Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinStevens)
    Wow that's really helpful! I hope not, I mean I got AABB when I was predicted ABBC/ABCC, probably because of my GCSEs, which just proves how hard I've worked to get what I got for AS. I know that I could get AAA or even A*AA (although this is unlikely) if I work really hard this year, which I am more than willing to do. My predicted grades are AAA but I'm unsure as to whether or not Oxford will take my circumstances into account - I do have proof of my mental health issues and also about my potential aka my excellent results in comparison to my previous predicted grades. I'm planning on taking a gap year anyway and so would apply this time next year!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the test you take before studying Law and how hard is it/what sort of questions do you get asked?
    I'm a little confused about who's replying to whom at the moment, but in the spirit of trying to help, I'll offer what answer I can to this.

I can't help about extenuating circumstances. I chose not to declare any as I didn't personally see any need to do so. All I can say is, if you get there, the tutors were absolutely fantastic in helping with any problem.

The test is the LNAT. It's mostly a sort of advanced reading comprehension, with emphasis on 'logical' reasoning from the texts. You're given a number of passages (on a wide range of topics, but no knowledge of law is needed) which are designed to replicate the density of a university-level text. Then there is an essay in response to one of a few question which you'll be given. Again, the subject matter is non-legal and fairly mundane, as they want to see your ability to write (and the attendant qualities thereof), not test your general knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You usually answer these best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinStevens)
    So, long story short, I received my AS Level results and got AABB, the two Bs being extremely high (one being two marks off an overall A.) My predicted grades are AAA (AAA is needed to study Law at Oxford) and I am considering retakes to boost my AS grades up. Over the last two years, I have suffered from anorexia, depression and anxiety - will Oxford take this into account with the retakes? Also, I work extremely hard for my grades and have improved every year - I have a lot of work experience, I have participated in a lot of extra-curricular activities and have done a lot of preliminary reading - so would I stand a chance?
    I suspect your GCSE and AS grades won't be considered top notch as far as Law applicants go (For reference, BrasenoseAdm posted the results of Law applicants to Brasenose who get interviews at any college here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3580263), but they don't rule you out of contention either. Definitely no harm giving Oxford a go seeing that you get 5 choices on UCAS. Also, while work experience and extra-curriculars are all good things to have, what counts most at Oxford will probably be your academic achievements and the LNAT.

For me, I'm also concerned about your health - do you feel that you could cope in a high pressure environment, especially in light of your mental health history? Oxford in general can be pretty stressful, and Law Finals in particular is its own version of stress. Whether Oxford would be a good fit for you personally is obviously something that only you can answer, but I would advise giving it some thought, especially if your condition tends to worsen under stress/ pressure.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.