The Student Room Group

Why do people hate Nick Clegg?

Scroll to see replies

Well. People voted for LD because they didn't want a Tory gov. Their support immediately dropped right after they entered the coalition. The u-turn on policies was the nail on the coffin.
He wanted to raise the tuition fees even higher than they've already been raised. When he promised to lower them.

People are too quick to forget about things tbh. I don't get why people get ****ed over. Then forget about it after a few months and vote for the same people that ****ed them over. Vote for someone else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
I never hated Nick. Just pitied. He was a martyr for this country, and I hope that's how history records him.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
uni fees the joker
Original post by SurreyJake
They had to go into coalition to make a government which was needed at the time!!! He did his best for the country at the time!!

They hate him because he exposed the idiocy of the electorate. They hate him because he sacrificed tuition fees to enact 70% of the Lib Dem manifesto. They hate him because rather than allow the Tories a majority in a second election, he chose to be the first Lib Dem in coalition for 80 years.
Original post by Rakas21
They hate him because he exposed the idiocy of the electorate. They hate him because he sacrificed tuition fees to enact 70% of the Lib Dem manifesto. They hate him because rather than allow the Tories a majority in a second election, he chose to be the first Lib Dem in coalition for 80 years.

Tories would have been incredibly unlikely to win a majority outright. If anything lib dems would have started to eat into their vote if they stayed in opposition.
Original post by Bornblue
Tories would have been incredibly unlikely to win a majority outright. If anything lib dems would have started to eat into their vote if they stayed in opposition.

With a second election a month after, a leaderless Labour and a Lib Dem party that had refused what the Tories would paint as a reasonable offer, it's highly likely they'd get the extra 20 seats needed.

Any votes that the Lib Dems would pick up for rejection would be from Labour which would simply turn more Lab-Tory marginals blue.
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Tuition fees :mob:

Stuff a Kiwi where the sun don't shine, right?
Original post by Rakas21
With a second election a month after, a leaderless Labour and a Lib Dem party that had refused what the Tories would paint as a reasonable offer, it's highly likely they'd get the extra 20 seats needed.

Any votes that the Lib Dems would pick up for rejection would be from Labour which would simply turn more Lab-Tory marginals blue.

Disagree. People weren't overly sold on the Tories - the lib dems were on the March.

Clegg today wrote an article hammering Osborne for screwing over working families- where was this for the last 5 years?
Original post by Bornblue
Disagree. People weren't overly sold on the Tories - the lib dems were on the March.

Clegg today wrote an article hammering Osborne for screwing over working families- where was this for the last 5 years?

Even so, they'd have taken votes from Labour and the Tories had not yet been in government so Cameron could legitimately claim to be the nice guy.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Stuff a Kiwi where the sun don't shine, right?

Kiwis are too good for him m8, he needs a spiky pineapple where the sun don't shine :indiff:
Original post by Rakas21
Even so, they'd have taken votes from Labour and the Tories had not yet been in government so Cameron could legitimately claim to be the nice guy.

I doubt there would have been another election so soon. I think the result would have been much the same anyway. People didn't really want Labour or Tories. The Lib Dems were exciting and could well have eaten further into the Labour and Tory votes.

But besides- its not going coalition per se - but they should have got a far better deal for themesleves. They felt they needed the tories more then the tories needed them.

Before going into any coalition they should have put red lines down. They should have made the tories offer a referendum on PR, not AV which Clegg described as 'a miserable little compromise'. They should have asked for a guarantee that tuition fees would not be raised. That's just two red lines they could have set. Instead they gave up their principles.

As Tony Blair said. Lib Dems campaigned from the left of Labour for 3 elections in a row then hopped into bed with the tories and supported their austerity programme.

What I can't understand though is people being annoyed with the Lib Dems and then voting tory, which seemed to happen a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending