Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiawaseNekox3)
    so I study and prepare for GCSE in Year 10 and take the exams at the end of Year 11?
    Yes. Also, out of curiosity, why do you want to go to Oxford? Is it something about the course you're interested in or just the brand name/prestige?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dingooose)
    Your study and prepare for your GCSE exams in year 10 and in year 11.
    Well, I am taking GCSE at 2017, and it's different to yours (9-1 grades instead of A*-U) so it'll be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiawaseNekox3)
    Well, I am taking GCSE at 2017, and it's different to yours (9-1 grades instead of A*-U) so it'll be different.
    Grading system and content will be different but the process is essentially the same, to the extent of my knowledge.

And as for Oxford: work very hard and get as many good GCSE's as possible; when I said that top unis might look at GCSE's more in a previous post, I was thinking primarily of Oxford. Some courses in Oxford are very competitive and there will be a lot of candidates with fantastic academic records. You'll also need to have excellent results at A Level (this is more important than GCSE results). If you're quite talented for the subject you are interested in taking and you are willing to put in a lot of work, you'll get there.

ReputationRep:
    Grading system and content will be different but the process is essentially the same, to the extent of my knowledge.

And as for Oxford: work very hard and get as many good GCSE's as possible; when I said that top unis might look at GCSE's more in a previous post, I was thinking primarily of Oxford. Some courses in Oxford are very competitive and there will be a lot of candidates with a fantastic academic record. You'll also need to have excellent results at A Level (this is more important than GCSE resuts). If you're quite talented for the degree you are interested in taking and you are willing to put in a lot of work, you'll get there.

Thank you very much for the tips, at least someone is nice and helpful Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 too, and I found out about it when my teacher gave me some specimen papers for the new GCSE. There are definitely more topics added, some of which were previously AS maths topics I believe. And since you're in year 11, you won't be taking the new papers (you can't anyway since you haven't been taught the new material).
    Thank god. I dont think i can take new topics, way too overwhelming imo
    Hows year 11 going? I started today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenusername)
    Thank god. I dont think i can take new topics, way too overwhelming imo
    Hows year 11 going? I started today.
    It's been going all right thanks. I started three days ago.

ReputationRep:
    It's been going all right thanks. I started three days ago.
    Thats good. What are you planning to do for a levels?

ReputationRep:
    Thats good. What are you planning to do for a levels?
    Definitely maths, further maths and physics. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely maths, further maths and physics. What about you?
    Maths, Economics, English lit and History
    I wish i was 100% good at maths, i would've taken further maths but i dont think i can handle it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Economics, English lit and History
    I wish i was 100% good at maths, i would've taken further maths but i dont think i can handle it.
    You might be underestimating yourself. I'd recommend checking with teachers first whether or not you are capable. But anyway, your choices look like quite a healthy mix. What do you plan on doing at university?

ReputationRep:
    You might be underestimating yourself. I'd recommend checking with teachers first whether or not you are capable. But anyway, your choices look like quite a healthy mix. What do you plan on doing at university?
    True and i will
    I want to go into law what about you?

ReputationRep:
    True and i will
    I want to go into law what about you?
    I'm probably going to do a degree in mathematics and see where I go from there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to do a degree in mathematics and see where I go from there.
    Banking maybe? Maths degree is very good by the way, especially from a top uni. What uni do you wish to go to?

ReputationRep:
    Banking maybe? Maths degree is very good by the way, especially from a top uni. What uni do you wish to go to?
    It's hard to say because I haven't done much research into the courses that specific universities offer, but I'm thinking of Russell Group universities. Possibly Cambridge although it may be out of my league.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say because I haven't done much research into the courses that specific universities offer, but I'm thinking of Russell Group universities. Possibly Cambridge although it may be out of my league.
    You have loads of time don't worry, and go for Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    You have loads of time don't worry, and go for Cambridge
    Thanks, and good luck to you. Are you interested in applying to a particular university?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, and good luck to you too. Are you interested in applying to a particular university?
    Thank you. And im thinking of Durham or LSE

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.