Turn on thread page Beta

Is Diet Coke 'actually' that bad for you? watch

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much stopped drinking coke / sprite etc a few months ago and I literally don't even miss them. It just made me wonder why drinking these kinds of things is such a reflex and such an everyday part of life for many people. I used to drink them habitually when I didn't even really like them.

Water is nice!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The "safe dose" of aspartame according to the FDA is something like 160 cans a day.

It's a lower safe dose than some other sweeteners (sucralose I think being slightly bigger) but a hell of a lot better for you than the sugar, as long as you don't keep the drink for a couple of years. (Aspartame hydrolyses to form methanol. :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Thanks for that immensely condescending reply (have you had a bad day or something?), but I actually have an A* in A Level Chemistry. I'm not some ignorant conspiracy theorist.
    Only on tsr do people quote their a level results as some sort of all conquering knowledge on everything.

I also have an A* in A Level Chemistry. I followed it up with a first class masters degree and can tell you if you want a degree you need to get better at reading and analysing your sources like Smash just did for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    The other CT'rs have told me off for having three cans of diet coke today. But is it really that bad? It's less than 3 calories.
    No. It's not bad. The "chemicals" are harmless unless you're drinking literally hundreds of cans a day.

Just brush your teeth extra carefully and floss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vis break)
    Na i remember drinking 5 red bulls, 1 monster and 2 tablespoons of coffee.
    Every time I blinked I saw flashing lights, i could hear my heartbeat and I had to write my essays naked cuz it was too hot. and to top it off I could hear the pulse in my wingwang.

diet coke is deffo not that bad
    Why the **** would you do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Only on tsr do people quote their a level results as some sort of all conquering knowledge on everything.

I also have an A* in A Level Chemistry. I followed it up with a first class masters degree and can tell you if you want a degree you need to get better at reading and analysing your sources like Smash just did for you.
    Oh look, someone else who's yet to jump off the 'tsr ppl fink there well smart but r actually closed-minded idiots lolololo xD' bandwagon. I'm sorry, but if you are so above the likes of TSR, your holiness the Motorbiker, why have you posted here 31,310 times? Don't you have anything better to do?

I know you really want to tell everyone about how you are vastly more intelligent and humble than I am, but if you read what I said it was, "I actually have an A* in A Level Chemistry. I'm not some ignorant conspiracy theorist." I'm not exactly sure how that implies 'all conquering knowledge on everything'. I'm using it as evidence that I do know a thing or two about chemistry, as opposed to 'assuming any long word causes cancer'. I'm absolutely aware that an A Level barely skims the surface of a discipline as a whole, but it's something, right?

I know that the sources I quoted demonstrate conflicting evidence for the carcinogenicity of the compounds in Diet Coke. That is exactly why I quoted them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

1) Sweeteners are still just as bad as sugar, as they have the ability to cause future sweet cravings.
    2) Caffeine amounts in 3 cans is excessive, then again half this country do binge on Tea + Coffee (which they shouldn't) but hey.
    3) You're gaining nothing nutritional from the drink whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I heard on some documentary that sweetners in diet coke make you more hungry (because there is no glucose to be digested so your stomach becomes sad as it has been lied to with a false hope of food) and so you tend to eat more. (Hence diet coke may not be the best thing for dieting haha). If it means youre eating more greens though then c'est la vie!!

ReputationRep:
    Recent studies suggest that aspartame can cause certain cancers, such as brain cancer, leukemia, and lymphoma. It is said to be a carcinogen or a substances that can cause cancer. There are also some resources claiming that aspartame can lead to problems such as behavioral disturbances, dementia, depression, hair loss, and other conditions.
    So yes, I guess it's bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anyaxh)
    Recent studies suggest that aspartame can cause certain cancers, such as brain cancer, leukemia, and lymphoma. It is said to be a carcinogen or a substances that can cause cancer. There are also some resources claiming that aspartame can lead to problems such as behavioral disturbances, dementia, depression, hair loss, and other conditions.
    So yes, I guess it's bad.
    http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercau...home/aspartame

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is better than 3 cans of Relentless...
    Whats so bad about relentless !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    I actually have an A* in A Level Chemistry. I'm not some ignorant conspiracy theorist.
    This is the funniest thing I've ever read tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    This is the funniest thing I've ever read tbh
    ****ing hell your life is boring
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Fizzy drinks in general :lolwut:

Water for me, please. :hide:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    No. It's not bad. The "chemicals" are harmless unless you're drinking literally hundreds of cans a day.

Just brush your teeth extra carefully and floss.
    Legend. I'm so excited to have an actual answer to this!

ReputationRep:
    I stay away coz it's got aspartame in it. Apparently that can cause cancer, so it's better to be safe...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it kind of is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanjida95x)
    I stay away coz it's got aspartame in it. Apparently that can cause cancer, so it's better to be safe...
    Have you even read this thread?

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercau...home/aspartame

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.