Turn on thread page Beta

Article: Nine bizarre things students have spent their loans on watch

ReputationRep:
    In my first year i maxed out my loans and cards and sent it all to some wo/man in Senegal, never to hear from them again?! Oopps

ReputationRep:
    I used to live with a flatmate who completely spent her SFE loan (she only got the basic loan) AND her whole overdraft.

I also had another flatmate who spent her loan (she also got bursaries and scholarships) on designer handbags and clothes, including a £500 Louis Vuitton bag.

ReputationRep:
    This topic could potentially touch a nerve for people because it might highlight differences between what it is to get a small loan and what it is to get a more accommodating one based on parental income.

I saved as much of my loan as I could and then after my undergraduate I used some of the money whilst in my masters year to train as a beauty therapist and I continued with this training after my masters after which I spent most of what was left on learning to drive. I should add that I also worked throughout my masters year because I wanted to be able to keep the money replenished.

I definitely put the money to good use but if I knew then what I know now, I may have considered putting some money into a very cheap property because it's not the sort of money that is easy to come by at a later date (ironically perhaps). I don't know though because a lot of maturity and responsibilities come with property ownership I suppose so it's swings and roundabouts really isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be in a good position I am money wise at uni. If it wasn't for working full time year before coming to uni. I saved enough that I was covered for a year and with my minimum loan from first year was able to fund my second year rent. Am comfortable but don't spend excessively and I haven't had to ever use my overdraft to cover my living cost. I use my loan to cover my living cost and I budget everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well that person who paid off the loan with the proceeds from stocks and shares is an idiot. waste of money that, considering the very favourable terms on offer. anyway, spread betting is easier and you can do it quite frequently most days and make small amounts so thats probs better at uni

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting it to be Rolex watches. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkteddyx64)
    I was expecting something like buying out their college or university they are studying at?
    that would actually be great

ReputationRep:
    Proof that having unearned money is dangerous

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.