Turn on thread page Beta

What is your all time favorite book (or book series)? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Technetium)
    As much as I love Harry Potter this series has a certain finesse and quirkiness that other series don't have.
    It's definitely up their with the quirky factor, I've never found another series or writing style like it and it made my childhood reading experience 100% I'm lucky too, the books were a hand-me-down that my brother didn't want, they were just about to be thrown away.

ReputationRep:
    Into the Wild.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Percy Jackson FTW.
    Yes, although the films are annoying cause now you get those lot who watch the films and claim to be fans. Even though they never read the books and ugh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllainKahlo)
    It's definitely up their with the quirky factor, I've never found another series or writing style like it and it made my childhood reading experience 100% I'm lucky too, the books were a hand-me-down that my brother didn't want, they were just about to be thrown away.
    What I enjoyed the most is when he would define certain words/terms (one that has stuck with me is loco parentis) and how through his writing he was able to make the reader feel extremely intelligent and with it (or was that just me?). Aaah memories :')

ReputationRep:
    Loved harry potter and a song of ice and fire but PLEASE read the name of the wind!!! P.s I'm at the horrible stage waiting for books to come out so if anyone has any suggestions for me in the meantime I'd be grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Technetium)
    What I enjoyed the most is when he would define certain words/terms (one that has stuck with me is loco parentis) and how through his writing he was able to make the reader feel extremely intelligent and with it (or was that just me?). Aaah memories :'
    No! It's not just you haha I learnt so much from that series, I felt like I learnt far more vocabulary and about the world than I have at that age with any other series of books. Brings back such good memories, I really should read the author's more recent works.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here a fan of Anthony Horowitz?

ReputationRep:
    The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    No, it's not really intended for teenagers i don't think, the writing style is very mature (not complicated tho) and i think it is more meant as an 'adult short story' type thing
    Ohh perfect excited to try that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanya.chichi)
    It is a TV series that started in 2012/13 (I forget) and is really interesting to watch if you're into sci-fi and comic books

EDIT: It's based on a comic book

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ohh i see i got a bit confused when someone mentioned the sound track haha! sounds good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Good choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jido)
    Dune.
    I really don't get Dune.. I tried reading it twice and tried getting someone else to read it but neither of us could get past all the made up words/language. I felt overwhelmed by it!

ReputationRep:
    Eek I'm reading Red Dragon right now and it is a double book edition with The silence of the lambs too loving it so far!

ReputationRep:
    World War Z or Death Note.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    Eek I'm reading Red Dragon right now and it is a double book edition with The silence of the lambs too loving it so far!
    Yeah, the Hannibal Lecter trilogy (I'm not gonna count the abortion that's Hannibal Rising :hand: ) is amazing, I even did my English Lit cw on Silence

Also, another book I love; No Country For Old Men, tied favourite with the Hannibal Lecter books. Just thrilling

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the Hannibal Lecter trilogy (I'm not gonna count the abortion that's Hannibal Rising :hand: ) is amazing, I even did my English Lit cw on Silence

Also, another book I love; No Country For Old Men, tied favourite with the Hannibal Lecter books. Just thrilling
    Haha have you seen the TV series? If so, what did you think?

Awesome ^^

ReputationRep:
    Haha have you seen the TV series? If so, what did you think?

Awesome ^^
    Yeah, I saw all of it, my favourite series after Life on Mars Season 2 was the best imo, then the latter half of season 3 was brilliant. Such a shame it got cancelled, apparently there were 7 seasons planned

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I saw all of it, my favourite series after Life on Mars Season 2 was the best imo, then the latter half of season 3 was brilliant. Such a shame it got cancelled, apparently there were 7 seasons planned
    ahh yeah it was really good, although I can imagine it made more sense having read the books first. There were some bits I was a bit confused about but after reading more it makes sense now.. I kind of want to watch it again when I finish the books haha . It is a shame it was cancelled! But I can kind of see why.. as the first half of season 3 was very arty and sometimes.. boring (Sorry ><). Plus it has quite a satisfying ending i think but yeah the actors were so good it is a shame!

ReputationRep:
    ahh yeah it was really good, although I can imagine it made more sense having read the books first. There were some bits I was a bit confused about but after reading more it makes sense now.. I kind of want to watch it again when I finish the books haha . It is a shame it was cancelled! But I can kind of see why.. as the first half of season 3 was very arty and sometimes.. boring (Sorry ><. Plus it has quite a satisfying ending i think but yeah the actors were so good it is a shame!
    Yeah, they couldn't get the rights to Silence of the Lambs so they replaced a few characters from it with new ones; Dr Bloom for example I'm planning on rewatching it from the start after I've read all 3 books, I'll even read the 4th one just because some of it was in the show. I agree, I didn't like the bits in Italy, it was zero plot and eyecandy camera shots, it got boring even for diehard fans. The ending was satisfying yeah, I hope there's no fourth season now because there's no way they would have survived and I don't want them to retcon it Mads Mikkelson will be in Dr Strange and Star Wars though :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they couldn't get the rights to Silence of the Lambs so they replaced a few characters from it with new ones; Dr Bloom for example I'm planning on rewatching it from the start after I've read all 3 books, I'll even read the 4th one just because some of it was in the show. I agree, I didn't like the bits in Italy, it was zero plot and eyecandy camera shots, it got boring even for diehard fans. The ending was satisfying yeah, I hope there's no fourth season now because there's no way they would have survived and I don't want them to retcon it Mads Mikkelson will be in Dr Strange and Star Wars though :awesome:
    Ohh that's interesting yeah the Italy bits were dull. I loved the red dragon so much I wish they'd had more of him instead! He was wonderful o.o.
    That is truee I wonder if the actor who played will grayham will be in anything? ^^

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.