Turn on thread page Beta

Is British an ethnicity? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    British is a nationality and English,Scotish and Welsh are ethnicities in my opinion.
    I think that those are equally nationalities, they tell you nothing about a person's make-up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hai_Ann)
    I got some guy on here telling me that British isn't an ethnicity. I'm like what?
    No it is... my friend is British and she's mixed with something else.
    A few of my neighbours are British as well.
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    British is a nationality and English,Scotish and Welsh are ethnicities in my opinion.
    False. English is a nationality. Anyone of any colour can be English. English means from England. Welsh means from Wales. Emeli Sande is Scottish. But she is black. Idris Elba is English. He is black. This is simple stuff, folks.

Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. English is a nationality, and so is British. It's just more specific. English doesn't mean white. Nor does British. Saying English is an ethnicity is like saying being from an American state is an ethnicity.
    Celtic is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. Irish is a nationality.

Oromo is an ethnicity. African is a race. Ethiopian is a nationality.
    Maroon is an ethnicity. Apart of the African race. Jamaican is a nationality.

Hanguk-in is a Korean ethnicity. Apart of the Asian race. Korean is a nationality.

ReputationRep:
    No it's a nationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    False. English is a nationality. Anyone of any colour can be English. English means from England. Welsh means from Wales. Emeli Sande is Scottish. But she is black. Idris Elba is English. He is black. This is simple stuff, folks.

Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. English is a nationality, and so is British. It's just more specific. English doesn't mean white. Nor does British. Saying English is an ethnicity is like saying being from an American state is an ethnicity.
    Celtic is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. Irish is a nationality.

Oromo is an ethnicity. African is a race. Ethiopian is a nationality.
    Maroon is an ethnicity. Apart of the African race. Jamaican is a nationality.

Hanguk-in is a Korean ethnicity. Apart of the Asian race. Korean is a nationality.

Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity? Aren't they German?

From my knowledge of Korean, doesn't Hanguk-in mean Korean person in Korean? Korean is an ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity? Aren't they German?

From my knowledge of Korean, doesn't Hanguk-in mean Korean person in Korean? Korean is an ethnicity.
    Anglo Saxons are British, the Germanic tribe who settled there. Anglo is England. This is so easy to find on Google, I mean...

Hanguk-in is what it translates to, but it refers to the ethnic group of Korean people, the same way Han does for certain Chinese peoples.

And no Korean is not an ethnicity. I can move to Korea right now, have me a kid, and that child is Korean. But are we Hanguk-In? No. Korea is a place. Making it a nationality. Not ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    Anglo Saxons are British, the Germanic tribe who settled there. Anglo is England. This is so easy to find on Google, I mean...

Hanguk-in is what it translates to, but it refers to the ethnic group of Korean people, the same way Han does for certain Chinese peoples.

And no Korean is not an ethnicity. I can move to Korea right now, have me a kid, and that child is Korean. But are we Hanguk-In? No. Korea is a place. Making it a nationality. Not ethnicity.
    I'm too lazy to read wikipedia's page on it.

Then you and your kid will be Korean nationals... that's what I'm saying. Let me ask my Korean friends if they call themselves Korean by ethnicity then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm too lazy to read wikipedia's page on it.

Then you and your kid will be Korean nationals... that's what I'm saying. Let me ask my Korean friends if they call themselves Korean by ethnicity then.
    They could be imaginary. I think we're done here.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Korean is an ethnicity.png
Views: 100
Size:  181.2 KB

This guy is ethnically Korean.
    What are you on about? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Korean is an ethnicity.png
Views: 100
Size:  181.2 KB

This guy is ethnically Korean.
    What are you on about? Lol.
    What am I "on about?"

He can't even speak proper English and probably doesn't understand. Also I said we're done here. The dictionary definition of ethnicity and nationality will let you know that a place isn't an ethnicity. Let's not argue semantics and "argue" another example since you're hung up over Korean.

Ethiopian? Is that an ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    What am I "on about?"

He can't even speak proper English and probably doesn't understand. Also I said we're done here. The dictionary definition of ethnicity and nationality will let you know that a place isn't an ethnicity. Let's not argue semantics and "argue" another example since you're hung up over Korean.

He searched the word up before sending his messages. Don't you dare go against the facts with your righteous attitude. It's quite idiotic.
    I don't know enough about Ethiopia to argue on their defense.
    Korean is an ethnicity though, that's for sure. I'm done with you.

ReputationRep:
    What am I "on about?"

Korean is ethnicity lol.

I think oromo is a tribe in Ethiopia.

you are confusing tribes with ethnicity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He searched the word up before sending his messages. Don't you dare go against the facts with your righteous attitude. It's quite idiotic.
    I don't know enough about Ethiopia to argue on their defense.
    Korean is an ethnicity though, that's for sure. I'm done with you.
    "Don't you dare." "Righteous." "idiotic." I already told you an hour ago I was done with you. And you don't care about Ethiopia, that's fine, but you can't answer the question because you were the one who didn't understand any of this in the first place.

Since you're still confused we'll end it here:
    ethnicity is not nationality.

(Original post by missfats)
    Korean is ethnicity lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    An ethnic group or ethnicity is a socially defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience.
    So I'm not confusing anything with anything. Tribes is ethnicity.
    My point was asking OP to see if they would see ethnicity or nationality. They seem like the type to say Ethiopian is an ethnicity. It's not.

ReputationRep:
    No

deal with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats;[url="tel:59193465")
    59193465[/url]]Korean is ethnicity lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lmao, THANK YOU!!!

I'm able to differentiate nationality and ethnicity clearly now but that person doesn't even seem to understand the grounds she's arguing for.

ReputationRep:
    Yes its an ethnicity. Why wouldn't it be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Korean is ethnicity lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tribes are ethnicities...

ReputationRep:
    No. "Britain" isnt a country, it is 4 seperate countries that are on the same group of islands. I consider my ethnicity and nationality white English

ReputationRep:
    Hold on love. Are you "anglo saxon" yourself?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.