ReputationRep:
    Союз нерушимый республик свободных
    Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
    Да здравствует созданный волей народов
    Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

I'm ready comrades.

ReputationRep:
    The end of the world.

Russia will nuke us, we will have no money left, every major company will have left, ISIS and Hamas will run the country. It would the the end.

On a serious note, I don't know what it would be like. I'm not a fan of nationalisation, too much money would be wasted trying to what I assume would be buying back these companies (excuse my ignorance).

Fact is people like what he is singing and sometimes I do too. If he wins it won't be doomsday, I doubt he would be stupid enough to destroy Britain.

Just remember, the Gov is going to spend £100 billion on updating Trident. You can't support that then say 'where will Corbyn get the money from'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimum_)
    The end of the world.

Russia will nuke us, we will have no money left, every major company will have left, ISIS and Hamas will run the country. It would the the end.

On a serious note, I don't know what it would be like. I'm not a fan of nationalisation, too much money would be wasted trying to what I assume would be buying back these companies (excuse my ignorance).

Fact is people like what he is singing and sometimes I do too. If he wins it won't be doomsday, I doubt he would be stupid enough to destroy Britain.

Just remember, the Gov is going to spend £100 billion on updating Trident. You can't support that then say 'where will Corbyn get the money from'.
    Trident is spread over about 40 years. Corbyn wants to spend over 100bn in 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Trident is spread over about 40 years. Corbyn wants to spend over 100bn in 5 years.
    It's actually 2-3 billion each year peaking at 4 billion, I thought it meant around 30 years not 40 (I may be wrong).

Don't forget, he also wants to close the tax loopholes and get potentially 100 billion or 120. I don't support some of the ideas but I think it's wrong to say he 'can't find the money'.

He could also borrow, granted it isn't a popular idea but this Government has increased their borrowing year on year. The country is more in debt than it was 5 years ago. Yet the economy is, very slowly, improving.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually 2-3 billion each year peaking at 4 billion, I thought it meant around 30 years not 40 (I may be wrong).

Don't forget, he also wants to close the tax loopholes and get potentially 100 billion or 120. I don't support some of the ideas but I think it's wrong to say he 'can't find the money'.

He could also borrow, granted it isn't a popular idea but this Government has increased their borrowing year on year. The country is more in debt than it was 5 years ago. Yet the economy is, very slowly, improving.
    1) Those tax loopholes won't get anything like amount. If firms have to pay full taxes (and he wants higher corporation tax) then all he'll get is their UK earnings. All the firms registered in London for their global operations will register in Frankfurt ECT.. In addition he won't get taxed owed because those cases will end up in court for years and years.

2) The Tories have actually borrowed less every year because they are reducing the deficit. The debt is simply an accumulation of those deficits so irrelevant, Corbyn would have to raise taxes massively.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyns Britain will look like a mix between Germany and France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Corbyns Britain will look like a mix between Germany and France.
    Yeah, France in 1940 and Germany circa 1918...

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic anthem for the new dawn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy2jFE_plS0

ReputationRep:
    Is he really that bad? Something needs to change, the conservatives haven't got it all right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mertblog)
    Is he really that bad? Something needs to change, the conservatives haven't got it all right!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes he is really that bad.

And if you don't think the Tories have got it right you don't want a Labour Leader who will keep them in power until you are in your thirties.

ReputationRep:
    If Corbyn is ever elected I would hope for his assassination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate hottie)
    Yes he is really that bad.

And if you don't think the Tories have got it right you don't want a Labour Leader who will keep them in power until you are in your thirties.
    How will Yvette Cooper or Andy Burnham do a better job of that? Labour used to be able to count on a 40 MP head start on the Tories in Scotland to reduce the number it needed in England and Wales. It now doesn't have that and another Blairite will see that continue, so where will the votes come from? People on the left do not want Tory lite, people on the right will never vote Labour and people in the middle will flip flop in unpredictable fashion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A slightly more left wing UKIP Britaiin

ReputationRep:
    Would't be significantly different from the kulturmarxist situation Britain finds itself in now. The complete economic destruction would come quicker but on many issues he believes the same as the kulturmarxists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    How will Yvette Cooper or Andy Burnham do a better job of that? Labour used to be able to count on a 40 MP head start on the Tories in Scotland to reduce the number it needed in England and Wales. It now doesn't have that and another Blairite will see that continue, so where will the votes come from? People on the left do not want Tory lite, people on the right will never vote Labour and people in the middle will flip flop in unpredictable fashion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    None of the candidates are impressive, and none would have probably won the 2020 election, that is true.

