Turn on thread page Beta

Help please.. feel like complete and utter crap watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've just been rejected from 2 part time jobs that I applied to. The first one, I made it past the group interview stage and was rejected following the assessment/induction session. The next one was for a food retail place, I did a trial shift for 3 hours where I had to serve customers making things like milkshakes and packaging little cakes for them. I don't know what I did wrong, I did take money off a customer which apparently I wasn't supposed to and the customer left before I could give the change back. Also I think I charged her the wrong price, but then again I had just started and was expected to remember all these prices of the food. Other than that I can't see what I did wrong. Has anyone been in a similar experience b/c I feel really bad, I'm normally quite clumsy so maybe it was my clumsiness that let me down. Ngl I did sort of struggle to package some boxes but then again it was my first ever time doing a job like that. And I was there for 3 hours! What could they have seen that was so off-putting in 3 hours? Would really appreciate some feedback please
    That's so unfair, everyone starts out rough on their first few days, you shouldn't be expected of that much in the beginning, it's a learning process.
    Apply in retail because when you work with food it can be frustrating to get your head around it

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks it's bad that they offered you a trial shift even though it seems they had no intention of hiring you properly?

(Original post by Ghaniza)
    That's so unfair, everyone starts out rough on their first few days, you shouldn't be expected of that much in the beginning, it's a learning process.
    Apply in retail because when you work with food it can be frustrating to get your head around it
    I know right

Thank you, I think I may try that

(Original post by Jabberwox)
    Am I the only one who thinks it's bad that they offered you a trial shift even though it seems they had no intention of hiring you properly?
    Hey thanks for the response. What makes you say the bit in bold? I don't know what their intentions were tbh maybe they just judged me by the trial shift... Do other companies do this sort of thing aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey thanks for the response. What makes you say the bit in bold? I don't know what their intentions were tbh maybe they just judged me by the trial shift... Do other companies do this sort of thing aswell?
    I don't really know how trial shifts work to be honest but I always assumed that if you had a trial shift you're pretty much guaranteed to have the job unless you really did make a huge ****-up OR they had a lot of applicants to choose from.

Just think it's a bit mean to be honest because it gives you false hope. Anyway without rubbing further salt in the wound hang in there OP, something else will come up. Just got to keep trying.

(Original post by Jabberwox)
    I don't really know how trial shifts work to be honest but I always assumed that if you had a trial shift you're pretty much guaranteed to have the job unless you really did make a huge ****-up OR they had a lot of applicants to choose from.

Just think it's a bit mean to be honest because it gives you false hope. Anyway without rubbing further salt in the wound hang in there OP, something else will come up. Just got to keep trying.
    Yeah I thought so too! I don't think I made a huge ****-up at all, I was just completely new to the environment. Thank you very much, indeed I shall!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.