Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to a university in London for high school crush? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    its in east london (mile end)
    Is that in the East End? I've heard and seen a lot about this area. Is it anywhere near Central London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illiteratesoul)
    Is that in the East End? I've heard and seen a lot about this area. Is it anywhere near Central London?
    it is a mile from the centre of london so its pretty close yes

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, and here I am trying to make a passive effort. Traditionally and conventionally, it's always men pursuing women's hearts. Who's to say that I can't reverse these conventions and 'pursue' him? It would be a loss on my part to not to go to uni because of him, but in this case I AM going to uni and I AM going to fulfil my ambitions - only with a potential added bonus.
    I admire your determination but make sure the course, location and university is right for you. Have you even contacted him lately and have you considered that he would of changed and may not be this perfect guy that you remember anymore?

ReputationRep:
    The area around Queen Mary isn't very attractive tbh. Had a look around the uni on offer holders day, the people were really nice and welcoming but I didn't really like the building. I know it doesn't affect your studies but I personally didn't like it XD It's probably because the building is very old? Btw QM was my insurance lol

No offence to anyone who goes to Queen Mary! Maybe it was the gloomy weather which made it look unappealing lol

And you never know, you might find your soulmate at uni and forget all about your crush XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak427)
    The area around Queen Mary isn't very attractive tbh. Had a look around the uni on offer holders day, the people were really nice and welcoming but I didn't really like the building. I know it doesn't affect your studies but I personally didn't like it XD It's probably because the building is very old? Btw QM was my insurance lol

No offence to anyone who goes to Queen Mary! Maybe it was the gloomy weather which made it look unappealing lol

And you never know, you might find your soulmate at uni and forget all about your crush XD
    Ah I see.
    I do find an intellectual stimulus in nice surroundings but I guess as long as the uni is nice then it shouldn't make too much of a difference? I should visit soon and consider, I've got the next few months to come up with an application on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see.
    I do find an intellectual stimulus in nice surroundings but I guess as long as the uni is nice then it shouldn't make too much of a difference? I should visit soon and consider, I've got the next few months to come up with an application on UCAS.
    i would really recommend a visit - personally i found it such an inspiring environment, and it probably depends on your subject as they all use different buildings but i thought the buildings were lovely - also there is a cemetery in the middle of the campus (which does seem a bit weird, but i thought it was really interesting) but obviously everybody has different opinions on things the only way to really know is to go have a visit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebearissquare)
    I admire your determination but make sure the course, location and university is right for you. Have you even contacted him lately and have you considered that he would of changed and may not be this perfect guy that you remember anymore?
    Hey, sorry if my last reply sounded like an angry retort. It's just that I've loved him for such a long time and I know I'd live my life in regret thinking 'what if?' if I didn't put at least some effort in.
    If he has indeed changed or if he really doesn't like me - even though I'm a lot more mature and reasonably prettier than in the days when we corresponded - then at least my curiosity would be quenched and I'd be able to move on and find someone else.

ReputationRep:
    You cray cray. Next thing you will have his name tattooed on your chest. But on a serious note yes we all have those mad bad crushes but seriously girl get over him he is no big deal for you to make a major life decision on choosing uni in devotion of him.
    But hey ho ...you have awesome grades go chase him to your hearts content but be aware of the potential heartbreak. Risk it to get a biscuit!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even recommend someone your age choose a uni based on someone you were in a relationship with. You haven't spoken to this guy in years. This is your future. Forget him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I wouldn't even recommend someone your age choose a uni based on someone you were in a relationship with. You haven't spoken to this guy in years. This is your future. Forget him.
    I'm quite mature in this respect, I know what he means to me and it's not just a teen crush

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite mature in this respect, I know what he means to me and it's not just a teen crush
    I'm not sure choosing a uni based on whether you might bump into someone you kissed once and haven't spoken to in years is my definition of mature. Bordering on stalkerish yes, but mature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I'm not sure choosing a uni based on whether you might bump into someone you kissed once and haven't spoken to in years is my definition of mature. Bordering on stalkerish yes, but mature?
    But that's not the sole reason, I also want to go to a university in London
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You'll meet a lot of people wherever you go and soon forget about him

ReputationRep:
    I've had a crush on him since the beginning of Year 8. He was two years my senior (technically one, since his birthday is in July and mine is in November). I remember hearing his name being pronounced a lot in Year 7 - I think he was dating my friend's cousin at the time (he was in Year 9). I realised who he was after meeting him in September 2010, and he left an amazing impression on me. I began stalking him on Facebook and Bebo, and fell in love with his dorky posts. He's one of the sweetest boys I've ever known, and he was always in the newsletters for his academic achievements.When he was in Year 11, I used to speak to him on BBM. We had such great conversations, but I never managed to get intimate with him. We slowly drifted apart, and both of us have now abandoned BBM. We used to speak on Facebook too, but he doesn't go on that often either. I've hung out with his group several times (with my friend and her cousin), and even saw him at a house party in Year 10 (he was in Year 12). I drank a lot and tried flirting with him, and he took me out into the garden and kissed me. It was the best experience of my life, but I don't believe he remembered anything.

