The Student Room Group

The console that makes you are true gamer

Scroll to see replies

I'd say the youngster in question should at least have played a dozen games from a bygone era through emulators if they don't have access to the real deal. Starting with Space invaders on an arcade emulator.
Reply 21
What if you have more than one?
I moved from console to PC and am very happy, but I understand that there is a time for consoles and a time for PC. Neither will swallow up the other. The only thing limiting consoles is how they constantly have to keep adding more and more stuff. PC's are fully customisable to whoever builds them. If you want to go into serious gaming, consider a PC. But if you just want casual and a bit of fun, without knowing the technical side of it go for console.

Thank you and goodnight.
Steam Machines get their own option? Why?
All Praise to the great Lord Gaben. Amen.
Reply 25
Original post by Jammy Duel
Steam Machines get their own option? Why?

Why not?? :tongue:

But in all honestly a friend said that that could be the future of gaming. It was probably jokes so I put it. lol
Now I wish I put GameBoy instead :frown:

Original post by JoshDawg
I moved from console to PC and am very happy, but I understand that there is a time for consoles and a time for PC. Neither will swallow up the other. The only thing limiting consoles is how they constantly have to keep adding more and more stuff. PC's are fully customisable to whoever builds them. If you want to go into serious gaming, consider a PC. But if you just want casual and a bit of fun, without knowing the technical side of it go for console.

Thank you and goodnight.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that the PC is OP. Noone is daft.
But that is not what I asked mate
Original post by LeyK
Why not?? :tongue:

But in all honestly a friend said that that could be the future of gaming. It was probably jokes so I put it. lol
Now I wish I put GameBoy instead :frown:

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that the PC is OP. Noone is daft.
But that is not what I asked mate

Console that makes you a true gamer? N64 or earlier. Shows you have been in the business for a while, and you go back to the roots.
miss my sega megadrive with aladdin on it fam :s
miss my ps2 with road trip on it

r.i.p my mandem
My first thought was snes, but then being a gamer isn't an exclusive club.

But if we are going to be elitist I might as well play along, a true gamer can (or is capable of) playing professionally, or at-least consistently making a certain decent amount of money on one or more of the many gaming scenes. Think your a true first person shooter player, do you win money at COD/CS/Quake tournaments. NO !? then you are a casual gamer.

Likewise with fighting games and RTS games etc.

Face it, we are all casual gamers here. Some have just been around longer than others.
Any League of legends players?
If not i feel sorry for you xD
Original post by somemightsay888
I don't really get what "true gamer" is really :erm: Whenever anyone puts "true" in front of these terms, it just means they feel threatened their hobby has become slightly popular, so feel the need to get defensive, hipster and pretentious to give themselves some sort of superiority over others :tongue:

This.

Im a PC gamer, or a console gamer depending on my mood.

I play games ergo im a gamer. I dont need an expensive status symbol or nostalgic retro coolness to classify myself as a gamer.
Reply 31
PC Master Racist here. Games are made on PCs. Consoles are basically altered, limited PCs.
Original post by RodgertheRabbit
My first thought was snes, but then being a gamer isn't an exclusive club.

But if we are going to be elitist I might as well play along, a true gamer can (or is capable of) playing professionally, or at-least consistently making a certain decent amount of money on one or more of the many gaming scenes. Think your a true first person shooter player, do you win money at COD/CS/Quake tournaments. NO !? then you are a casual gamer.

Likewise with fighting games and RTS games etc.

Face it, we are all casual gamers here. Some have just been around longer than others.

Only a true gamer makes money out of his hobby? Tell me you were simply having a laugh when you typed that in. For heavens sake, tell me.
No Atari?

Quick Reply

Latest