Turn on thread page Beta

Asking a guy to greet his sister from me...is this weird? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nah, I am interested in how she is doing .
    I will pay her a visit when I go back to University this year. I understand what both of you mean.
    I see.

(Original post by Hashim123)
    What on Earth is wrong with people? What is it with near enough everyone in this thread tripping over themselves at the very idea of a platonic friendship, as if the only reason it's ever socially-acceptable to get in touch with someone is if you want to get with them? Do you people live under rocks?
    Excuse me?

I presume OP upvoted you. Also, what are you talking about? OP didn't say anything about platonic or relationship, and neither did I or the man you quoted. So you're being annoyingly strange accusing a stranger of being against something I never mentioned.

OP said he was a **** to her and is not interested in her. It seems weird. He explained after being questioned that he is interested in how she is doing, simply. And I didn't go on to judge him again. I simply asked what is the point? He told me. Are you okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Far too weird mate. If a guy asked me if I could say hi to my sister for him and/or give him contact details, I'd assume he's trying to get on her and tell him to **** right off.
    This. One would assume. But OP says he's not interested in her, so I was confused why be so random? It doesn't make much sense.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably tell you to **** off :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    I presume OP upvoted you.
    They didn't, but I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with anything regardless.

OP said he was a **** to her and is not interested in her.
    :confused: Are you reading the same thread I am? There was no mention or implication of anyone being dickish to anyone. OP is an expat and wants to get in touch with a former classmate who he was close with. She's not on Facebook, so he's here asking whether it's weird to ask her brother. Whatever your take on that being socially-acceptable or not is, the situation itself (him wanting to get in touch with her) is pefectly normal, and nowhere near the ruination you and Profesh seem to believe it is. It's a platonic relationship, i.e. a friendship, and one which normal people would deem to be well within the remit of trying to reignite without coming across as socially-inept.

It seems weird. He explained after being questioned that he is interested in how she is doing, simply. And I didn't go on to judge him again. I simply asked what is the point? He told me. Are you okay?
    Yet, in subsequent posts, you're still trying to maintain that it's "weird" and "doesn't make much sense". :facepalm:

Seriously, the more I partake in this forum the more I get the feeling half of its members are on the autistic spectrum.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This. One would assume. But OP says he's not interested in her, so I was confused why be so random? It doesn't make much sense.
    Exactly, I'd find it even more weird if he said "I have no interest in her, just wanted to say hi". Suremate, sure... now **** off :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    is 'greet' a new urban slang thing im not familiar with?

ReputationRep:
    you basically gunna come off as "yo i wanna bang ur sister."

ReputationRep:
    They didn't, but I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with anything regardless.

:confused: Are you reading the same thread I am? There was no mention or implication of anyone being dickish to anyone.
    Seriously, the more I partake in this forum the more I get the feeling half of its members are on the autistic spectrum.

Way to insult autists.
    And I thought the asterisks were censoring something.
    I thought he was saying he messed things up with her and now wants to reach out to someone who will mildly remember him, through another person who will mildly remember him. Secondly, this really isn't that serious of a discussion for all of this emotion from you. I have every right to find it odd, even OP is second guessing it. Why are you berating me for it? Drink some iced tea and calm down.

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Exactly, I'd find it even more weird if he said "I have no interest in her, just wanted to say hi". Suremate, sure... now **** off :rofl:
    Yes, please, Woody.

ReputationRep:
    What on Earth is wrong with people? What is it with near enough everyone in this thread tripping over themselves at the very idea of a platonic friendship, as if the only reason it's ever socially-acceptable to get in touch with someone is if you want to get with them? Do you people live under rocks?
    ...with the reclusive sister of a distant acquaintance whom you've not seen since 2008?

I see.

Excuse me?

I presume OP upvoted you. Also, what are you talking about? OP didn't say anything about platonic or relationship, and neither did I or the man you quoted. So you're being annoyingly strange accusing a stranger of being against something I never mentioned.

OP said he was a **** to her and is not interested in her. It seems weird. He explained after being questioned that he is interested in how she is doing, simply. And I didn't go on to judge him again. I simply asked what is the point? He told me. Are you okay?
    Don't jump to conclusions, Miss. I only have one account. Also, when exactly did I mention that I was a **** to her? Didn't I say that our relationship was good?

Nevertheless, thanks for the contribution!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't jump to conclusions, Miss. I only have one account. Also, when exactly did I mention that I was a **** to her? Didn't I say that our relationship was good?

Nevertheless, thanks for the contribution!
    Ugh. This thread. Read on and you'd see I said to Hashim guy that I thought the asterisks in your OP were censoring something.

ReputationRep:
    Platonic or not, I don't think her brother will see it any way other than "that way".
    You just cannot roll up to someone and say "let on to your sister for me fam"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    ...with the reclusive sister of a distant acquaintance whom you've not seen since 2008?
    Where was it mentioned or implied that she's reclusive? :confused:

Getting in touch with an old friend is getting in touch with an old friend, and 7 years isn't all that long in the grand scheme of things, especially if you're close with someone. So long as they didn't end on bad terms, there's nothing remotely unusual about the situation.

Ugh. This thread. Read on and you'd see I said to Hashim guy that I thought the asterisks in your OP were censoring something.

Forget it, it's getting ridiculous .

Guys, please stop this unnecessary arguing. It’s not a good idea; I will grow some balls and look for her/visit her in person.
    Thanks for everything, and calm down kids .

ReputationRep:
    Way to insult autists.
    And I thought the asterisks were censoring something.
    I thought he was saying he messed things up with her and now wants to reach out to someone who will mildly remember him, through another person who will mildly remember him. Secondly, this really isn't that serious of a discussion for all of this emotion from you. I have every right to find it odd, even OP is second guessing it. Why are you berating me for it? Drink some iced tea and calm down.

Yes, please, Woody.
    Only answering at this point to clarify this: it's not at all insulting to autists. Autists aren't dumb, they know they have social problems and are well aware of their limitations, they accept that much, and they have an excuse for it. To seem like you're on the autistic spectrum when in actuality you're not - that would be the insulting part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    lol be quiet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.