Turn on thread page Beta

His argument was so stupid, I had to walk out. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As you study at UWE, I guess hearing people say stupid things is going to grow to be a large part of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    I'll paste the article:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's Not Genes: People Are Fat Because They Eat Too MuchArthur L. Caplan, PhD Disclosures | May 27, 2014

Hi. I am Art Caplan, from the Division of Medical Ethics at the New York University Langone Medical Center in New York.Why are your patients fat? Why are people fat generally? Struggling with weight is a problem. I personally have done better with it lately, but it is a challenge. We all know we are in the middle of an obesity epidemic in the United States. Indeed, worldwide obesity is an increasing problem.If you look at the medical literature, the answer is clear. The problem is in our genes. Again and again, in media reports and in articles that catch the attention of editors at the most prominent medical journals, the answer to why we are all fat is that we have bad genes.Think about it. You go to a cocktail party. You are chatting with people and you start talking about weight. The person says, "I'm one of those high metabolizers (or low metabolizers)," hinting that there is a genetic or biological basis for their size. Or people will say to me, "I must have inherited bad genes. I just can't seem to keep weight off."We love the genetic explanation. That is why it was so interesting to see a paper recently in the British Medical Journal[1] that looked in a very different, but I believe a more fertile, direction for understanding the obesity problem.Researchers from the University of Cambridge conducted a very simple study. They wanted to know how many fast-food outlets are in Cambridgeshire, the county that includes Cambridge and the university. They also looked at where people commuted to work, and whether there was any association between going by these fast-food places and obesity and diabetes.Bad Food, Not Bad GenesGuess what they found? If you put a bucket of fried chicken out every half-mile along the route people take to work and back, they are fatter. There is a correlation between fast-food outlets and being diabetic or being fat.The point is this: Genes certainly play a role in how people handle food, but if you live in a culture that overwhelms you with opportunities to eat junk food and fatty food, even the best genes can easily be overwhelmed.We are that kind of country, too. We promote eating more food. I took a ride recently from Moosic, Pennsylvania, to Wilkes-Barre. Having read this article, I decided to count how many fast-food places I could see from the road in a relatively rural area. The distance was 13 miles. I counted 19 kings, arches, colonels, and so on. Fast food is ubiquitous. Bad food opportunities are everywhere.If we are going to get a handle on the obesity epidemic, then we need to stop saying, "All you have to do is control your diet, and somehow manage the responsibility that your genes gave you." Telling people they have a genetic basis for obesity is kind of an excuse, or an easy way out.We also must begin to say, "Hey, those places you drive past, those places that are advertising and marketing? They are dangerous for you. You might want to avoid them." I think we have to ask people and patients, "How often do you go? How often are you eating there? Do you realize that even if a place has a salad on the menu, if you get 3 Big Macs and French fries, it does not matter that a salad is on the menu?"We must start taking more seriously the dangers that are out in the environment. We also should think about telling our patients that a lot of fast-food promotion and fast-food presence is leading to some of the problems that their kids have.Maybe a better philosophy is to make it a special treat to go to one of these outlets, rather than going simply because you have run out of ideas about what to do in terms of getting a quick and easy meal. It may be quick. It may be easy. But as this study showed, it is dangerous.Let us not point the finger of blame at our genes or say, hey, exercise some self-control [without providing some kind of support]. Let us realize that in a world in which temptation is put out all around us, that is a problem we have to discuss with patients too.I am Art Caplan, from the Division of Medical Ethics at the NYU Langone Medical Center.

sorry for the lack of paragraphs
    The hell is that lol, where are the numbers and figures? I didn't read it, this seems to be the opinion of one man without any solid statistical evidence to support his claims..none that are immediately aware to me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minions)
    The hell is that lol, where are the numbers and figures? I didn't read it, this seems to be the opinion of one man without any solid statistical evidence to support his claims..none that are immediately aware to me anyway.
    read it again. he talked about a british study and commented on it;
    " If you put a bucket of fried chicken out every half-mile along the route people take to work and back, they are fatter. There is a correlation between fast-food outlets and being diabetic or being fat.The point is this: Genes certainly play a role in how people handle food, but if you live in a culture that overwhelms you with opportunities to eat junk food and fatty food, even the best genes can easily be overwhelmed"

ReputationRep:
    read it again. he talked about a british study and commented on it;
    " If you put a bucket of fried chicken out every half-mile along the route people take to work and back, they are fatter. There is a correlation between fast-food outlets and being diabetic or being fat.The point is this: Genes certainly play a role in how people handle food, but if you live in a culture that overwhelms you with opportunities to eat junk food and fatty food, even the best genes can easily be overwhelmed"
    Where are the numbers and figures? I didn't read it, this seems to be the opinion of one man without any solid statistical evidence to support his claims.

ReputationRep:
    Where are the numbers and figures? I didn't read it, this seems to be the opinion of one man without any solid statistical evidence to support his claims.
    the study was referenced:
    http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g1464

ReputationRep:
    the study was referenced:
    http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g1464
    You're beating around the bush. Not providing what you asked me for prior. I had a look and couldn't find it so I doubt an investigation/survey with a large enough pool has been done to gather some reliable data. This is debatable but there is no set answer for now.