I was half-hoping he would apply to a local university but instead he selected KCL for his firm and Queen Mary as his insurance. He got into KCL. Since then I've visited London several times with my friends, and I must say I like the city. I haven't managed to run into him. I almost did once, when my friend's sister (I'm talking about another friend here, I've fallen out with the other one ages ago) texted him to come out while we were visiting the British Museum.

I'm thinking of doing a History degree, preferably in London. I've been predicted the grades A*AA (History, R.E. and English Lit respectively), but because I suffer from bouts of depression I doubt I'll be able to achieve that A*. I'm thinking of applying to at least two universities in London - preferably three and possibly four. What universities in London offer good History courses, without being too distant from where he is staying (Waterloo)? As far as I know he's still single and he's most probably going to stay in London for City recruitment following graduation...

Surely I deserve a chance? I've fancied him since the beginning of Year 8 - that's five years. My heart has remained loyal to him for the past year and a half, even though I haven't seen him since high school (sans a chance meeting on a night out at the end of the summer vacation - he was about to leave for London...) I'm decently pretty, I've not academically poor, and I'm loyal to him. I must have a chance, right?

P.S. My GCSE grades were A*A*AAAAABBBCC. I got an A* in History, an A* in RE, an A in English Language, an A in English Literature, an A in Geography, an A in French, an A in Music, and a B-borderline-A in Maths. I got a B in Science and a C in Additional.
    Honestly, if you think that's what will make you happy than do it; KCL is a really great university so it's not like you're throwing your life away. There's no harm in putting it down. But just bear in mind that your crush will possibly fade (doesn't seem that way now, but it probably will). Especially if you go to a different university where you won't see him and you'll be surrounded by tons of new people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicJigsaw)
    Honestly, if you think that's what will make you happy than do it; KCL is a really great university so it's not like you're throwing your life away. There's no harm in putting it down. But just bear in mind that your crush will possibly fade (doesn't seem that way now, but it probably will). Especially if you go to a different university where you won't see him and you'll be surrounded by tons of new people.
    Finally someone who understands. I'm looking to apply for three-four unis within that area (Central London, where he's staying), any recommendations?

ReputationRep:

Surely I deserve a chance? I've fancied him since the beginning of Year 8 -

omg a similar thing is happening to right now i'm in year 10 and i've liked this guy since year 7 but i could spend all day lying in bed just thinking about him & us and i miss out on revision and other important things like family time because of this but theres more to the story.....

you probably won't meet this guy and i've heard uni guys generally don't want anything serious. I'm sorry if this hurts you but you're probably not the only girl he's kissed. He's probably kissed other girls sober but if you really do like london take it all though i think the fact that you like this guy is making you like the city, even though you don't want to think that, you can't help it:007:

ReputationRep:
    Finally someone who understands. I'm looking to apply for three-four unis within that area (Central London, where he's staying), any recommendations?
    Absolutely, too many people nowadays looking to prize material wealth over love and happiness

Luckily for you, I live in London! KCL is definitely your best bet; Imperial and LSE are good too. Queen Mary's is quite good, but not the best. Stay away from Greenwich, London Met, South Bank, City, Westminster, East London, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornflakes1688)

Surely I deserve a chance? I've fancied him since the beginning of Year 8 -

omg a similar thing is happening to right now i'm in year 10 and i've liked this guy since year 7 but i could spend all day lying in bed just thinking about him & us and i miss out on revision and other important things like family time because of this but theres more to the story.....

you probably won't meet this guy and i've heard uni guys generally don't want anything serious. I'm sorry if this hurts you but you're probably not the only girl he's kissed. He's probably kissed other girls sober but if you really do like london take it all though i think the fact that you like this guy is making you like the city, even though you don't want to think that, you can't help it:007:
    I also miss out on important revision and studying sessions just so that I can give myself time to think about him. The thing is though, none of my friends know how obsessed I am with this boy. I spend almost every waking moment thinking about him...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicJigsaw)
    Absolutely, too many people nowadays looking to prize material wealth over love and happiness

Luckily for you, I live in London! KCL is definitely your best bet; Imperial and LSE are good too. Queen Mary's is quite good, but not the best. Stay away from Greenwich, London Met, South Bank, City, Westminster, East London, etc.
    While material wealth is also essential for survival in an economy like ours, I would prize love and happiness over it

ReputationRep:
    I also miss out on important revision and studying sessions just so that I can give myself time to think about him. The thing is though, none of my friends know how obsessed I am with this boy. I spend almost every waking moment thinking about him...
    We're basically twins in this situation. I was literally thinking i was going to go to the uni by where he lives but we don't talk really so i just stalk his social media to see what he's up to, it's crazy, weird and unhealthy but i primarily do it when i'm alone. This is creepy but sometimes when i'm at school i imagine scenarios of what it would be like if he was around at that point in time. Do you ever feel like your wasting valuable time in life you'll never get back cuz thats what i do and every time i have a bad day i just think about "us". it's so creepy, that creepy i'm kinda wishing this was anon rn but whatever:auto:

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.