Turn on thread page Beta

B863 - Worker Cooperative Bill 2015 watch

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I feel that there should be a few more criterium to meet to get the grant. Just 'be a cooperative' is a poor reason.

ReputationRep:
    A welcome idea. I would like to see some more detail, perhaps in a second reading. There ought to be some criteria, including perhaps that they pay any employees the Living Wage, and that they adopt good practices on sustainability.

ReputationRep:
    It does need to be fleshed out more with some specific criteria for a cooperative to be valid. However I really like the general idea so it'll be an Aye either way.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    As has been said above, needs a little more detail. Looks good though

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Would like to see it fleshed out a bit more (would like to see the status come with a ban on listing on any public stock exchange for a number of years, and - and I think this is very important - I think the money should be given only on purpose trusts to prevent fraudulent usage), but at the moment it's an aye.
    Aye, I'd echo these comments. There's nothing to stop people setting up a co-operative, taking the grant, disbanding the co-operative and walking away with the money. There needs to be some target associated with these grants - if we can get that put in, it's an aye.

ReputationRep:
    A thousand million ayes

(Original post by Aph)
    I feel that there should be a few more criterium to meet to get the grant. Just 'be a cooperative' is a poor reason.
    Watch your Latinate plural formation there Aph
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I like the idea but the bill itself seems to be lacking detail. You've explained it well in your responses to the questions that have been asked, but some of those details should've been in the bill. Therefore, nay, for now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye, of course.

I shall point out that (as evidenced by responses in this thread) the lack of detail is not for a lack of depth to the idea but rather to give the Department of BIS flexibility. However some good points have been raised and I'll definitely make sure this bill is up to scratch for the second reading.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This has gone to a second reading.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.