ReputationRep:
    You're beating around the bush. Not providing what you asked me for prior. I had a look and couldn't find it so I doubt an investigation/survey with a large enough pool has been done to gather some reliable data. This is debatable but there is no set answer for now.
    this is rather rich for somebody who had the claim in the first place that I'm responding to - you made the claim, you had the burden of proof, and now you seem to be trying to pile it onto me!

ReputationRep:
    this is rather rich for somebody who had the claim in the first place that I'm responding to - you made the claim, you had the burden of proof, and now you seem to be trying to pile it onto me!
    I didn't make a claim. I made an attempted guess and what this guy was trying to say by his comment. Plus, if you are going to have a counter argument, then have some evidence to support it you idiot. I have atleast provided some evidence to my initial statement that there are some genetic disorders and medical conditions which lead to obesity.

All you have done is copy and paste what seems to be an answer to a question from one random man backed with no solid statistical evidence then tell me I'm completely wrong?

Don't bother replying, just wasting time. When you find something to disprove me then you can reply.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno.

If you grow up in an overweight family, who eat a lot of food, it becomes part of your life from a young age. And when you get older it can be hard to break out of that cycle. That isn't to diminish personal responsibility though.

My family always had big portions, seeing as most of us worked in physically intense jobs. However I was still at school, not really getting much exercise aside from P.E. and occasionally rugby outside of school, so I started to put on weight whereas my other family members were all a healthy weight. I realised this and hence stopped finishing my plate at every meal, and got some more exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Prader-willi syndrome is a genetic disorder in which symptoms can make patients have a constant feeling of hunger and urge to eat - leading to dramatic increase in weight gain. Hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome are just some of the disorders which lead to dramatic weight gain.

Certain medicines such as corticosteroids and antidepressants are just some of the medications that have weight gain as a side affect.

This does not cause obesity.

You're wrong

Chin up, and the other one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    This does not cause obesity.

You're wrong

Chin up, and the other one
    Yes it does, finish your homework kiddo'

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, finish your homework kiddo'
    Nope it doesn't, a calorific surplus does. That's all there is to it, if you don't do exercise and over eat you'll get fat. Simple.

Get back on that treadmill kiddo

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess it's the same as saying that you don't choose to be a drug addict. It just happens as a result of your lifestyle.

Same any other kind of addiction.

Like I didn't choose to be sexy. It just happened because I take care of myself, exercise regularly and have a good diet.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't make a claim. I made an attempted guess and what this guy was trying to say by his comment. Plus, if you are going to have a counter argument, then have some evidence to support it you idiot. I have atleast provided some evidence to my initial statement that there are some genetic disorders and medical conditions which lead to obesity.

All you have done is copy and paste what seems to be an answer to a question from one random man backed with no solid statistical evidence then tell me I'm completely wrong?

Don't bother replying, just wasting time. When you find something to disprove me then you can reply.
    hey. dip****. you made a claim that there were at least a noticeable/significant proportion of the fat/obese population that couldn't help being fat - your point was that some people (not 0-5%, which is basically nobody at all, but "some") as if it's something mentionable and not an anomaly, can't help it. I disproved it. it's an environmental factor, not a genetic/biological one which is responsible for more people being fat. you have provided *no* evidence of anything. yes, there are a tiny, minute percentage of fat people that are overweight based on bodily problems, but it is obviously such a small amount that I am telling you that it is irrelevant to even mention it. "no solid evidence"? what are you talking about? did you even ****ing read the study I ****ing sent you? obviously not, so why are you even ****ing talking to me when you won't read the evidence I give you, you ****ing moron? "no statistical evidence"? that study had it all! mother of ****in' god! you want me to spoon feed you it all like a little baby? self-entitled retard

ReputationRep:
    hey. dip****. you made a claim that there were at least a noticeable/significant proportion of the fat/obese population that couldn't help being fat - your point was that some people (not 0-5%, which is basically nobody at all, but "some" as if it's something mentionable and not an anomaly, can't help it. I disproved it. it's an environmental factor, not a genetic/biological one which is responsible for more people being fat. you have provided *no* evidence of anything. yes, there are a tiny, minute percentage of fat people that are overweight based on bodily problems, but it is obviously such a small amount that I am telling you that it is irrelevant to even mention it. "no solid evidence"? what are you talking about? did you even ****ing read the study I ****ing sent you? obviously not, so why are you even ****ing talking to me when you won't read the evidence I give you, you ****ing moron? "no statistical evidence"? that study had it all! mother of ****in' god! you want me to spoon feed you it all like a little baby? self-entitled retard
    https://media2.giphy.com/media/ToMjG...OVurOo/200.gif

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=callum_law;59206645]As you study at UWE, I guess hearing people say stupid things is going to grow to be a large part of your life.[ QUOTE]

Oh come on lol, UWE is a great Uni, it really is!

Sure I've come across the odd oddball, but it's a good place nonetheless...

Gender studies, which formed part of my first year, was horrible though...

ReputationRep:
    Good thing you walked out on that fool.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    ****s me right off when people say "it's genetic, the entire family is fat, they have fat genes". NO, what's much more likely is that bad eating habits have been passed down through generations of obese relatives.

ReputationRep:
    No one gets fat behind their own back. You know if you're becoming fat and you know why it is. Its not the salad, its the 10 pie and chips you had for lunch. Ricky Gervais points it out best. Obesity in not a disease!

ReputationRep:
    People don't choose specifically to be obese, they make choices that lead to obesity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.