Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwinnyP)
    0300 numbers are free and covered under most standard mobile phone companies contracts / tariffs. Just like a standard home landline would be.

Ring the company and speak to the collections team. Or ignore it, go to a loan shark / pay day lender.

I know which one I would choose.

EDIT: You just said he has some money spare for emergencies. This is one. Problem solved.
    It wasn't free for me when I phoned them before. Idk why but I was charged a lot. It isn't an emergency - I meant emergency as in I have to travel home to family (I live far away from them) or similar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    The advice I was given was phone them up (and yes, last time I phoned the 'free' number it cost be over a tenner) or borrow. I don't have anyone to borrow from.

As I said, after his wages come in, rent bills etc come out and he's left with very little, which he pays his phone bill with and we have some for emergencies. We didn't have a choice but to move out. My parents don't have a spare room and his kicked us out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ring the free fone number from a landline - e.g. parents... or send sfe a snail mail.

if you ignore them they'll start threatening you with bailiffs - but if you get in touch and explain that you're skint and can only afford £2 per month (or something) they'll calm right down.

don't take a commercial loan

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't free for me when I phoned them before. Idk why but I was charged a lot. It isn't an emergency - I meant emergency as in I have to travel home to family (I live far away from them) or similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If a company chasing you for money isn't classed as an emergency, then you need to re-evaluate your life. If my car breaks down, or I have a large bill, I class that as an unexpected emergency, as it requires attention to resolve it. I would take money I had saved, or kept as a back up, and fix the situation.

This situation of yours, requires attention.

It's 20 quid. If you are going to keep making excuses not to pay it, then nothing is ever going to come easy for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    ring the free fone number from a landline - e.g. parents... or send sfe a snail mail.

if you ignore them they'll start threatening you with bailiffs - but if you get in touch and explain that you're skint and can only afford £2 per month (or something) they'll calm right down.

don't take a commercial loan
    We don't have a landline, but I could send a letter; I think I might have a stamp!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If a company chasing you for money isn't classed as an emergency, then you need to re-evaluate your life. If my car breaks down, or I have a large bill, I class that as an unexpected emergency, as it requires attention to resolve it. I would take money I had saved, or kept as a back up, and fix the situation.

It's 20 quid. If you are going to keep making excuses not to pay it, then nothing is ever going to come easy for you.
    We can't top up our emergency money, so its not a decision I can make lightly. You don't know me or my life, or how I'm struggling at the moment. If you're just going to be a jerk when all I asked for is help then please just leave me the **** alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We can't top up our emergency money, so its not a decision I can make lightly. You don't know me or my life, or how I'm struggling at the moment. If you're just going to be a jerk when all I asked for is help then please just leave me the **** alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't want help, that's your problem.

Your BF is a lucky guy :yy:

ReputationRep:
    You don't want help, that's your problem.

Your BF is a lucky guy :yy:
    I do want help, that's why I posted.

My husband to be is very happy, hence why we are getting married. Don't question my relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do want help, that's why I posted.

My husband to be is very happy, hence why we are getting married. Don't question my relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So ring the free number then.

He's not your husband if you aren't married yet.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to a loan shark you could end up with all of your emergency momey gokng to them on the rediculous interest
    i know its hard with no extra money going into the emergency fund but itll be worth paying the £20 vs the interest of a loan coming out of that same fund youre tryong to preserve
    Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:

I agree with this. Why do you need to keep emergency money to travel back to your family? Unless one of your family members has fallen ill or is in danger of dying, it is an unnecessary waste of money to travel to your family as an "emergency". However, a company rightfully requesting money you owe to them is an emergency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    I agree with this. Why do you need to keep emergency money to travel back to your family? Unless one of your family members has fallen ill or in danger of dying, it is an unnecessary waste of money to travel to your family as an "emergency". However, a company rightfully requesting money you owe to them is an emergency.
    Thank you :yy:

ReputationRep:
    So ring the free number then.

He's not your husband if you aren't married yet.
    That's why I said my husband to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    I agree with this. Why do you need to keep emergency money to travel back to your family? Unless one of your family members has fallen ill or is in danger of dying, it is an unnecessary waste of money to travel to your family as an "emergency". However, a company rightfully requesting money you owe to them is an emergency.
    I have family who are ill and my grandparents are very elderly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's why I said my husband to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice to see you ignoring the advice again. Ring them.

I have family who are ill and my grandparents are very elderly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everybody has family problems. My dad currently works 350 miles away and is prone to having seizures which could kill him in minutes if he's not attended too. But that is a risk he and my family takes.

Everybody has grandparents that are elderly. Because they are old.

ReputationRep:
    0300 numbers are free and covered under most standard mobile phone companies contracts / tariffs. Just like a standard home landline would be.
    OK, let's get this straight once and for all.

0300 numbers are NOT free.

However, the telecoms regulator (Ofcom) has stated that they numbers beginning with 03 have to be charged at the same rate as 01 and 02 numbers. And if you get a free allowance of calls to 01 and 02 numbers, then 03 numbers also come out of that allowance.

So, yes, calling the 0300 number can mean you run up a bill. But that bill won't be any more than if you'd phoned a number beginning 01 or 02.

See http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/03number for the official line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin7)
    OK, let's get this straight once and for all.

0300 numbers are NOT free.

However, the telecoms regulator (Ofcom) has stated that they numbers beginning with 03 have to be charged at the same rate as 01 and 02 numbers. And if you get a free allowance of calls to 01 and 02 numbers, then 03 numbers also come out of that allowance.

So, yes, calling the 0300 number can mean you run up a bill. But that bill won't be any more than if you'd phoned a number beginning 01 or 02.

See http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/03number for the official line.
    So if she has unlimited minutes or even 500 free minutes, the call to the 0300 will be free. Thanks :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Can you juggle? Play an instrument? Mime? Run down to a local high street and perform! You'll make £20 in no time!

Or, you can try and use a Red Telephone Box which might let you call the freephone number.

Or, ask a friendly neighbour to use their landline and do as mentioned before (let SLC know you can't pay).

Or, pretend to be a patron of a hotel and use the phone at the concierge desk.

Or, ask a friend to use their phone (assure them it won't cost, 0300 is FREE).

ReputationRep:
    Why not knock on your neighboors door and ask them if they need babysitting ?

ReputationRep:

Everybody has family problems. My dad currently works 350 miles away and is prone to having seizures which could kill him in minutes if he's not attended too. But that is a risk he and my family takes.

Everybody has grandparents that are elderly. Because they are old.

this, tbh. I'm struggling to really understand your issue here when there is very clearly a solution to the problem right under your nose.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't have £20. I have enough left of my overdraft for my phone bill and £5 a week for the bus into town for about 2 months, then I am at absolute 0.
    Why not walk into town? The money you save will pay off the student debt.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.