Turn on thread page Beta

pros and cons of becoming vegan? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    I understand your answer but man, thats your sister youre talking about..
    There's no way of being delicate about it

ReputationRep:
    I understand your answer but man, thats your sister youre talking about..
    I see it that same as saying she has brown hair, its just a fact and it's not like she hasn't noticed

Either way you'd not have got my point if I said 'she's kind of on the chubbier side of thing'

ReputationRep:
    i currently eat meat and vegetables but i am also lactose intolerance so i am used to having soya milk and other dairy substitutes, do you think i should try being vegan to help me become more healthy? at the minutes i am a couple of stone overweight and i just feel like i need a lifestyle change.

however, i dont know how i can survive without meat?! any advice or pros/cons on trying veganism?
    Trust me, you can survive without meat. You'll miss it, but you'll certainly crave it at the start.

The way I see it is that if you're willing to put in time and effort to organising your meals and spending lots of time in the kitchen every week, go for it. Transitioning into a vegan diet will require lots of research and cooking in your own kitchen, so if you're a student with a busy schedule making the transition will be tough. Also, being on a vegan diet will make you lose weight - as long as you're putting in the right nutrients in your body AND exercising regularly.

If you don't think you want to delve into vegan territory though - fear not. You can still be on an omnivore diet and lose weight. I've lost several kilos before when I still ate meat by just cutting back on my portions, increasing veggie intake, and exercising a loooot. Mind you though that when you're on a vegan diet it has been said that there's no such thing as portion control - since you're not eating any meat you don't have to count/limit your calories.

ReputationRep:
    A vegan diet won't make you loose weight, a calorie deficit will though this does happen to many new vegans because they are yet to find all the vegan pies and ice cream- cutting the crap results in a calorie deficit for most people. Possibly eating less from increased fibre making them feel more full too.

Probably worth noting there is a bit of a difference between a vegan diet and a person who is vegan. Not eating animal products is only part of being vegan.

ReputationRep:
    Pros: Feeling healthy and good about yourself
    Cons: Becoming a sanctimonious ****

I'm a vegetarian and from experience, vegans are the most holier-than-thou bunch of individuals on the planet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Pros: You always have something to talk about. You never ****ing stop talking about it, in fact.

Cons: You'll become a malnourished, sanctimonious, miserable husk of your former self.

ReputationRep:
    I always feel obliged to say most vegans are normal people who cant even be arsed explaining why they are vegan every time someone asks. This opinion is based upon having met around 300 vegans

ReputationRep:
    [-

ReputationRep:
    B12 is in soy milk so if you eat cereal or have a glass every day you're fine

Protein needs for an average person is in the region of 50g, so long as you aren't on a low calorie diet it doesn't take much/any effort really, you could get it from wholegrains and veg if you wanted without high protein food. I've never actually known a vegan to have any problems with lack of protein. Some who lift take a while to figure out how to eat high protein because most advice out there is so animal product heavy but once you are used to it it's not hard.

ReputationRep:
    pros - you get to be all judgemental and stuff to meat eaters and thier balanced diets, meat is murder yak yak yak yak yak. Also tofu=yum (apprently)

cons, no more steak and cheese wrapped in bacon. Nuff said

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.