Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone doing Computer science at GCSE? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuelola)
    all the people in my class are nerds and are like 7a in ict none of my friends choose this subject i also do triple science i was told i can still change my subject would u recommend me doing that
    Well if I were you, do it if you like it. I chose it because I like it not because some other smartass's are studying it. If you have no interest then you will hate it, it can sometimes be challenging.
    Triple science is very good, I also do triple science, and no it won't collapse with Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by money-for-all)
    my teacher was s**t too , what school do you go to ?
    I am waiting for your response. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    thanks man i will really take ur advice into consideration and trying to achieve a A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuelola)
    thanks man i will really take ur advice into consideration and trying to achieve a A*
    No problem and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Wow awesome and yeep I use python. I also do edexcel, wbu?
    Was your coursework a programming task to do with a game?
    we're using AQA. our first coursework was encryption, but our second one is to do with a game, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Also a bit of advice to anyone, TRY AND GET THE BEST GRADE YOU POSSIBLY CAN IN YOUR COURSEWORK!! As it forms a vital percentage of your final grade. E.g if you get an A in your coursework, but don't do so well in your exam and get a C. You could average a B. And also, if your teachers give you your running total mark. Make sure that you are well in the grade boundary, and not borderline, so that if you drop any marks, you don't drop a grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11easkry)
    Also a bit of advice to anyone, TRY AND GET THE BEST GRADE YOU POSSIBLY CAN IN YOUR COURSEWORK!! As it forms a vital percentage of your final grade. E.g if you get an A in your coursework, but don't do so well in your exam and get a C. You could average a B. And also, if your teachers give you your running total mark. Make sure that you are well in the grade boundary, and not borderline, so that if you drop any marks, you don't drop a grade
    Okay thank you so much that's really helpful info

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 right now and our exam board is OCR. It would have been fine if we didn't have to do the coursework! It is awful. We're doing an Arithmetic Quiz (Visual Basic) and App Inventor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugsofwesteros)
    I'm in year 11 right now and our exam board is OCR. It would have been fine if we didn't have to do the coursework! It is awful. We're doing an Arithmetic Quiz (Visual Basic) and App Inventor.
    Oh my, OCR is horrible, I tried some of their practise papers, the questions are just ridiculous. Your syllabus sounds a lot more interesting than mine...all we are doing is python and the other stuff in CS (binary, denary, networks etc etc.)

Do you program in App Inventor?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Code Academy?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Im in Year 10 and I'm doing Computer science. My exam board is AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizgurl)
    Hi Im in Year 10 and I'm doing Computer science. My exam board is OCR
    You too OCR? I feel sorry for some of you peeps lol. I'm sure you are perfectly capable though. Did you choose CS or they gave it to you to study?

ReputationRep:
    You too OCR? I feel sorry for some of you peeps lol. I'm sure you are perfectly capable though. Did you choose CS or they gave it to you to study?
    Whats so bad about OCR? Is it super hard? I've only had 2 lessons so idk much.
    Oh no no not OCR its AQA. I'm getting muddled up with the history exam board

ReputationRep:
    I did it in 2013, got an A*. It was OCR. I thought the exam was sort of hard though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxab77)
    I did it in 2013, got an A*. It was OCR. I thought the exam was sort of hard though
    Congratulations! You in year 11 now?

ReputationRep:
    I did the exams last summer and did Computer Science under OCR, got As in all assessments and the exam. Coursework was dragging on a but the exam is actually a lot easier than you'll find it before the exam(at least for me). Theory is very straight forward providing you get into the habit of making your answers a bit more technical than plain English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will98765)
    I did the exams last summer and did Computer Science under OCR, got As in all assessments and the exam. Coursework was dragging on a but the exam is actually a lot easier than you'll find it before the exam(at least for me). Theory is very straight forward providing you get into the habit of making your answers a bit more technical than plain English
    Did anyone do encryption in Python for OCR? Do you guys want to trade work/resources? I'm willing to give someone resources and exemplar work for App Inventor only if they give me Encryption work first

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, OCR is horrible, I tried some of their practise papers, the questions are just ridiculous. Your syllabus sounds a lot more interesting than mine...all we are doing is python and the other stuff in CS (binary, denary, networks etc etc.)

Do you program in App Inventor?
    Yeah the questions are very repetitive and most exams are very similar to each other which is great. For App Inventor, we need to do this map of a campus and when a user clicks on it, it will display what the building contains e.g. 10 computers. I'm not really sure tbh as we just started it

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay, that's sound cool then haha. Meanwhile I have to type away on Python...:/
    (Original post by pugsofwesteros)
    Yeah the questions are very repetitive and most exams are very similar to each other which is great. For App Inventor, we need to do this map of a campus and when a user clicks on it, it will display what the building contains e.g. 10 computers. I'm not really sure tbh as we just started it

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay, that's sound cool then haha. Meanwhile I have to type away on Python...:/
    Good luck! I'm so glad that in a few months it will all be over and hopefully the work will pay off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.