What you guys don't seem to realise is that what is at stake is Labour's very survival as a party. It has no divine right to be the alternative to the right. You have lost Scotland, came second to UKIP in Wales at the European Election last year and have just two or three seats in the WHOLE south of England outside London. Even in the Northern English heartland UKIP is breathing down your necks.

Yvette Cooper is bright and reasonably competent and might put things in place to stop the rot long term. She is your best chance, of a very bad lot.

With Corbyn it is game over. Don't ever say we didn't tell you.

ReputationRep:

You are incorrect to say he could 'get potentially 100 billion or 120'. I assume you are referring to the tax gap, which HMRC currently estimate to be £120bn. £20bn of this is tax debt, which is not a true figure that can be got back, because most of this figure is paid a couple of days late, and only about 10% of this figure is an actual level of tax debt. So there is a maximum of £100bn to be got back. If you think he can get anywhere near that figure, you're mad. Let's not forget that Corbyn's energy nationalisation plan will cost (assuming he actually pays for it rather than just seizing it, which is something he's considered) between £120bn and £180bn.

You are also incorrect to say the government has been increasing their borrowing year on year - they have been decreasing it. The debt has increased, but the deficit (the borrowing each year) is falling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    You are also incorrect to say the government has been increasing their borrowing year on year - they have been decreasing it. The debt has increased, but the deficit (the borrowing each year) is falling.
    Sorry, the borrowing (total) is increasing. The rate of increase is merely reducing (reduced deficit) but

Debt=Borrowing

Try telling your bank manager that you have been decreasing yourborrowing because it only went up £500 this year but last year it increased £1,000, you still owe £1,500 more than two years ago, your borrowing has increased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No union.
    No overseas territories.
    No NATO membership.
    No place on the UNSC.
    More Muslims and third world immigrants.
    More religious and gender segregation.
    No more monarchy.
    Less high skilled jobs as firms cut back their global headquarters here, so we only see the employment thru need for a presence in the British market.
    ISIS and Hamsas representatives and preachers able to frequent the UK with their friendly messages of peace.

I'm not an emotional guy but I imagine I'd be close to tears over the state of our country by the time he left.
    Nice bit of absolute, non-factual hyperbolic scaremongering.
    Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    Sorry, the borrowing (total) is increasing. The rate of increase is merely reducing (reduced deficit) but

Debt=Borrowing

Try telling your bank manager that you have been decreasing yourborrowing because it only went up £500 this year but last year it increased £1,000, you still owe £1,500 more than two years ago, your borrowing has increased.
    But that's not what borrowing means - 'borrowing', as a gerund, relates more to the amount taken out of the bank, if you will, in one year than the total debt one is in. I currently owe my brother about £60 as I needed some cash a couple of weeks ago - I've paid nothing back and haven't taken more from him, but it's wrong to say my borrowing today is £60. Borrowing is the term for the adding to the stock of debt. Your example is invalid because it goes from a comparison of year 1 and year 2, where borrowing decreased from 1000 to 500, to a comparison of year 0 and year 2, where both the debt and the rate at which debt is increasing have gone up.
    But if you just incorrectly used the word borrowing to mean the national debt, then I completely accept your point. We've just disagreed on what borrowing means - whether it means deficit or debt; borrowing is closely related to the verb and therefore makes better sense in being applied to the adding to the stock of debt rather than the debt itself. But this is a tiny point not worth arguing about. We agree fundamentally - the deficit has gone down but the debt's gone up.

Do you also acknowledge my point on the money Corbyn could get back from the tax gap?

ReputationRep:
    Like the ninth circle of hell?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.