Turn on thread page Beta

Men want to spend more time at home – even if it means taking a pay cut watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrackPuppy)
    As nice as that sounds.The whole idea of a 9-5 work day is actually been found to be a cause of sleep deprivation and has major impacts on a person's health. The Oxford Study came out not too long ago, actually. Here' the link to an article if you'd like to read it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...privation.html
    See! We are all enslaving ourselves. It's ****ing stupid. Monkeys manage to get more sleep than us and they spend all day picking their nose.

This is the crux of it though. This starting at ten can only work for certain job types. A middle class office type job, sure. But if you are a wage slave you are just a bit of machinery. The people who you generate profit for treat you as such, they want maximum output so you work 6am - 2pm and then the next shift is 2pm to 10pm to ensure the most stuff is produced, stored or shipped or what have you. The machinery's health is a secondary consideration.

Plus there are jobs where there are legit reasons for working bad hours like in hospitals and stuff.

Also babies are a major cause of sleep deprivation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I want a stay at home husband....
    I shall propose to you then Ferry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I shall propose to you then Ferry.
    I'm not at an adequate place on the earning scale and also have a long term partner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    See! We are all enslaving ourselves. It's ****ing stupid. Monkeys manage to get more sleep than us and they spend all day picking their nose.

This is the crux of it though. This starting at ten can only work for certain job types. A middle class office type job, sure. But if you are a wage slave you are just a bit of machinery. The people who you generate profit for treat you as such, they want maximum output so you work 6am - 2pm and then the next shift is 2pm to 10pm to ensure the most stuff is produced, stored or shipped or what have you. The machinery's health is a secondary consideration.

Plus there are jobs where there are legit reasons for working bad hours like in hospitals and stuff.

Also babies are a major cause of sleep deprivation
    Well. What is a corporation's goal? To make money. If you look at this way it makes sense for them to want maximum efficiency. But at the same time, us humans are squishy creatures of comfort. We cant work a 20 hour day. We just cant, it'd be silly to ask someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Well I definitely am.
    It saddens me the absolute bull**** both genders have to go to, purely because of their gender.

I find it sad then men feel like they have to and are expected work more hours than their partners. And I think it's ridiculous that fathers lose so much time over their kids because it's seen as the woman's role to look after them.

Men go through a lot of bull**** in their life, no wonder their suicide rates are so high in comparison to women's.

Make no mistake, many women care about this.
    :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I'm not at an adequate place on the earning scale and also have a long term partner
    Me too. Well, we can only hope :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrackPuppy)
    As nice as that sounds.The whole idea of a 9-5 work day is actually been found to be a cause of sleep deprivation and has major impacts on a person's health. The Oxford Study came out not too long ago, actually. Here' the link to an article if you'd like to read it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...privation.html
    Oh yes i totally agree with this article, sleep is very very important to me and if i dont get 10 hours a night it destabalises my mental health. I guess in an ideal world we'd work something like 10 - 4 but id count my lucky stars for 9 - 5 after my experience of retail hours

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.