Turn on thread page Beta

Self defense tools that aren't completely useless! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treypound)
    all your suggestions can land her in prison
    A pair of scissors can land somebody in prison?

(Original post by Zenarthra)
    This is why i think it should be compulsory for every man to take boxing lessons.
    Most likely, they attacked you because you both looked weak.
    I have never in my life been attacked by anyone, even when walking past a dangerous area by myself at 3am.
    The first step is to look intimidating, the second step is to know who to defend yourself.
    For women, your best bet would be pepper spray.
    If i was going to attack someone weak, pepper spray would be very effective followed by a taser.
    If they made everybody take boxing lessons, muggers would be able to box too...

ReputationRep:
    umbrella

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    A pair of scissors can land somebody in prison?

If they made everybody take boxing lessons, muggers would be able to box too...
    Yeah but its much harder to rob another person who can also box.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about self defense, however, there is a reason why Krav Maga is basic training in the Israeli army.

ReputationRep:
    This is why i think it should be compulsory for every man to take boxing lessons.
    Most likely, they attacked you because you both looked weak.
    I have never in my life been attacked by anyone, even when walking past a dangerous area by myself at 3am.
    The first step is to look intimidating, the second step is to know who to defend yourself.
    For women, your best bet would be pepper spray.
    If i was going to attack someone weak, pepper spray would be very effective followed by a taser.
    Not sure how you figured that? My boyfriend was over six foot and pretty built. If anything it was probably because he didn't look weak that they wanted to have a crack. Easy thing to do when you outnumber two innocent people on the street I guess.
    Just because it hasn;t happened to you doesn't mean it always happens for a reason...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemprim)
    Not sure how you figured that? My boyfriend was over six foot and pretty built. If anything it was probably because he didn't look weak that they wanted to have a crack. Easy thing to do when you outnumber two innocent people on the street I guess.
    Just because it hasn;t happened to you doesn't mean it always happens for a reason...
    I don't believe he was pretty built, otherwise he wouldn't have been messed with.
    There are videos of 6'4 twigs getting bullied and beaten up by smaller guys.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe he was pretty built, otherwise he wouldn't have been messed with.
    There are videos of 6'4 twigs getting bullied and beaten up by smaller guys.
    Wow, amazing that you were there the night he was murdered, and nobody saw you huh? Or are you just all seeing all knowing Do***bag? I'd like to see anyone, however built they are, try and take on a group of 4 guys whilst his girlfriend is getting the **** kicked out of her. Because of course... it's absolutely impossible for anyone to attack you unless you look weak right. Despite the fact I'm a powerlifter, and so I naturally used to date guys who were into the same thing thing.

You trolling or what?
    Everyone here had really helpful suggestions, you just wanted to come along and and puff your chest out like you're a big man and no one would EVER dare attack you right? You wanted a reaction, well done.
    Go insult someone elses dead partner you waste of space.

ReputationRep:
    The government have banned pretty much all means of legal self defence against someone with a knife/weapon. Get mugged, call the police and have a cuppa to sooth the loss of all your money.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, amazing that you were there the night he was murdered, and nobody saw you huh? Or are you just all seeing all knowing Do***bag? I'd like to see anyone, however built they are, try and take on a group of 4 guys whilst his girlfriend is getting the **** kicked out of her. Because of course... it's absolutely impossible for anyone to attack you unless you look weak right. Despite the fact I'm a powerlifter, and so I naturally used to date guys who were into the same thing thing.

