Turn on thread page Beta

He seems "perfect" in most areas but he's SO judgmental? watch

ReputationRep:
    A judgemental, *****y attitude would definitely grate on me. So a personality such as his, would most likely be a turn off.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you would be better as friends and keeping him at arms length. He sounds too far up his own bum to sustain something meaningful. Obviously I'm just reading text about him but you will know his character better. Do tread carefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    It's Ser, thank you.

And I'd give it a go, as I said before.
    Can't believe ser Gregor Clegane is so well spoken these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's a good point, I actually met another older guy who's smart recently and also had an obvious "thing" for me and he turned out to be really emotionally immature. He had a superiority complex, I'm not sure if this guy is the same

when i say stamp collecting i mean my little pony
    Spoiler:
    Show
    das it mane
    Das it.

seriously though egotistic people are annoying. I wouldn't even touch them with my 10 foot pole.

ReputationRep:
    Met an older guy (in his 30s, I'm in my 20s) recently who obviously has a thing for me. He's attractive, gets on well with people, we have interests in common like stamp collecting etc. He's given out a lot of signs that he likes me and is always hugging me etc.

Something really worries me though, even more because he's an introvert tho he gets on well with people and is nice to their "faces". He can be really judgmental about people/things behind their backs. He's very smart (he did Architecture and then a Masters, won a scholarship etc) but will say things like "Oh, X (our friend) is really bad at this" or "I hated that restaurant, the food was awful" when it really was quite good. I've said to him I don't like it and he does seem to tone it down if reminded but he has a "judgy" personality even if he doesn't show it.

I am kind of worried that if we got together he would judge me like that TBH. I am not perfect but he seems to have fallen for me too fast (possibly because I take care of my appearance and I guess guys are into looks) but I want someone who is more laid back, advice?
    Stamp collecting? That's a forsaken hobby of the 60s.

ReputationRep:
    that sounds cool, i live in bristol and we have a living history group round here :yep:

thanks
    :eek: link to website? I need to join that next summer lmao.

(Original post by ellainkahlo)
    Maybe, maybe he just doesn't realise how he sounds. Some people are like that, their actual thoughts are disconnected from their delivery so they sound worse than they actually are - I can't say for sure without being in your shoes though. I'd give him a chance, just remember you needn't commit to anything if you find you can't deal with it in the future. It's difficult, as you said, you don't want someone too 'open-minded' or too judgemental. You said you've already told him how he sounds, perhaps just give it some time and if it doesn't change, then I'd just keep my distance. After all, if it's so easy for him to talk badly about people behind their back, there's nothing to say he won't do that with you.

My real worry is, this early in the relationship you shouldn't have such an outstanding issue with him so maybe he just isn't right for you if he needs to change to suit you better. I'm not saying that's your fault, it could change, give it time! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...lies/smile.png
    Possibly, I see what you mean He's a bit "numerical" and geeky so maybe that's why he sounds overly judgmental if he thinks of people in the same way.

I don't like trying to "change" people but I'll try to hint it to him again. You're right, usually I wouldn't have an issue this early (though we're not dating yet). But he seems decent otherwise, often with other guys issues pop up later on TBF. Thanks.

(Original post by jazjaz)
    Maybe you would be better as friends and keeping him at arms length. He sounds too far up his own bum to sustain something meaningful. Obviously I'm just reading text about him but you will know his character better. Do tread carefully.
    Yeah... he can be really friendly sometimes (and not just to me, most people in the group seem to like him even though he's a bit introverted and speaks to me more than the others) but it's a bit worrying he's even thinking those things. Like I said I'm not perfect and I have some things I haven't told him about yet (like leaving uni though I have a good job now).

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    http://static.tsrfiles.co.uk/images/smilies/eek.gif link to website? I need to join that next summer lmao.
    you reckon he sounds egotistical then? Wasn't sure if I was just judging him too much myself (ironically) for judging others.

It's a Viking one, this one I think lol:

http://www.oskorei.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    like somebody else said... Is it a deal breaker? For me I hate those kinds of people but you may tolerate it more than me.

ReputationRep:

you reckon he sounds egotistical then? Wasn't sure if I was just judging him too much myself (ironically) for judging others.

It's a Viking one, this one I think lol:

http://www.oskorei.co.uk/
    Damn thats so cool. I'm joining it when I get back from uni haha.

And ye very egotistic. Thinks he's better than everyone else lol. I always avoid those people until they go away and stop trying to talk to me lmao. So annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Met an older guy (in his 30s, I'm in my 20s) recently who obviously has a thing for me. He's attractive, gets on well with people, we have interests in common like stamp collecting etc. He's given out a lot of signs that he likes me and is always hugging me etc.

Something really worries me though, even more because he's an introvert tho he gets on well with people and is nice to their "faces". He can be really judgmental about people/things behind their backs. He's very smart (he did Architecture and then a Masters, won a scholarship etc) but will say things like "Oh, X (our friend) is really bad at this" or "I hated that restaurant, the food was awful" when it really was quite good. I've said to him I don't like it and he does seem to tone it down if reminded but he has a "judgy" personality even if he doesn't show it.

I am kind of worried that if we got together he would judge me like that TBH. I am not perfect but he seems to have fallen for me too fast (possibly because I take care of my appearance and I guess guys are into looks) but I want someone who is more laid back, advice?
    If it's a concern for you now then it will only get bigger if you enter a relationship and even end up living with this guy. Unless you speak with him and he winds it in indefinitely, I wouldn't get involved. You will only get hurt.

There's far more compatible partners out there for you.

Rule of thumb, it's about what annoying traits you don't mind living with rather than pushing yourself to read the future.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.