Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by notnek)
    A problem with teaching differentiation from 1st principles as an introduction to differentation is that C1 students have never studied limits (and most of them never will).

C1 should include a small section on limits - that would make 1st principles lessons easier for students as well as teachers.
    My personal opinion is that whilst a 'good' teacher should be making an effort to justify the topic of differentiation by explaining the limiting process involved, drawing chords and tangents etc, it's not necessarily useful nor practical to start testing students on doing things 'from first principles' at A level,

One problem is that the topic of limits contains many subtleties, and once you get beyond simple polynomials there aren't many functions where you can actually apply first principles without getting into an awful tangle or going into a circular argument. (Every year I see people on TSR who've convinced themselves that they've found some new derivation for the derivative of e^x or ln x, when in fact when their argument is examined closely they've made some assumption about the behaviour of those functions and their associated limits. It's a bit similar to the people who think they're being clever using l'Hopital on the limit of (sin x)/x as x->0, not realizing that they need the derivative of sin x at 0 in order to be able to do this and this is precisely the limit they're trying to find!)

TL;DR: Yes, I agree the teacher should explain the process with a worked example for polynomials. But I'm not convinced of the merit of testing the student on this in a school exam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 8, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.