You trolling or what?
    Everyone here had really helpful suggestions, you just wanted to come along and and puff your chest out like you're a big man and no one would EVER dare attack you right? You wanted a reaction, well done.
    Go insult someone elses dead partner you waste of space.
    My apologies, but please note he was a body builder and not a fighter.
    I would mess with a body builder any day how ever tall he was. I mean I'm 6ft, he won't be that much taller than me.
    I dont intend to offend, but what happened during that night?
    Who were these people?
    How did you escape?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You can get pepper spray that's disguised as lipstick or perfume, very effective defense weapon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    You can get pepper spray that's disguised as lipstick or perfume, very effective defense weapon
    Pepper spray is illegal
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    Pepper spray is illegal
    Yeh......... but perfume or lipstick isn't

ReputationRep:
    My apologies, but please note he was a body builder and not a fighter.
    I would mess with a body builder any day how ever tall he was. I mean I'm 6ft, he won't be that much taller than me.
    I dont intend to offend, but what happened during that night?
    Who were these people?
    How did you escape?
    Yeah, I know and you're right, he wasn't a fighter. My point was just he didn't look weak either. Sorry for being overly touchy, it's still a difficult subject. And I didn't get away. They never found the guys that did it. They were just following us home one night, hurling abuse at us, I think they were probably high. I don;t remember much of what actually happened other than setting off my pathetic little rape alarm. But I woke up in hospital with a few broken ribs and a ****ed up nose for life, and my boyfriend died, despite best efforts, from bleeding in his brain. There was no reason for any of it. That's the hardest part.

If there was a reason, like we were picking a fight, I wouldn't feel so worried to be out alone. But there was none. And it's the realisation that it could happen again at any time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh......... but perfume or lipstick isn't
    Pepper spray relies on the wind. What if it's blowing your way?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Pepper spray relies on the wind. What if it's blowing your way?
    Nope, only the types that spray out mist are significantly affected by the wind. You can also get types that spray it out in a stream of liquid at force, which when used in close quarters has little to no chance of being blown backwards (the little chance being under extreme weather conditions i.e. gale force winds).

ReputationRep:
    I have a spray which is perfectly legal it drowns the attacker in red ooze that doesn't come off for several days.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, only the types that spray out mist are significantly effected by the wind. You can also get types that spray it out in a stream of liquid at force, which when used in close quarters has little to no chance of being blown backwards (the little chance being under extreme weather conditions i.e. gale force winds).
    They're still illegal. Yes, the CLA section 3 may allow reasonable force in self defence/prevention of a crime, but pepper spray is both an offensive weapon and a 'noxious thing' (as defined in law). You'll also be arrested if it's found on you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    They're still illegal. Yes, the CLA section 3 may allow reasonable force in self defence/prevention of a crime, but pepper spray is both an offensive weapon and a 'noxious thing' (as defined in law). You'll also be arrested if it's found on you.
    Yep, already acknowledged that it's illegal, thanks. As I also said though, they often come disguised as other inconspicuous things like perfume or a lighter, you could still get caught by an eagle eyed cop but the chances of not her not only getting searched but also the cop taking apart said item and inspecting the liquid thoroughly are very slim. Guess it's a chance the OP may wish to take in order to protect herself.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know and you're right, he wasn't a fighter. My point was just he didn't look weak either. Sorry for being overly touchy, it's still a difficult subject. And I didn't get away. They never found the guys that did it. They were just following us home one night, hurling abuse at us, I think they were probably high. I don;t remember much of what actually happened other than setting off my pathetic little rape alarm. But I woke up in hospital with a few broken ribs and a ****ed up nose for life, and my boyfriend died, despite best efforts, from bleeding in his brain. There was no reason for any of it. That's the hardest part.

If there was a reason, like we were picking a fight, I wouldn't feel so worried to be out alone. But there was none. And it's the realisation that it could happen again at any time.
    What kind of abuse, what names?
    I agree they were probably high, no one would do this.
    And they still haven't been found? CCTV?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, already acknowledged that it's illegal, thanks. As I also said though, they often come disguised as other inconspicuous things like perfume or a lighter, you could still get caught by an eagle eyed cop but the chances of not her not only getting searched but also the cop taking apart said item and inspecting the liquid thoroughly are very slim. Guess it's a chance the OP may wish to take in order to protect herself.
    This is true. After all, if it's disguised the only time it will be found is if it's been used. And if it's been used... It's done its job, and I doubt the attacker is going to report it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.