rightly) be acquired by private organisations? What evidence is there of the demand for train services between these places?
    Yes, railway infastructure is a large issue. Railway lines can't be acquired by private companies, this is about making them open/able to be franchised. Bus routes are often slower than train routes particularly of long distances.

Second route to Cornwall is needed because of this: http://www.channel4.com/news/storm-f...est-power-wind

I believe the need for an Oxford to Cambridge railway has earlier been explained.

Skelmersdale is the largest town without a railway station and suffers economically due to this. http://www.railfuture.org.uk/A+Stati...n+Skelmersdale

This website shows why the Lewes-Uckfield libk is needed. http://www.wealdenline.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    Damn southern politician trying to spend money down south.

I will vote for no train lines unless they serve the core cities.

ReputationRep:
    There are some other lines which I did not include because of space or because of being unaware of the case for them. I thank the Honourable Member for mentioning Ashington, in an area where traditional industries have been closed. There is also the case for Wisbech in Cambridgeshire, and there will be others.

I think electrification is a separate matter, and there is a need for more train carriages to be built.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Damn southern politician trying to spend money down south.

I will vote for no train lines unless they serve the core cities.
    Infastructure is neccesary outside the core cities you know.

ReputationRep:
    Infastructure is neccesary outside the core cities you know.
    And if we had an unlimited amount of money i'd build a trainline from your house to mine with a tea shop in the middle.. but with limited resources we must have priorities.

ReputationRep:
    And if we had an unlimited amount of money i'd build a trainline from your house to mine with a tea shop in the middle.. but with limited resources we must have priorities.
    However the core cities always have better infastructure. If we want to create a better economy we need to have good infastructure in more places.

ReputationRep:
    However the core cities always have better infastructure. If we want to create a better economy we need to have good infastructure in more places.
    Agglomeration economics suggests that actually it may be better to put your eggs in few baskets so to speak. Constantly pouring money into the capitals and core cities maintains incentive to work in these places.

ReputationRep:
    Agglomeration economics suggests that actually it may be better to put your eggs in few baskets so to speak. Constantly pouring money into the capitals and core cities maintains incentive to work in these places.
    But then you end up with overpopulated cities and deprived other areas.

ReputationRep:
    But then you end up with overpopulated cities and deprived other areas.
    Define overpopulation? They still get the same food, water, energy ect..

The market seeks efficiency, that's why it loves city states (Hong Kong, Singapore).

ReputationRep:
    Define overpopulation? They still get the same food, water, energy ect..

The market seeks efficiency, that's why it loves city states (Hong Kong, Singapore).
    Too many people in a small amount of space so that the houses/flats are overcrowded.

However we are not a city state, we are a large country and we should provide for everyone not just those in cities.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people in a small amount of space so that the houses/flats are overcrowded.

However we are not a city state, we are a large country and we should provide for everyone not just those in cities.
    Most are not overcrowded.

I'm not suggesting we leave the rural villages to crumble, just that we make the cities a priority.

ReputationRep:
    Most are not overcrowded.

I'm not suggesting we leave the rural villages to crumble, just that we make the cities a priority.
    Many areas in our cities are.

I think we should look to focus on all areas.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.