1.64%
    Nintendo DS
    0%
    Steam Machine??
    0%
    Cartridges
    8.20%

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the youngster in question should at least have played a dozen games from a bygone era through emulators if they don't have access to the real deal. Starting with Space invaders on an arcade emulator.

ReputationRep:
    What if you have more than one?

ReputationRep:
    I moved from console to PC and am very happy, but I understand that there is a time for consoles and a time for PC. Neither will swallow up the other. The only thing limiting consoles is how they constantly have to keep adding more and more stuff. PC's are fully customisable to whoever builds them. If you want to go into serious gaming, consider a PC. But if you just want casual and a bit of fun, without knowing the technical side of it go for console.

Thank you and goodnight.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Steam Machines get their own option? Why?

ReputationRep:
    All Praise to the great Lord Gaben. Amen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Steam Machines get their own option? Why?
    Why not??

But in all honestly a friend said that that could be the future of gaming. It was probably jokes so I put it. lol
    Now I wish I put GameBoy instead

(Original post by JoshDawg)
    I moved from console to PC and am very happy, but I understand that there is a time for consoles and a time for PC. Neither will swallow up the other. The only thing limiting consoles is how they constantly have to keep adding more and more stuff. PC's are fully customisable to whoever builds them. If you want to go into serious gaming, consider a PC. But if you just want casual and a bit of fun, without knowing the technical side of it go for console.

Thank you and goodnight.
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows that the PC is OP. Noone is daft.
    But that is not what I asked mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeyK)
    Why not??

But in all honestly a friend said that that could be the future of gaming. It was probably jokes so I put it. lol
    Now I wish I put GameBoy instead

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that the PC is OP. Noone is daft.
    But that is not what I asked mate

Console that makes you a true gamer? N64 or earlier. Shows you have been in the business for a while, and you go back to the roots.

ReputationRep:
    miss my sega megadrive with aladdin on it fam :s
    miss my ps2 with road trip on it

r.i.p my mandem

ReputationRep:
    My first thought was snes, but then being a gamer isn't an exclusive club.

But if we are going to be elitist I might as well play along, a true gamer can (or is capable of) playing professionally, or at-least consistently making a certain decent amount of money on one or more of the many gaming scenes. Think your a true first person shooter player, do you win money at COD/CS/Quake tournaments. NO !? then you are a casual gamer.

Likewise with fighting games and RTS games etc.

Face it, we are all casual gamers here. Some have just been around longer than others.

ReputationRep:
    Any League of legends players?
    If not i feel sorry for you xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I don't really get what "true gamer" is really :erm: Whenever anyone puts "true" in front of these terms, it just means they feel threatened their hobby has become slightly popular, so feel the need to get defensive, hipster and pretentious to give themselves some sort of superiority over others
    This.

Im a PC gamer, or a console gamer depending on my mood.

I play games ergo im a gamer. I dont need an expensive status symbol or nostalgic retro coolness to classify myself as a gamer.

ReputationRep:
    PC Master Racist here. Games are made on PCs. Consoles are basically altered, limited PCs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RodgertheRabbit)
    My first thought was snes, but then being a gamer isn't an exclusive club.

But if we are going to be elitist I might as well play along, a true gamer can (or is capable of) playing professionally, or at-least consistently making a certain decent amount of money on one or more of the many gaming scenes. Think your a true first person shooter player, do you win money at COD/CS/Quake tournaments. NO !? then you are a casual gamer.

Likewise with fighting games and RTS games etc.

Face it, we are all casual gamers here. Some have just been around longer than others.
    Only a true gamer makes money out of his hobby? Tell me you were simply having a laugh when you typed that in. For heavens sake, tell me.

ReputationRep:
    No Atari?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.